Friday opener?

sedra

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully: Radiohead

Probably: Stereophonics or The Wombats, or another band that takes everyone back to the good old days of 2005

In all honesty though big possibilities could be Blur (or even just Damon Albarn by himself), Mumford & Sons, The Libertines, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds etc.

Edited by Acid_Haze

I think Noel Gallagher & Stereophonics are both very good shouts.

Maybe Blur though... Would be an ace start to the weekend.

'Other' suggestions:

Foo Fighters (acoustic set) - They've done it before at other festivals under a fake name

Seasick Steve - He's an old fave amongst Glastonbury faithfuls and he's playing Bristol that very evening

The Libertines - They're free to do it

Royal Blood - They've got a cheeky gap in their tour schedule

Mumford & Sons - There's a gap in their schedule and they'd be keen on it too (PS... I would be upset with this outcome)

Hopefully: Radiohead

Probably: Stereophonics or The Wombats, or another band that takes everyone back to the good old days of 2005

In all honesty though big possibilities could be Blur (or even just Damon Albarn by himself), Mumford & Sons, The Libertines, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds etc.

Stereophonics? Really? Are people actually thinking this is a remote possibility? Just getting slightly excited (I know it's just a punt) as they're one of my favourite ever bands. Would make me dangerously happy. Them or Libertines. My guess it'll be someone as disappointing as Kaiser Chiefs or Beady Eye.

Stereophonics? Really? Are people actually thinking this is a remote possibility? Just getting slightly excited (I know it's just a punt) as they're one of my favourite ever bands. Would make me dangerously happy. Them or Libertines. My guess it'll be someone as disappointing as Kaiser Chiefs or Beady Eye.

It's a possibility, they're around

If that happens I'm going to hold you fully responsible for making it happen, hunt you down and ply you with alcohol and vigorously shake your hand in a jovial manner. Nothing weird like.

it's a deal (though come to think of it Franz Ferdinand are quite likely)

Edited by Acid_Haze

it's a deal (though come to think of it Franz Ferdinand are quite likely)

Yeh it makes sense. Unfortunately. If it is, I'll be off exploring and awaiting one of my "must see's". Pretty sure one of em will be on the Friday!

Edited by Stokesy10

Could be Bloc Party who meant to be playing for the first time in 2 years at FYF festival in august, but it would be a hell of a comeback to play this slot at Glastonbury as their first instead.

Also going to throw The Strokes into the ring. They're playing BST on the 18th so would be free to play Glastonbury afterwards, and they have no other dates around then.

Or maybe it's a Chris Martin led supergroup!

Come on, let's be realistic here.

The "secret other stage opener" thing has only happened twice, so it can't be considered a tradition or something to be expected.

Even on those 2 occasions, the acts who played (Beady Eye, and Kaiser Chiefs) were well below the status of most of the acts being mentioned on this thread. Seems like expectations are being raised way too high. It's not going to be NGHFB. Or Blur. Or Stereophonics. Or the Libertines. Or Mumford. Or Bowie. Or Led Zep.

Come on, let's be realistic here.

The "secret other stage opener" thing has only happened twice, so it can't be considered a tradition or something to be expected.

Even on those 2 occasions, the acts who played (Beady Eye, and Kaiser Chiefs) were well below the status of most of the acts being mentioned on this thread. Seems like expectations are being raised way too high. It's not going to be NGHFB. Or Blur. Or Stereophonics. Or the Libertines. Or Mumford. Or Bowie. Or Led Zep.

Hey I said the wombats...

+ aren't stereophonics at a similar level of popularity as the Kaiser Chiefs? Correct me if I'm wrong

Edited by Acid_Haze

Hey I said the wombats...

+ aren't stereophonics at a similar level of popularity as the Kaiser Chiefs? Correct me if I'm wrong

I hope not. I can't back up with stats but I'd hazard a guess that Phonics piss on Chiefs. Their first two albums were absolutely superb. Since the they've produced individual great tracks but no album to match the first two. I must be blinkered cos I see them as an easy headliner for any stage at Glasto. They're the bollox technically live too. Kind of act where people would go to see them cos they know a few tracks then realise how good they are.

Oh and with regards to the comments about the secret set not really being much of a secret recently, that's spot on. Don't expect much!