Latitude 2009

The Beard

I think I am going to buy a sunday ticket for this. I cant really afford a full weekend one in addition to the glastonbury one I have already got :ph34r: but the opportunity to see nick cave headline is too great.

I have a couple of questions which I would be grateful if of you learned people could help me with

1. how long do the headline slots tent to be? 90mins? 2hours?

2. as I am only going for the day I will have to book a b&B/hotel. What is the nearest town? is there anywhere in walking distance? how much would a taxi to southwold cost and is it possible to get a taxi at the end of the night on sunday?

Thanks a lot and apologies for the boring questions!

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. how long do the headline slots tent to be? 90mins? 2hours?

2. as I am only going for the day I will have to book a b&B/hotel. What is the nearest town? is there anywhere in walking distance? how much would a taxi to southwold cost and is it possible to get a taxi at the end of the night on sunday?

Thanks a lot and apologies for the boring questions!

1. From memory I have a feeling they were given 2 hour slots last year but none of the 3 headliners played that long. I will check my programme when I get home though.

2. I stayed on the outskirts of Lowestoft last year but you may want to look for somewhere nearer as I was with a friend who was driving so didnt need to pay the taxi rates. I dont think there is much within walking distance but I couldnt say for sure. Here are a couple of links from the official site that should help:

Hotels / B&Bs: http://www.latitudefestival.co.uk/eventinf...dex.aspx?id=391

Taxi: http://www.latitudefestival.co.uk/eventinf...dex.aspx?id=390

Edited by arteet

Just in case you didn't know...there is a (free) camping area for those with day tickets too.

Not that I've used it myself, but the details are in the "Day Ticket Camping" link here:

http://www.latitudefestival.co.uk/eventinf...dex.aspx?id=391

Just in case you didn't know...there is a (free) camping area for those with day tickets too.

Not that I've used it myself, but the details are in the "Day Ticket Camping" link here:

http://www.latitudefestival.co.uk/eventinf...dex.aspx?id=391

oh that's fab news. Thanks so much for that :lol:

note to self: read the official festival website thoroughly in future!!

Just received the following e-mail update on comedy etc line-up for Lat this year:-

Comedy Arena

Irish Perrier-Award nominee Ed Byrne is a familiar face on the comedy circuit, he will be joined by political activist, stand-up comic and author Mark Thomas, Antipodean comic Adam Hills who has achieved international acclaim and Sean Lock - one of the UK's most highly acclaimed and original comedians.

Marcus Brigstocke hosts The Early Edition - a bit like BBC 4's Late Edition... but earlier. The morning papers, comedy, and special guests take to the stage to wake you up with a start!

Irish comic, writer, actor and all-round funny-man, Sean Hughes will be bringing his fantastically dark, acerbic stand-up to Latitude along with the UK's best kept comedy secret (but not for long) Andrew Lawrence, the quick witted comic and tv presenter Rufus Hound, hard-working award-winning Jon Richardson, the “twisted human cartoon” Russell Kane, Chortle's best breakthrough nominee Shappi Khorsandi, controversial American songwriter and comic Jessica Delfino, the spontaneous and unmistakeable Dan Atkinson, Carl Donnelly who is an expert on transforming mundane situations into comedy, Winner of last year's Chortle Best Newcomer Award Holly Walsh, winner of Funniest Joke On The Fringe Zoe Lyons, charming and razor-sharp Rob Deering and US comic Dave Fulton.

Plus the excuse to get smashed and rip clothes off strangers, the maniacal mayhem of Swap-A-Rama along with Jack Whitehall hosting the Latitude New Act Of The Year – the search for the next comic genius. Six finalists will perform on Saturday morning in front of the Latitude crowd who’ll be given the power to choose the winner.

Cabaret Arena

~ Pippa Evans ~ New Art Club ~

~ Stuckey And Murray ~

~ La John Joseph ~ Dead Man In A Box ~

~Orkestra Del Sol ~

If you want to experience something entirely different then seek out Latitude’s quirky den of mischief and mayhem; the Cabaret Arena.

Inside you will witness comedy sketch shows, burlesque, freak shows, drag queens, sing-a-longs, illusionists and much, much more yet to be announced. With Vaudeville fun, sharp, incisive wit, camp entertainment and a good ol’fashioned knees up, the Cabaret Arena positively encourages you to leave your inhibitions at the door and be game for anything and everything. This surreal bordello of surprises and spectacular stage shows is visually rich, beautiful and bizarre and will tempt and titillate in equal measure.

Theatre & Outdoor Theatre

~ Theatre 503 ~ School Of Night ~

~Mercury Theatre ~

~ Look Left Look Right ~ Chipping Norton Theatre ~ Mouth-To-Mouth ~ Leonard ~ The Grandees ~ Tangled Feet ~ Box Of Tricks ~ Time Cats ~ The Pantaloons ~

~ The Dialogue Project ~

With the involvement of the country’s leading theatre companies, Latitude has established itself as one of the best theatre festivals in Europe. An auditorium has been specially designed to perfectly present a full schedule of contemporary, physical, classical, performance and local productions bespoke to the festival.

