Advice - (over 40's) - Taking my parents to their first festival

tjapsey

Hi Guys,

This year I will be taking my parents to their first (festival) Glastonbury. Being in their 40's/50's, they are looking for advice on certain things that normally would bother me (I've been to a lot of festivals). I'm trying to prevent them doing the 'park and ride' thing as I don't think they will be able to enjoy the whole experience this way, but I want them to have a good time.

Their many concerns are...

• Camping - they seem to be worried about a bunch of kids being all loud and pissed and disturbing them at night, I've suggested camping in one of the campsites on the outskirts of the festival e.g Dairy ground - could advise any further.

As I understand it, the family camping area is for families with children ONLY and at 26 years old I don't think I would qualify...

• Toilets - I NEED to keep my mum away from the long-drops, what's the deal with paid/VIP shower/toilet facilities as I'm sure she won't mind paying a bit extra for a hot shower.

Also any other tips from the 40+ guys would be greatly appreciated. I really want my parents to relax and have a good time

Me and the wife went last year for the first time and stayed in Tangerine Fields in a cube tent!

There were china flushing loos up there as well as showers and portaloos. Much closer to the car as well

All OK but afar way out of the main site - 15/20 minutes to top of Pyramid field when dry longer when wet.

It was OK but lacking atmosphere - less noise but less atmosphere and no real chance to pop back to the tent. We kept loads of stuff at on site lock ups and popped to those in the day.

Loos on main site were fine, even the long drops but if your Mum does not fancy those there are plenty of alternatives. Showers in Greepeace field are free I think.

This year we are staying on the main site as we want a better overall experience.

My general adivce is simply though:

Relax, don't worry about things and just enjoy it - make sure you don't plan too much and make sure you don't just stay at the main stages.

Hope that helps

Im mid 40s but have been going to Glastonbury and other festivals since i was 18. I presume you have been to Glastonbury before?

Camping - yes, edges are better for a quieter night, Dairy gets full these days so would recommend the area between gate A and D. They would find a decent airbed and some good earplugs a bonus, plus a stove and kettle for late night brews and hot washes. But dont assume your parents won't want to party!

Loos - your mum needs to be prepared for the long drop, and that will largely depend on her degree of squeamishness. To my knowledge, theres no posh loos on site, there are some porcelain flushing ones near the farm, but your mum isnt going to want to walk all the way up there for a wee. Some other tricks, watch for when the cleaning team comes to a loo block and use them when you're first one in. Always carry loo roll and hand sanitiser with you, often you feel better about sitting down if you've given the seat a good wipe first. If you can, follow another similar aged lady...sounds silly but you'll often find the loo in a reasonable condition. They arent that bad really and much much better than 20 years ago.

Just relax and your folks will find their own way and own enjoyment, and 40/50 is NOT too old to have a total blast!

Top end of Big Ground. Not far from the Police Station, Medical Centre, cashpoints, proper porcelain flush toilets, 24 hour cafe. Free from flooding.

An easy stroll down to The Pyramid and even easier across to The Acoustic, which may be more their type of music.

The main thing is to prepare them for a lot of walking as there is so much to see. I reckon 10-12 miles a day if they can manage that.

I'm in my 40's too, we stayed in the Pylon fields and it was the best sleep we've had at a festival.

Toilets? Thats just a chance really, for the most they were all fine but some people just need to have a good look at themselves really. If an idiot goes into one of the posh toilets then they will look the same.

Just because they are in their 40's doesn't mean they are passed it lol Aparently its where life begins they will love it

Thanks for all the advice guys,

In answer to your questions - I've been to around a dozen festivals before, but this will be my first Glastonbury and I can't wait...I just need to set my Dad's mind at ease as he's a bit of an obsessive planner and (as much as I've explained that's not how festivals work) he need's to know the best way to go about things.

Any more tips would be greatly appreciated...

On toilets, get to know the time the toilet cleaning crews come round and try to plan your visits just after they've given them a spruce up.

Food. Glastonbury offers some of the best food you'll eat anywhere and at reasonable prices. Avoid the burgers and chips and explore the food options. I recommend a Tartiflette at La Grande Bouffe and others no doubt have their favourites.

Really walk and explore. Get up into the Green Fields and the other places away from the main music and you'll discover why people say Glasto is so much more than music.

Edited by grumpyhack

Thanks for all the advice guys,

In answer to your questions - I've been to around a dozen festivals before, but this will be my first Glastonbury and I can't wait...I just need to set my Dad's mind at ease as he's a bit of an obsessive planner and (as much as I've explained that's not how festivals work) he need's to know the best way to go about things.

