Blur, Hyde Park v Glastonbury

Guest marktea

I think the difference (I was not at the hyde park gigs) was that Glasto was simply unknown we all knew they'd be good and bang out some tunes what we (and seemingly the band) didn't know how emotional for the band it'd be and how it all came together and felt so right. Hyde park the expectations would have been set excedingly high after every review of glasto was supperb.

I think the difference (I was not at the hyde park gigs) was that Glasto was simply unknown we all knew they'd be good and bang out some tunes what we (and seemingly the band) didn't know how emotional for the band it'd be and how it all came together and felt so right. Hyde park the expectations would have been set excedingly high after every review of glasto was supperb.

tonight was f**king immense. Damon asked the people at the front to stop having such a good time cos it was a health and safety issue...

Think the set was identical to the glasto set, but i didnt see them at glasto so a bit unsure.

How good was FloMo though! easily the best support of the day. Vamp weekend are just an american the view... rubbish

tonight was f**king immense. Damon asked the people at the front to stop having such a good time cos it was a health and safety issue...

Think the set was identical to the glasto set, but i didnt see them at glasto so a bit unsure.

How good was FloMo though! easily the best support of the day. Vamp weekend are just an american the view... rubbish

Hyde Park was piss in comparison to Glasto.

You'd think a crowd of exclusively Blur fans would create a better atmosphere, but there was none at all, just full of twats pushing, fighting, security coming through...

Tender was the case in point, the spontaneous singalong was the high point of Glasto whereas nobody bothered in Hyde Park.

Also Sunday Sunday where Damon encouraged everyone to go mad and run around... at Glasto we all did... in London you felt like you'd've been beaten up if you'd done the same thing.

And obviously I'd rather have flags than cups of piss and bottle fights.

Can't actually say Blur performed any worse though.

"thought on Sunday they started off pretty shakily but once they hit their stride 3 or 4 songs in, they were fantastic. Albarn looked as if he was on something throughout the show, particularly when he started crying. Only started to smile near the end of the show"

I think Damon was extremely nervous about the gig because there have been reports of him breaking down during the day. The band including Coxon hadn't played together infront of that many people for over ten years and i think it meant an awful lot to them.

I have seen Blur quite a few times in the past but Sunday was probably the best performance i have seen them do. I agree that they were a bit shakey to start but when the nerves started to subside and the band could see everybody engaging with them it became amazing.

There has been a lot of water under the bridge, especially with Coxon and Albarn and i suppose the fact that they had finally managed to become friends again and were playing together and at glastonbury probably brought a whole host of emmotions out. All the band members have had success in their own right but the sum of the parts which make Blur makes something special. Life wouldn't be the same for them or for us without Blur!!!!

adjwholovesmusic

Saw Blur at Hyde Park last night having seen them at Glastonbury at the weekend. They were good last night but just not a patch on the epic performance on Sunday. Obviously the two events are very different but some thoughts occurred that were linked to some of the discussions on here this week:

The sound / stage / screens / lighting at Hyde Park were nowhere near as good as the Pyramid.

I was starting to get pi**ed off at the number of flags at Glasto this year at the Pyramid. Last night I missed them. So as a a flag sceptic I do have to agree that flags add something - not those massive banners though (such as the Sausage one!).

There were no chairs at Hyde Park. This was a definite improvement on Glasto (and I took chairs to Glasto as I had kids with me). However, the general restrictiveness in the park in terms of what you could take in (drink chairs flags etc) was definitely not a good thing.

Overall I think the main point is that the Glasto policy of letting everone do what they want is the only way. Some will get annoyed with flags, some will get annoyed with chairs but the overall freedom of the mix is a magic combination and to mess with that would be a mistake.

Spoke to someone in the crowed and got blanked. Didn't happen once in four days at Glasto where everyone seemed to be up for a chat.

The very wide mix of ages at Glasto is a fantastic thing. Much tighter age range last night on the whole.

Shorter sets are not necessarily a bad thing. Blur were on stage for longer last night but this reduced some of the intensity and impact compared with the Glasto set.

Er that's it..... Overall a brilliant return from Blur this week though.

And to whoever asked about Hyde Park- thought it was a very good venue, which surprised me. Great sound, and seemed to be a slight slope which provided a good view. Only criticism was the lack of No Distance Left To Run. Apart from that they were brilliant, especially This Is A Low.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I didn't know much about Blur before I saw them at Glasto, as I was a bit young when they were big, but obviously I knew the really big songs like Song 2 and Parklife. I got a copy of the greatest hits to listen to beforehand, and got to know quite a few songs off that. I thought they were really good.

Seeing them live just blew me away! Since me and my sister are only 5ft1, we were a bit further back and stood on our camping chairs so we could see. It was one of the best shows I've ever been to, and I've been to a lot. Tender was simply magical. It has got to be my favourite moments of any gig I've been to and really holds sentimental value.