Not to be contained within the confines of the stage, theatre can be found around every corner at Latitude, emerging from the woods, performed on the banks of the lake as well as the Theatre Arena, drawing inspiration from the surroundings

Literary Arena

~ Mark Steel ~ David Peace ~

~ Clive Stafford-Smith ~ Danny Wallace ~

~ Political Animal: Hosted by Andy Zaltzman & Guests ~ Russell Kane ~

~ Jim Cartwright ~ Hugh Thomson ~

~ Anthropology ~ Guerilla Science ~

We celebrate the art of the written word and all its splendid facets at Suffolk’s now legendary library by the sea.

Like all good books, the Literary Arena will transport you to the far reaches of your imagination guided by the storytelling talents of the very best authors and special guests scheduled for the weekend. Discussions, Q&As, stories and comic genius are the order of the day for these book readings with a difference. Immerse yourself in Latitude’s literary world and learn, explore, laugh and discover at the best literary event of the summer.

Poetry Arena

~ Roger Lloyd Pack ~ Nathan Filer~

Positioned enticingly by the banks of the lake at the entrance to the main festival arena, Latitude’s perfectly placed Poetry Arena is a wonderful den of distraction. Curious passers-by are pulled inside by barrels of raucous laughter, pensive silences and fascinated faces, all transfixed by the raconteurs on stage.

Luke Wright is co-programmer of Latitude's Stand-up Poetry Arena and its main host. This year he will be bringing a wealth of new talent including Yanny Mac, Kate Fox, Aoife Mannix, Baba Brinkman, Byron Vincent, Caroline Bird, Drew Taylor, Joe Hakim, John Osbourne, Martin Figura, Molly Naylor, Patrick Lappin, Rhian Edwards, Ruby And Her Whorses, Excentral Tempest, MC Angel, Tamsin Kendrick, Tim Turnbull, and Josh Idehen.

Music & Film Arena

~ Comma Film ~ Patti Plinko & Her Boy ~

~ The Paper Cinema & Kieron Maguire ~

Uniting alternative worlds of cinematic wonder, musical splendour and visual brilliance, the Music & Film Arena is an exhilarating and intoxicating centre of creativity. Over the festival weekend the Arena will play host to screenings of award winning films, documentaries and shorts with Q&A sessions plus discussions with acclaimed directors and writers. These will be interspersed with musical treats and stunning, transfixing visuals combining together to create a seductive, sensory playground for all ages.

http://forums.latitudefestival.co.uk/tm.aspx?m=48141

Melvin benn forum chat

i asked him about the secndary ticket thing. He'll probably ignore it completely.

Ok, here is the official answer:

Although we have and will continue to try to prevent touting we also have to accept the reality that some tickets are going to be re-sold until the government changes the law.

With this in mind, if we can't legally prevent touting we'd rather see at least the customers being protected which Viagogo offers unlike other secondary and auction sites such as Ebay.

• 2 weeks later...

More new additions....

UNCUT ARENA

~ Squeeze ~ Mew ~ Ladyhawke ~

~ Teitur ~ Music Go Music ~ Hjaltalin ~

SUNRISE ARENA

~ Little Boots ~

~ Band Of Skulls ~ Yes, Giantess ~ Sugar Crisis ~ Dear Reader ~

~ Catherine AD ~ Jonathan Jeremiah ~ Alan Powell ~ First Aid Kit ~

OBELISK ARENA

~ Sound Of Guns ~

THE LAKE STAGE

~ Golden Silvers ~ Slow Club ~

~ We Have Band ~ Post War Years ~ The XX ~ Pulled Apart By Horses ~

~ Joe Gideon & The Shark ~ Dag For Dag ~ 2 Hot 2 Sweat ~

~ The Late Greats ~

• 2 weeks later...

OBELISK ARENA

~ Patrick Wolf ~ The Airborne Toxic Event ~

~ Lisa Hannigan ~ Amazing Baby ~ Wild Beasts ~

UNCUT ARENA

~ Chairlift ~ The Mummers ~

~ White Belt Yellow Tag ~ The Invisible ~

SUNRISE ARENA

~ !!! ~ Skint And Demoralised ~ 1990s ~ Animal Kingdom ~

~ Black Joe Lewis ~ Fight Like Apes ~

~ Kurran and the Wolfnotes ~ Juliette Commagere ~

THE LAKE STAGE

~ Bombay Bicycle Club ~ Little Comets ~ Casiokids ~

~ Marina and the Diamonds ~ Speech Debelle ~ Chew Lips ~

~ Django Django ~ Bishi ~ The Agitator ~ The Cheek ~ Not Squares ~

FILM & MUSIC ARENA

~ Mark Lamarr presents: T-99, Chas & Dave, The Asteroids Galaxy Tour, Prince Fatty ~

~ Birds Eye View presents Salome with Bishi, Zongamin & Neil Kaczor ~

~ Cape Farewell Project ~ Noise Of Art ~

~ Ditto ~ SonVer ~

~ Adam Buxton ~

~ Encounters Film Festival presents Tom Harper & Ivana Mackinnon~

~ Beautiful & The Dammed DJs ~ The Posters Came From The Walls ~

IN THE WOODS

~ The Scaremongers ~