Any more tips would be greatly appreciated...

If he's into the planning a good place to start might be

http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq

A very good read

They'll love it in my group we have people from under 5 to over 65 and all love it. One of the women came for the first time at 59 and has not missed one since. Glasto is really for all

If he's into the planning a good place to start might be

http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq

A very good read

They'll love it in my group we have people from under 5 to over 65 and all love it. One of the women came for the first time at 59 and has not missed one since. Glasto is really for all

Yep you don't get much better than glastoearth for info.

Hi, we are a group of 40 something ladies who haven't been to glastonbury before. Don't want to sound like we're copping out but like ur parents we don't particularly want to be kept awake all night / have our tent pissed on / thrown up on by some drunken neighbour and we want the odd shower. we have chosen to stay at the pop up motel, it costs extra (£299 for a pre allocated 7 metre sq pitch based on 2 sharing plus £88 per extra person) but apparently it's really quiet at night, has security, car park is next door so no hike with your stuff, and has flushing loos and showers. It may be the most expensive patch of grass in the world but To us it's worth the money as 5 nights with no sleep at all will ruin the experience for us. (If we want to party all night, we can just stay on site!) It says it's 10 mins walk from gate d but apparently that's v optimistic - more like 20. Again, we don't mind that. Google pop up motel glastonbury for details. Just another option. Hope u all have a great time.

I've been going to Glasto for more years than I care to admit. On and off since the start (I'm now officially an OAP). Since the Superfence went up I've never had any problems in the campsite areas and can't see any great benefits in staying in the 'luxury' tent areas.

But, that said, our gang graduated from big tent to trailer tent and now a mix of campervans and caravans and so we now stay in CV East.

I second what grumpyhack says,I took my sisters for their first Glastonbury last year and they are in there late fifties,we took a trailer tent one of them bought ten years before for 300 quid and sold it when we got home for the same,you can easily buy and sell them on ebay at that time of year or keep it if you can store it.

I will be 55 this year and have been enjoying Glastonbury since my 20's( this year is my 16th!). Just cos your mum and dad are in their40's and 50's doesn't mean they won't want to have a good time!! As it is all your first time then just be prepared for the size of the place- it's not like any other festival. The toilets are no problem these days generally- I'm sure your mum will cope! We camp right in the middle of Kidney Mead and usually have no problems with anyone. Ear plugs are handy as are Travel Johns for emergency in tent "facilities" in the night! A trolley with proper tyres is handy for transporting stuff. Everything you might need you can also get on site tho so no panic if you forget anything. The lock ups are free and safe so use them. read Torts guide. Take good walking shoes and wellies etc. have a great time:)! Explore and enjoy the great variety Glastonbury has to offer- crafts, green fields, circus, comedy, SE corner, Arcadia, Cabernet, film- oh and loads of markets, food stalls, AND a bit of music across loads of stages not just the 8 main stages!! Enjoy- and don't worry about your parents!!

The biggest difference between Glastonbury and other big festivals is the campsites. Because there is a lot of late night entertainment people tend to sleep at their tent, not party. We camp at the back edge of dairy and honestly, you could hear a pin drop at night. The last time someone pissed against the tent was in about 1998, and on the periphery there's generally enough space between tents that folk don't stumble over your head. I just can't imagine doing all that extra walking each day to an off site place, it would kill me! I guess you might be fitter than me though! If you are going to stay there though, I would recommend that you are super organised and make use of the free (donation) lockups to store warm clothing, booze and waterproofs so you don't have to carry a massive bag around with you.

a bit of an obsessive planner

Oops, so am I. Maybe he'll calm down once he's packed, and repacked his bags for the trip. Can't answer for camping as we have a CV, but they just need to avoid pitching up by paths, bins, toilets, burger vans and other areas that attract loads of people. You'll have seen how mud slides down the slopes to bank up against tents, so as long as they keep their stuff dry, their spirits will remain high.

Re obsessive planning (wait till he goes mental with clashfinder), you may not be able to change that until he gets there so maybe leave him to it, and get him to check this forum for a better feel for the festival (I get told off by my cousin for overplanning and trying to get onsite early (pre-10.30am), so we split up and meet later), so maybe you could all discuss how you'll meet up regularly throughout the days, and then give them a guided tour on the first day to give them an idea of activities and the size of the place? You have to strike the balance of helping them and enjoying the festival yourself, otherwise it can get tense for everyone. I've seen so many arguing couples :-(

If he is going to see music, he's better off watching entire sets rather than breaking off to see another band, as yomping across the fields to see 10 minutes of an act ain't good. Yes, ok, loads of people say it's not just about the music, but that's difficult to see or understand until you get there and see the stalls, bars, flag field over the Park, the circuses, ad hoc things, the Tea Ladies etc. What are they like for drinking? Just tell them to avoid much boozing before teatime and they'll last longer through the night, but that's their call. I'm 47 and am fine for the festival and walking about, with occasional sit downs until about 2am each day. The memories of things goes about 11pm, but that's wine related.

