Twitter

Guest WS_Jack_III

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends who you 'follow' I think, I don't feel the need to know what my friends are doing every minute of the day but I follow people like Graham Linehan, Charlie Brooker, Dave Gorman etc. who tend to just post links to things they have found interesting. Its a really lazy way to find stuff worth looking at online! I agree that some celebrity ones are totally pointless though, Stephen Fry has millions of 'followers' and all he ever says is that he's having a cup of tea, or walking to the shop!!

LanaKay is going to sleep now!!! Uugh hate speaking in the third person!!

Never bothered opening a MySpace account, got pissed off with all the inane virtual gifts, quizzes and other pointless apps that people kept sending me on Facebook and couldn't see the point of Twitter when I first checked it out sometime last year, but I decided to try it again to see what all the fuss was about and now find it quite useful.

If someone posts every time they fart, don't moan about it, just don't follow them, it's easy to sort the wheat from the chaf.

I find it handy for getting Glasto information direct from the horses mouth before it appears on news sites and forums. Amongst Glasto related Twitterers are Glasto Fest, Emily Eavis, Brothers Cider, LeftField, Billy Bragg, Croisent Neuf, SeeTickets, BBCGlasto etc, etc Many bands announce their Glasto appearances on Twitter before anywhere else.

One of the best tools is the live search facility, you can set up a search such as "glastonbury glasto -ct -connecticut" to see what's being said about Glasto in real time, you'll often catch a band self confirming this way.

Alternatively, you can read a mike99 thread or spectate yet another Neil and Worm pissing contest on here :P

people come out of the offices opposite where i work going "ooh ja, catch me on my myspace / facebook (whatever) hehehehehe!" they sit at terminals all day chatting on the internet & sit yards away from each other :P . it's probably to finish off conversations they couldn't do in work time (gossip, slag off other members of staff, bask in their own self importance....) lol. glad i don't work in that kind of environment. i would've stabbed them all! :ph34r:

• 7 months later...

I don't understand Twitter, at all.

From what I understand, all it is about is it's taking A.D.D-addled celebrity based entertainment to it's total extreme; mis-spelt brain-farts from people "off the tele an' that".

What's next? Emote? A program where all you do is post a smilie to 'express' yourself? Because typing words will just be too much work in the future for some.

12/01/2010 at 2:45pm, Emily is :P

12/01/2010 at 2:59pm, Jack replied :P

12/01/2010 at 3:04pm, Emily replied :P

12/01/2010 at 3:04pm, Jack replied :P

I thought Facebook was simple and basic enough for practically anyone to promote their gaudy, uninteresting personalities. I guess I was wrong. I guess Twitter is for people like my cousin; someone who can't use use an ipod because it's (and I quote) "too technical".

I'm not decrying a breakdown in society, I won't go that far, but Twitter is for retards.

Edited by Purple Monkey

I dont mind twitter, but all of the famous twitterers like richard herring and stephen fry and graham linehan twitter far too f**king much for me, its like a flood. I just unfollowed them all. it is good for updates from your fave bands, festies, telly progs etc. and much quicker and more reliable. trent reznor used to be great.

Edited by the_frame

I don't understand Twitter, at all.

From what I understand, all it is about is it's taking A.D.D-addled celebrity based entertainment to it's total extreme; mis-spelt brain-farts from people "off the tele an' that".

What's next? Emote? A program where all you do is post a smilie to 'express' yourself? Because typing words will just be too much work in the future for some.

12/01/2010 at 2:45pm, Emily is :P

12/01/2010 at 2:59pm, Jack replied :P

12/01/2010 at 3:04pm, Emily replied :P

12/01/2010 at 3:04pm, Jack replied :P

I thought Facebook was simple and basic enough for practically anyone to promote their gaudy, uninteresting personalities. I guess I was wrong. I guess Twitter is for people like my cousin; someone who can't use use an ipod because it's (and I quote) "too technical".

I'm not decrying a breakdown in society, I won't go that far, but Twitter is for retards.

The problem with twitter is its media coverage. It is only ever mentioned in relation to so called 'celebrities' writing shockingly inane revelations.

If it was used properly, rather than over-run by dim nobodies and dimmer wannabes, then it could actually be a very powerful tool.

An example - something that was reported online but didn't reach the print and tv media very much - was its use during and after the Iran elections last year.

While most media websites (bbc, cnn, etc) were inaccessible due to government bans, Iranian members could upload video, images and news about current events (widespread riots, murders, raids, corruption) to twitter, with all tweets that included an '#iranelection' tag included into a rolling page of real time events.

This information would have never been seen a year or two ago.

It got to the point where the US government (who admittedly shouldn't have got involved) persuaded twitter to hold off with maintenance during this time.

To me, that demonstrates a new type of information media that if used properly could be pretty fundamental to the whole world.

Of course, it'll will probably die out when amy winehouse closes her account (or dies too)

Edited by //ross

• 2 months later...

Ahhh this thread may help me...

I'm new to it, but only 1 or 2 of my mates use Twitter. I'm finding it really useful (contrary to most of the posts i've seen here) but how can I find interesting 'normal' people to follow rather than just celebrities (who are actually prooving quite useful!)?

I have a total of 5 followers on it, pathetic I know!

So i made the jump to facebook recently. I was on myspace but absolutely nobody i know uses it anymore and i find it mainly usefull for Music. It is interesting how myspace has become corperate from being a social network site.

I find facebook annoying. I mean i post stupid stuff but its usually music lyrics or movie quotes. What i can't bare is when some of the people on it post shit like

"Can't believe some PPL, you are totally pathetic, why don't you just f**k off"

Why do they feel the need to broadcast that to everyone. Can't they just send it to the person they are annoyed with?

Then you get all their friends saying things like

"whats up hun?"

Also the chat feature is really bad on it.

Ive never used Facebook or Myspace but am on twitter, its great for getting music/festival news on your phone in one place.

If someone could tell me a good football twitter to follow, with latest news, transfers and goal alerts, that would be awesome, can't believe BBC doesn't have the feature