Festival Search

eFestivals Camping Store

Recent Topics

Photo

Other Lives

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#21 wackojackohighcliffe

wackojackohighcliffe

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:04 AM

Just came back from the Green Man and they worked brilliantly on the Main Stage. Just sayin'

#22 bennyhana22

bennyhana22

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:23 PM

Just came back from the Green Man and they worked brilliantly on the Main Stage. Just sayin'

My point exactly!

COME ON, Simon and Sofia - you have the power to make this happen, and give Other Lives the size of stage that they need! At least the Big Top, ideally the Garden.

And don't fret about a vacant Tipi slot - the members of the Forum will pledge to provide 45mins of first-rate entertainment in lieu of Other Lives!

YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE!

Ben

#23 GeordieMartin

GeordieMartin

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:45 PM

Thing is, over the last few days i've asked loads of people who i know who are going to EOTR and not one of them had even heard of Other lives so i'm not sure they're as big (yet) as some people are suggesting on here.I've not known a band at this festival be upgraded to another stage from the one they were originally booked to play on (discounting bands who have slotted in for someone who has cancelled, Caitlin rose for example? But she had already played her booked slot the day before) Guess we'll soon know,NOT LONG NOW! :D

#24 bennyhana22

bennyhana22

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:49 PM

I didn't really have any expectation of success, GM! I'm happy seeing them anywhere, but I think there is merit in the argument that they need space for their sound. I just think that their fantastic music wafting over the Garden would be magnificent. I know it's not gonna happen, though...or IS it?! ;)

Optimism - it's a burden, you know.

Ben

#25 bennyhana22

bennyhana22

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:52 PM

Oh, and I'm kind of pleased that no-one else knows them as that means they are still special and they are mine!

Ben

#26 GeordieMartin

GeordieMartin

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:19 PM

I didn't really have any expectation of success, GM! I'm happy seeing them anywhere, but I think there is merit in the argument that they need space for their sound. I just think that their fantastic music wafting over the Garden would be magnificent. I know it's not gonna happen, though...or IS it?! ;)

Optimism - it's a burden, you know.

Ben

I hear ya Ben. Here is another thought, because of the increased numbers etc, maybe the tipi stage is going to be a lot bigger this year? You should have seen the size of it in 2009! Was tiny, and i mean, tiny. Last year was a lot bigger, sort of a marquee added onto the tipi so maybe this year they will make it even bigger? You never know as they do like to make changes however big or small.

#27 bennyhana22

bennyhana22

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

Yeah, I was there in 2009 and without being a grumpy-pants it was a bit rubbish in there! So many able-bodied adults lounging around on the floor (don't let perfect passion read this - she'll start ranting!). I'm sure at one point we 'coerced' the lounging lizards into getting off their backsides so that more than seven people could watch the band! The Tipi size that year actually put me off even trying to see stuff in there - Blitzen Trapper was ridiculous...I actually like to WATCH a band if I'm 'seeing' them live, rather than the equivalent of just standing around in a tent looking at 100's of people's backs at a stand-up live album play through!

So either I'll be delighted at the new incarnation of the Tipi or else will have to camp out there for 5 hours before the set as miss Other Lives I WILL NOT!

Ben

#28 GeordieMartin

GeordieMartin

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:55 PM

Yeah, I was there in 2009 and without being a grumpy-pants it was a bit rubbish in there! So many able-bodied adults lounging around on the floor (don't let perfect passion read this - she'll start ranting!). I'm sure at one point we 'coerced' the lounging lizards into getting off their backsides so that more than seven people could watch the band! The Tipi size that year actually put me off even trying to see stuff in there - Blitzen Trapper was ridiculous...I actually like to WATCH a band if I'm 'seeing' them live, rather than the equivalent of just standing around in a tent looking at 100's of people's backs at a stand-up live album play through!

So either I'll be delighted at the new incarnation of the Tipi or else will have to camp out there for 5 hours before the set as miss Other Lives I WILL NOT!

