U.S. festival with the supposed killer lineup?

O'Doyle Rules

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, GlastoSimon said:

With all due respect to FM, where do they fit in? All the acts are huge, says everything that Waters on his own is probably the smallest. 

FM are definitely big enough,easily as big as The who,I'm sure they would of been on the list 

I am lucky have seen them all many times and not just at Glastonbury - I think I was 12/13 when I first saw the Stones in 1966/1967 ' and the ticket price was under 10 shillings { fifty pence for people who don't recall Decimal Day in 1971 } - tickets were bought on the night in Glasgow - no queue at all - I was with my two older brothers and we just walked up to the Venue and bought them.

No fancy Golden ticket area - we just sat in the stalls and it was electrifying - people will be surprised to learn that the Stones would visit Glasgow at least twice per year in the 60's { say for 6 or so nights and sometimes a double show in the afternoon }

it was either the Green's Playhouse {renamed later  The Apollo} or more likely Glasgow Odeon.

Later on in the early 70's if tickets were not bought in advance then there was less chance of a seat but standing tickets were available.

The only act I have left the UK to see was Roger Waters 21 July 1990 {held in Berlin} and that was worth the hassle to drive to Berlin to see it.

Taking in the fact there is four British acts they should have held two concerts - one in the States and one in the UK.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If it was 1966, then it was the Odeon, aye. I don't think they played the UK in 1967.

Heh. The shrugging indifference my mum has about seeing The Beatles in the Edinburgh ABC often bemuses me.

thanks for that - then it must have been 30 September 1966 - they did two shows at the Odeon it was close to my birthday so I was nearly 13 - it was my first ever concert - I also went 8 March 1971 Greens Playhouse but for some strange reason they switched back to the Odeon and then back again at the Greens Playhouse - have no clue why but that was the two main venues in Glasgow at that time.

Edited by glasto-worker

13 hours ago, GlastoSimon said:

With all due respect to FM, where do they fit in? All the acts are huge, says everything that Waters on his own is probably the smallest. 

Going on certified record sales, directly below the Rolling Stones and well above everybody else?

The line up doesn't really do it for me, like others have said they are well past it - good thing to catch at a festival alongside other acts but not on their own. The only exception would be Neil Young as his current band are awesome!

Edited by blackred

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

fleetwood mac are nowhere near being a legendary act of the same ilk as the rest of those people on the bill. Come off it...

Record sales would say otherwise, plus its an American festival and Nicks/Buckingham era FM were HUGE over there.

1 hour ago, blackred said:

Record sales would say otherwise, plus its an American festival and Nicks/Buckingham era FM were HUGE over there.

It's not a festival line up based on huge record sales though clearly. Fleedwood mac would look absurdly out of place on that line up. 

According to wikipedia, fleetwood mac are nowhere near the top for record sales anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists#250_million_or_more_records

2 hours ago, russycarps said:

It's not a festival line up based on huge record sales though clearly. Fleedwood mac would look absurdly out of place on that line up. 

According to wikipedia, fleetwood mac are nowhere near the top for record sales anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists#250_million_or_more_records

Yeah, that's the source I used, second best selling out of that line up. 4th if you include Pink Floyd and the Beatles for Waters and McCartney, which is cheating debatable.

Don't see them as being out of place in that line up, not sure why you would?

4 hours ago, blackred said:

Yeah, that's the source I used, second best selling out of that line up. 4th if you include Pink Floyd and the Beatles for Waters and McCartney, which is cheating debatable.

Don't see them as being out of place in that line up, not sure why you would?

I just don't see them as a po-faced type of classic act that fits in with the others. 

The crowd will consist of people who would look down on Fleetwood Mac. Having women members doesn't help. If it was peter green era Fleetwood Mac it might be a different story

4 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I just don't see them as a po-faced type of classic act that fits in with the others. 

The crowd will consist of people who would look down on Fleetwood Mac. Having women members doesn't help. If it was peter green era Fleetwood Mac it might be a different story

Ah, fair enough. See what you mean