Football 17/18

TheGayTent

6 minutes ago, thetime said:

Is he though? Someone good? I wonder who West Brom could attract at the minute. 

He took us from the arse end of the Championship to the Premier League, overhauling an eleven point gap on Wolves. Yes, he is a legend.

No idea who we could attract, but we should at least be asking the questions. Let's see if Koeman fancies rebuilding his reputation for example...

What I don't want are any of the usual tired and uninspired British candidates - Sam, Pardew, Giggs, etc.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

He took us from the arse end of the Championship to the Premier League, overhauling an eleven point gap on Wolves. Yes, he is a legend.

Wolves could be the next City/Chelsea in the next 5 to 10 years. There is a big buzz about them around the midlands at the minute.

Owners spending in the championship, got Mendez at the club and the owners got 5 billion in his back pocket.  

4 minutes ago, thetime said:

Wolves could be the next City/Chelsea in the next 5 to 10 years. There is a big buzz about them around the midlands at the minute.

Owners spending in the championship, got Mendez at the club and the owners got 5 billion in his back pocket.  

That will end in tears. 

7 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Who'd you fancy? Why not be optimistic like those Evertonians and go for Ancelotti and Simeone?

Koeman would be my first choice, if he feels he's got something to prove again. My dream candidate would be Tuchel but I know how unrealistic that sounds. The problem with changing manager during the season is that a lot of the good candidates are doing well with their current clubs so are unlikely to move - David Wagner for example. I wouldn't be against taking a punt on a foreign coach - the guys at Hoffenheim for example are garnering rave reviews. It could end in disaster but at least it would be exciting and that's what we need right now. 

Let's chase Nuno (the Wolves coach) for a laugh.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Because I don't see any evidence to suggest he'd make a decent manager.

I could be wrong but my feeling is that whoever appoints him will regret it, and I'd rather we weren't the club to find that out.

It will certainly will be a risk, no body seems to want to take a risk on him that’s for sure. 

High profile players of that era don’t seem to want to start at a lower level. 

42 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

edit: if WHU are a team for locals, then why do they ring essex police..? :P

Appreciate the joke, however it's an interesting (well probably only to me) fact that West Ham (arguably) were an Essex club for longer than they've been East London club. 

19 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Appreciate the joke, however it's an interesting (well probably only to me) fact that West Ham (arguably) were an Essex club for longer than they've been East London club. 

wow - I didn't know that. Until 1965, in fact.

Not entirely sure which of these the ground was in, but the Essex thing is the same in both anyway...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Borough_of_West_Ham

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Borough_of_East_Ham

2 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

I think Pulis would be a good appointment for Wales. Who else, realistically, do you think would be a better choice? 

Pulis is a no-brainer, given the timings of the vacancy and his own unemployment. That's precisely why I said what i did.

Whether or not he'll be good for them is another thing. He's definitely good at getting something better out of (comparatively) limited players, but whether that'll work with the limited time he'd have with players as national manager is perhaps another thing.

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

wow - I didn't know that. Until 1965, in fact.

Not entirely sure which of these the ground was in, but the Essex thing is the same in both anyway...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Borough_of_West_Ham

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Borough_of_East_Ham

Green Street was the border between the Essex districts of West and East Ham - so the Boleyn Ground was a few metres inside East Ham.