Ben

Yeah i'm the same. The tipi tent was ridiculous that year. I only Saw J. Tillman and then didn't go back. Like you, just loads of people sitting and then tutting if you went and stood, spoiling their view. Still, at least they took notice of the complaints and made it bigger, many festivals wouldn't. I have no problem with people sitting down at gigs if it's a sit down sort of venue or there's tables and chairs but i've always disliked the sitting on the floor gigs where those sitting never seem to care that there are people trying to get into the area to see the band and the fact that they're sitting is taking up much more room. If it's roomy and no one is trying to get in, fine, sit, even sprawl out if you like but as soon as it starts filling up then do the decent thing and stand up. I know you couldn't have chairs in the garden stage last year after 6pm which i thought was a great idea as that really filled up with people side by side and must look great for the bands too looking out onto it.

#29 perfectpassion

perfectpassion

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:54 PM

I am not reading this I am busy packing and trying to decide which shoes to bring... bovver boots for the tipi! Ben please don't get too excited and wiggle your WOGGLE in there B)

Edited by perfectpassion, 23 August 2011 - 07:56 PM.

#30 Fat_Buddha

Fat_Buddha

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:14 PM

The buggers don't just sit on the floor, they sprawl all over it; sometimes I think I have wondered into some private, meditative event. It's worse than the commodes people sit on all day at the front of the garden stage.

#31 paulwa

paulwa

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:29 PM

Nice to have somewhere to sit down for a different kind of vibe, I reckon. There are plenty of other places to stand up or leap about. Watching Ben Ottewell in the middle of Sunday morning, lying pretty close to the front of the stage with a pint of cider in hand was one of my highlights of last year. But it will be largely dependent on the act and the time of day, to make the most of the 'chilled out' atmosphere.

#32 perfectpassion

perfectpassion

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:39 AM

I think (my hatred of the lounge/creche/tipi aside) that the point is THEY SOUND LIKE WIDE OPEN SPACES ;)

#33 seadragon

seadragon

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:01 PM

This song was so beautiful when I saw them play it last week. These guys need to be on a bigger stage or at the very least in a higher slot. Swap with Spectrals please. Nathaniel Rateliff followed by Other Lives would be perfect.

#34 seadragon

seadragon

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:23 PM

and check out their recent Tiny Desk Concert along with a review of their Sasquatch show:

'To begin with, there was an overflowing crowd and, to my surprise, fellow Oklahoman and Flaming Lips mastermind Wayne Coyne was sitting in the little photo pit I was walking toward. The guy was wearing a big grin, and soon, so was the crowd.' :D

http://www.npr.org/2...cc=asc-20110824

#35 Risteardo

Risteardo

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:36 AM

It's fantastic, Risteardo, though I am still uncertain as to whether I like it more than their truly beautiful S/T debut LP...seek that out if you can. They'll have played quite a few European/UK festivals by EOTR, so should be warmed up nicely for a truly brilliant set!

Ben

Loving the S/T album. Hope they bring the trumpet!

#36 riverlodge

riverlodge

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:46 PM

bump
(sorry, getting gratuitous now)

#37 riverlodge

riverlodge

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:44 PM

any retrospective thoughts?
for any non believers, some homework:: http://www.amoeba.co...ther-lives.html

#38 perfectpassion

perfectpassion

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:04 PM

Wish they had been on the Garden Stage with an hour long set, but then you know I would say that!!
I hadn't listened to the album before EoTR, and it is superb on vinyl...and such a nice bunch of people. Really want to see them when they return to the Uk but the dates/venues don't work for me. What's your verdict RL???

#39 riverlodge

riverlodge

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:18 PM

i don't want to claim i was brow beaten into liking them :) but i was surprised how well the sound worked on a smallish stage. nice to see them close up and be impressed by playing skills, plus to see jesse close up - you can tell he is an artist with depth (also, tbh i was a bit overawed finding you +P, seadragon and BH first time up....)

if they make it over the next twelve months, i think a roundhouse gig would be superb for them, def their kind of space. and i'd drag mrs rl along too.

#40 perfectpassion

perfectpassion

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:37 PM

I think I was overawed by the whole day. We had them on our list before BH started his campaign, and then got caught up with his enthusiasm. They are classic Americana. Ah a Roundhouse gig where we could all meet up again would be nice!

Edited by perfectpassion, 17 September 2011 - 10:42 PM.