Hi there,

Re your parents. I have hired a static caravan (with bathroom inc toilet and shower) for the first time and maybe your parents would like to share? There is a double and a single bed (as well as the single I will be occupying) - it was the smallest caravan I could hire! The three of you would fit in fine. I'm a 60 year old woman, experienced in festivals generally and Glastonbury in particular and would be happy to show them around.

Let me know if you're interested.

PS I don't know yet which of the two possible fields it will be towed to, but hoping for east.

We don't even look at the Clashfinder until we arrive - admittedly because we're in the CV Fields we can arrive on the Tuesday - so we have an 'extra' day compared to some. But generally there's plenty of time to plan once you've settled in.

Hi Guys,

This year I will be taking my parents to their first (festival) Glastonbury. Being in their 40's/50's, they are looking for advice on certain things that normally would bother me (I've been to a lot of festivals). I'm trying to prevent them doing the 'park and ride' thing as I don't think they will be able to enjoy the whole experience this way, but I want them to have a good time.

Their many concerns are...

• Camping - they seem to be worried about a bunch of kids being all loud and pissed and disturbing them at night, I've suggested camping in one of the campsites on the outskirts of the festival e.g Dairy ground - could advise any further.

As I understand it, the family camping area is for families with children ONLY and at 26 years old I don't think I would qualify...

• Toilets - I NEED to keep my mum away from the long-drops, what's the deal with paid/VIP shower/toilet facilities as I'm sure she won't mind paying a bit extra for a hot shower.

Also any other tips from the 40+ guys would be greatly appreciated. I really want my parents to relax and have a good time

I've been to around a dozen festivals before, but this will be my first Glastonbury

Glastonbury will be like no festival you have ever experienced. having never been before, there is nothing you can do to prepare your parents or yourself for it.

Leave any preconceptions behind you. Just go with how the festival takes you, dont spend all day in front of the pyramid. Be prepared to walk. lots.

Some great advice up there.

First went at age 47 in 2007, a real muddy year, my 1st festival, having only been to big stadium & one day stuff like Knebworth many years in the past. Have stayed at Big Ground, some years noisy, some quiet. In all honesty, if your parents like a tipple, go out all day walking and exploring they'll propably be so tired a bit of noise won't trouble them. If not, earplugs are their friend & to pitch a bit further out might be better. And @ £90 + for the posh toilets, I've got better things to spend cash on but if they have it, well maybe they can go for it.

Anyway, tell your Pater & Mater not to worry, all will become clear once the tent is set up and if anything like my & many others experience they get blown away by the whole thing. I vowed to go back until the time my legs wouldn't carry me anymore :)

Hope you all have a great time.

Edited by whisty

• 2 weeks later...

One year (I can't remember which they all blur into each other over time) we were camped in Big Ground in a large four bedroomed tent. But there were only three of us so a bedroom was spare (being used to store food and other stuff).

Two pretty young things turned up and tried to put their brand new tent up next to ours. But it was close to the road and the ground was too stoney for the pegs to go in. We tried to help but failed so, as good gentlemen, we offered them the alternative of sleeping in our spare bedroom. An offer they took up.

Every night when we got home there was loud snoring from their bedroom. They were already in bed and fast asleep.

It's something about kids who go at it like crazy and then clap out. Whilst us old farts pace ourselves, based on experience, and last the distance.

So watch out or your 'elderly old folks' might show you up yet.

ah theres the thing old son im 46 tomo but i find i still go at it like crazy lol

It's something about kids who go at it like crazy and then clap out. Whilst us old farts pace ourselves, based on experience, and last the distance.

So watch out or your 'elderly old folks' might show you up yet.

Think taking a bit of time to chose a good camping spot is main advice I'd give. Quieter spots can be found away from main stages. Worth asking the camp site advisors when you get there and check on fellow campers before pitching up. Large groups of lads putting up a gazebo is rarely a sign you will get a good nights sleep! Also keep away from toilet blocks and the metal path ways as there is constant noise all night from them

As a 40 something too, I'd also say the size of the site can be quite daunting on your first trip to Worthy Farm. You want to see everything but its just not possible. Best to concentrate on 2-3 areas of the festival each day, rather than spend ages walking up and down the site to catch half a set here and there

Edited by phil the shrew