Y NOT FESTIVAL 2016

MommaSoph

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stars seem to have aligned for me on this one - one of my friends lives abroad and is only back for a couple of weeks, but wants to do a festival. This one falls over that weekend and fits his music tastes too so looks like I'm going! 

A favourite each night for me from those day splits. Coral thurs, cribs Friday (I like editors too), Noel / catfish / circa Saturday is amazing and then Lucy rose and blossoms Sunday. Plus loads of smaller and new acts throughout that I already like a few songs from. 

The Noel setlists recently look ace so can't wait for that 

Is it a pretty chilled atmosphere then? What's the drinks like, is it one of those smaller fests that sells cans or do they have a decent bar setup? 

Can anyone recommend any smaller bands for me to check out? Apart from Kassssin Street I don't have anyone to see before 5 on any of the days! Also are we expecting someone else to close the Quarry on Sunday because on the lineup planner it says Blossoms finish at 20:45 but on the other days the headliners finish at 22:15? 

2 hours ago, BeddingatReading said:

Can anyone recommend any smaller bands for me to check out? Apart from Kassssin Street I don't have anyone to see before 5 on any of the days! Also are we expecting someone else to close the Quarry on Sunday because on the lineup planner it says Blossoms finish at 20:45 but on the other days the headliners finish at 22:15? 

I saw Kassassin Street at Blissfields last year and definitely on my must-see list. Not really done any listening yet but you might try Sunset Sons (30 minutes not enough), Kagoule, White and Louis Berry.

3 hours ago, BeddingatReading said:

Sherlocks have a great reputation, friends have seen them.  Will be all over that one....

9 hours ago, BeddingatReading said:

Kagoule for sure.  Enjoyed Trash last year too. Lively and with some plenty of local support.

Haven't really heard Sundara Karma yet but heard them described as "ideal for a festival with a bag of wine while waiting for someone else to come on". Faint praise but will do for me!

Heck are proper noisy if thats your thing or New Desert Blues for something a bit more chilled.

1 hour ago, JackHutchy123 said:

Has anyone seen the new alcohol regulations?

http://www.ynotfestivals.co.uk/2016/05/11/alcohol-regulations/

Absolute joke to tell us this after buying tickets! 24 cans is not enough!

Sign the petition here https://www.change.org/p/festival-lift-the-limit-on-alcohol-at-y-not-festival?tk=qa2M8QxY4k_kC70ojWP4UvpObjAUdV7srDe6Wv0MWHA&utm_medium=email&utm_source=signature_receipt&utm_campaign=new_signature

what do you guys think?

All I can say is I'll see you for a daily party at the gold ford ka in the car park

There are so many reasons this will backfire.  It really is a retrograde move; regulating everyone's behavior based on a few incidents rarely ends up well.  I suspect almost everyone who has read about these regulations is currently busy thinking up ways to get around them.

However I suggest we take the announcement from the organizers at face value.  They say they are doing this in response to requests from the police.  Therefore direct our ire at the newly elected police commissioner of Derbyshire and the Chief Constable of the local constabulary.  Given their positions they are more likely to have to respond.  

2 hours ago, Martinmjgh said:

There are so many reasons this will backfire.  It really is a retrograde move; regulating everyone's behavior based on a few incidents rarely ends up well.  I suspect almost everyone who has read about these regulations is currently busy thinking up ways to get around them.

However I suggest we take the announcement from the organizers at face value.  They say they are doing this in response to requests from the police.  Therefore direct our ire at the newly elected police commissioner of Derbyshire and the Chief Constable of the local constabulary.  Given their positions they are more likely to have to respond.  

It's a crazy decision especially from the police. If it is just to stop underage drinkers why don't they just ask for ID for anyone looking under 21 on the gate and give them who can prove they're over 18 a wristband. If someone looks under 21 and they don't have a wristband or ID on them, take their alcohol off them. Also, if people can't take in alcohol they'll find ways of taking in drugs as I assume they're a lot easier to sneak in than a few cans/bottles of beer. 

1 hour ago, BeddingatReading said:

It's a crazy decision especially from the police. If it is just to stop underage drinkers why don't they just ask for ID for anyone looking under 21 on the gate and give them who can prove they're over 18 a wristband. If someone looks under 21 and they don't have a wristband or ID on them, take their alcohol off them. Also, if people can't take in alcohol they'll find ways of taking in drugs as I assume they're a lot easier to sneak in than a few cans/bottles of beer. 

I can understand why they are doing it to a degree, I went last year and felt REALLY old. That said, I found the atmosphere to be very good natured and didn't see any trouble. A few teenagers staggering round but that was about it. 

Think you're right...I got ID'd at the gate last year...and I am 43. 

All I can think is they are worried about people taking excess amounts and then giving it their mates (say a 19 year old with a bunch of 18 year mates taking 100 cans in and getting them all smashed).  

Whilst none of us want to go to festivals that are full of rampaging hordes of pissed up youngsters, think using a more common-sense approach and treating people like adults would be a better alternative. 

Edited by Flaminglippy

51 minutes ago, Flaminglippy said:

I can understand why they are doing it to a degree, I went last year and felt REALLY old. That said, I found the atmosphere to be very good natured and didn't see any trouble. A few teenagers staggering round but that was about it. 

Think you're right...I got ID'd at the gate last year...and I am 43. 

All I can think is they are worried about people taking excess amounts and then giving it their mates (say a 19 year old with a bunch of 18 year mates taking 100 cans in and getting them all smashed).  

Whilst none of us want to go to festivals that are full of rampaging hordes of pissed up youngsters, think using a more common-sense approach and treating people like adults would be a better alternative. 

