Manics

yehbutnobut

im not sure where i'd put them. not big enough to headline Other but maybe too big to headline John Peel. they're somewhere in the middle (though if they were doing The Holy Bible in full then John Peel would be best as i'm sure a lot of the crowd would leave after realising it's not your usual greatest hits set)

I think I'd like to see HB in JP. Keep it nice and dark and intimate with a bit of eerie lighting. Would be amazing.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

me and the missus had the manics debate as well - she dont like their new stuff either - yes they are middle of the road and at least dont try and pretend they are not middle aged. Still a good band id always see if they were on at Glasto tho, but nothing will be that second stage performance in 94, balaclava and all!

me and the missus had the manics debate as well - she dont like their new stuff either - yes they are middle of the road and at least dont try and pretend they are not middle aged. Still a good band id always see if they were on at Glasto tho, but nothing will be that second stage performance in 94, balaclava and all!

But being middle aged doesn't mean you have to be middle of the road and shit! See Nick Cave, David Bowie, Patti Smith for reference - all of whom are past middle aged and still putting out great music.

Oh so you'll believe the others then..... ;-)

Doubt they'd play anything off it though.

I don't believe anyone! Hence the proviso. *If* they confirm and *if* I get a ticket...

Why wouldn't they play anything off it? I don't really see the point of the album if there were no singles and they don't play it. Just a sweetener for the fans?

But I love Motorcycle Emptiness.

In fact, I'm hard pushed to think of an album I like whilst hating one of the songs from it with a fiery passion.

Do you like Jackie Collins?

I do actually. I think the middle-8 makes it - "A situationist sisterhood of Jackie and Joan!"

I accept that Generation Terrorists contains filler. But there's something wide-eyed and naive and hopeful about it. It's daring and ballsy and full of youthful exuberance. So I can handle it and I love it all.

I like Everything Must Go too, for the record. After that I just think they're flogging a dead horse.

Design fort life annoys me now as everyone always wants that and they end their pets with it and they've done so much better.

I'm guessing you're typing on a phone! :sarcastic: Ending their pets with it seems extreme...

I love No Surface All Feeling, Small Black Flowers, Kevin Carter, Enola/Alone, Elvis Impersonator... really fond of that album. I don't listen to it much but then I don't listen to the Manics much because my default position is annoyed with them.

Holy Bible though. Now there's an album. And for that reason I'm in if they play.

"sipping me off now" - love it. Might start using that phrase!

I appreciate where you're coming from Scruffy. The thing is I would love a festival set like the one you describe because it will contain Faster and You Love Us and I will be battered.

If I pay for a gig and they let me down it will just make me angry. I think also I peaked with their gigs. I got tickets to some tiny little gig in Cardiff around the time Forever Delayed came out - can anyone help me out here? It was basically in a shopping centre and it got filmed for TV and we met Vernon Kaye who told us to hide our 2-litre bottle of Strongbow...

Anyway that gig was untoppable - the setlist was awesome, Nicky Wire was about 2ft away from me. I can't top it - unless it's a Holy Bible gig.

Festival set = nothing to lose.

Gah, I didn't want to rise to it but bugger it, I'm giving my opinion :). Manics are still a good band and are still great live. They'll never be the same band as they once were and they're not trying to be.

They had their shit period a decade ago with TIMTMY, Know Your Enemy and Lifeblood, they've since recovered - and Know Your Enemy could have been a good 10 track album with a bit (ok, a lot) of quality control and if they'd chucked in Masses Against the Classes.

Show Me The Wonder is a good song with a great video (maybe I like it so much because I saw the video several times first). Anyhow, the rest of the album sounds absolutely nothing like it, so it would be a shame for anyone to avoid listening to it on the basis of that one song.

Gah, I didn't want to rise to it but bugger it, I'm giving my opinion :). Manics are still a good band and are still great live. They'll never be the same band as they once were and they're not trying to be.

They had their shit period a decade ago with TIMTMY, Know Your Enemy and Lifeblood, they've since recovered - and Know Your Enemy could have been a good 10 track album with a bit (ok, a lot) of quality control and if they'd chucked in Masses Against the Classes.

Show Me The Wonder is a good song with a great video (maybe I like it so much because I saw the video several times first). Anyhow, the rest of the album sounds absolutely nothing like it, so it would be a shame for anyone to avoid listening to it on the basis of that one song.

Well, that's cool - we'll just have to agree to disagree! I think it's pants.

Edit to say: I do like Masses Against the Classes. Good live.

Edited by RebeccaD

For some reason this phone won't let me delete any typos on this website once I've hit space. It's so annoying.

Amway (see) if they play a festival and it's not a holy bible set, you'll come away thinking you were right. They'll play faster, you love us, motorcycle and probably one other. It's pretty much guaranteed they'd play tolerate, design, stole the Sun, your love alone plus at least four off the new album. Much better to saypa twenty five quid and see a show of theirs.

The only reason I'm going on so much is cos I fully sympathise and if anything felt more disappointeduthan you due to the years of jet down. I could go into more detail which I'm sure you'd empathise with but it will have to wait until I'm at a pc cos this is sipping me off now.

did you type that with your head wand??