Well you're going to feel old at any festival you go to if you're 43, you're well above the average age of a festival goer. 

People can easily buy as much booze as they like from the bar though so if people want to get blind drunk they will, this is purely a financial move for them as they want people to pay £8 upwards for a pint of warm beer. I'm pretty sure it isn't the police's decision to stop people taking alcohol into the arena but they still ban that as they know they will lose money in the bars. 

What a ridiculous thing to do, I am 42, and like a beer, been to many festivals over many years and never been treated like a child at one before.  6 cans per day for anyone going on the Thursday night.  I am normally on 6 by 10am.. They do need to crack down on the underage.  But stopping me bringing enough alcohol on site for my own and wife's  consumption is pathetic...

I am fine with the if you look under 21 prove it, if someone cant prove it, what about a different coloured wrist band? 

I do, like others feel this is more a money making exercise than a 'Security' crack down... 

19 hours ago, BeddingatReading said:

I agree that this sort of stipulation is nuts, cos it's the outlets that are selling to kids in the first place who are doing the wrong, not the festival. The festival is an easy target for the police to claim they're cracking down on under-agers.

But I know that plenty of councils/police have forced similar on other festivals, and it's pretty much the standard nowadays.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I agree that this sort of stipulation is nuts, cos it's the outlets that are selling to kids in the first place who are doing the wrong, not the festival. The festival is an easy target for the police to claim they're cracking down on under-agers.

But I know that plenty of councils/police have forced similar on other festivals, and it's pretty much the standard nowadays.

I am sorry to say that if this is really the way it is going, this will be our last festival.  Aside from the odd idiot I have very rarely seen trouble at a festival, and the general 'vibe' has always been that we are all here for the same thing. few beers, good music & a fun weekend!!!!

BUY TICKETS

<style type="text/css">.wpb_animate_when_almost_visible{opacity:1;}</style>

Alcohol Regulations – An Update

ynot alcohol regs-update

13 May Alcohol Regulations – An Update

Posted at 09:40h in Uncategorized by Y Not Festival

We recently posted about our alcohol regulations at the festival. There has been a strong reaction to the message and the last thing we would want is to make people feel as though we are not listening to their concerns.

The Y Notters are the backbone of the event and have supported us from our humble beginnings to the event it has become today, we never take this for granted.

Safety will always be our number one priority but we are not too proud to recognise when we should listen to people.

The safety requirements still remain and whilst removing a limit isn’t possible, we thought hard about how we could still maintain the very important levels of safety that are a requirement but address the points that people have. With this in mind we have worked hard to try and be flexible within the limit.

Each person can select up to 3 of the below options.

Each option can only be selected once.

Option 1 15 x cans beer/cider

Option 2 15 x cans beer/cider

Option 3 15 x cans beer/cider

Option 4 1 x litre spirit (decanted into plastic)

Option 5 2 x 750ml wine (decanted into plastic)

Option 6 2 x 750ml wine (decanted into plastic)

For example you could select option 1, option 2 and option 3.

= 45 cans

OR

you could select option 1, option 2 and option 4.

= 30 cans and 1 litre spirit

and so on.

Our Partners:
Absolute-Radio-logo-rbg-wht-1.pngbbc-music-intro-east-mids-1.pngBIMM_Master-Logo_CMYK_white.png

More realistic, I suppose.....

19 minutes ago, Dazoodo07 said:

BUY TICKETS

<style type="text/css">.wpb_animate_when_almost_visible{opacity:1;}</style>

Alcohol Regulations – An Update

ynot alcohol regs-update

13 May Alcohol Regulations – An Update

Posted at 09:40h in Uncategorized by Y Not Festival

We recently posted about our alcohol regulations at the festival. There has been a strong reaction to the message and the last thing we would want is to make people feel as though we are not listening to their concerns.

The Y Notters are the backbone of the event and have supported us from our humble beginnings to the event it has become today, we never take this for granted.

Safety will always be our number one priority but we are not too proud to recognise when we should listen to people.

The safety requirements still remain and whilst removing a limit isn’t possible, we thought hard about how we could still maintain the very important levels of safety that are a requirement but address the points that people have. With this in mind we have worked hard to try and be flexible within the limit.

Each person can select up to 3 of the below options.

Each option can only be selected once.

Option 1 15 x cans beer/cider

Option 2 15 x cans beer/cider

Option 3 15 x cans beer/cider

Option 4 1 x litre spirit (decanted into plastic)

Option 5 2 x 750ml wine (decanted into plastic)

Option 6 2 x 750ml wine (decanted into plastic)

For example you could select option 1, option 2 and option 3.

= 45 cans

OR

you could select option 1, option 2 and option 4.

= 30 cans and 1 litre spirit

and so on.

Our Partners:
Absolute-Radio-logo-rbg-wht-1.pngbbc-music-intro-east-mids-1.pngBIMM_Master-Logo_CMYK_white.png

More realistic, I suppose.....

Great...now you have to be Stephen Hawkings to work out your drinks limit for a festival.  

So you can't select 'option 1' 3 times, but you can select options 1, 2 and 3 once and have exactly the same amount. 

On 18/05/2016 at 0:27 PM, alexfc94 said:

Hey guys, is there much by way of nightlife at Y Not? It's a toss up between this and Kendal Calling at the mo - and I'm looking for somewhere that keeps the party going after the main acts have finished. 

Yeah there is enough going on at Y Not. It's no Glastonbury after hours, but what festival is. 

There is a late silence disco, a "secret rave" tent, dj's in the smaller tents, a few smaller acts carry on playing. There is late night  "organised" campfires people gather round. For the money Y not is bang on. Kendal is an extra £50? The top bands are more or less the same with the odd difference.