The Pets Thread

Lithium05

Dreamies work miracles. Though I get a bit alarmed with ours - she twitches like crazy when I bring out the Dreamies, and because she has fits, I'm thinking it's probably a little fit, or might trigger one.

Glad your cat's feeling a bit better.

lol, what do they put in those things? The tv advert isn't an overstatement lol! Cleo gets wild eyes when they come out and almost takes my fingers off. I am sorry to hear about your cats fits :-(

Why do we have pets, seriously.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's good, she's adjusting now then. :)

She is still lying around a lot and refusing to do some things but she is getting there and will do it in time I am sure. It doesn't help that she is a greedy cat so we only seem to be able to motivate her with treats, yet we are trying to get her weight down to reduce the pressure on her three remaining limbs. We will get there! We have swapped the dreamies for chicken as too many dreamies wouldn't be good for her.

She is playing me for a fool. I just got in from work and took her outside for some fresh air. Tried to get her to walk back in but she refused. Got the chicken out and she walked half way then refused again. Picked her up and brought her in and she turned straight back round again and RAN out the back door!

She is playing me for a fool. I just got in from work and took her outside for some fresh air. Tried to get her to walk back in but she refused. Got the chicken out and she walked half way then refused again. Picked her up and brought her in and she turned straight back round again and RAN out the back door!

:lol:

I thought ours was a goner this morning - her phenobarbitone went down the wrong way, and she was coughing and spluttering, and struggling to breathe for what seemed like ages. I thought we'd choked her. You're meant to drip it slowly into her mouth, which is totally unrealistic with a cat. Our experience has been like this one:

http://www.thedailym...veacatapill.htm

HOW TO GIVE A CAT A PILL

by Source unknown

1. Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat’s mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of 10.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees. Hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat’s throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9. Check the label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse’s forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbour’s shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for the date of last tetanus jab. Throw T-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Ring Fire Brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologise to neighbour who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid the cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13. Tie cat’s paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Get spouse to drive you to Casualty, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15. Arrange for RSPCA to collect cat and ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters. ....

HOW TO GIVE A DOG A PILL

16. Wrap it in bacon (sound familiar, anyone?)

clear.gif

Edited by feral chile

Ha, that is so so true.

Glad your puss cat it ok!

Cleo one week in is doing remarkably well, her mood has shifted and she is back to her toe nibbling self. She even managed to jump up on my lap earlier.

If anyone is ever faced with the same predicament I would so definitely recommend having it done. We've probably just bought her at least another couple of enjoyable years, if not many more than that. Fingers and paws crossed.

Go Cleo, you rock.

Ha, that is so so true.

Glad your puss cat it ok!

Cleo one week in is doing remarkably well, her mood has shifted and she is back to her toe nibbling self. She even managed to jump up on my lap earlier.

If anyone is ever faced with the same predicament I would so definitely recommend having it done. We've probably just bought her at least another couple of enjoyable years, if not many more than that. Fingers and paws crossed.

Go Cleo, you rock.

That's good news. She sounds like a plucky little thing :)

She certainly is. When the fur grows back I will post a photo :)

If she can do it at her age and size (she is only small but weighs 6kg, she should be about 4!!) then I reckon most cats should be given the chance. Having said that we wouldn't have put our Maine Coon through it. She would have gone mental.

You know your own pets I guess and I always knew Cleo would be fine - probably why I worried so much when she seemed to be struggling.

She is back at the vets next Monday to have her stitches out and then that's it, all done hopefully for a good many years :)

She certainly is. When the fur grows back I will post a photo :)

If she can do it at her age and size (she is only small but weighs 6kg, she should be about 4!!) then I reckon most cats should be given the chance. Having said that we wouldn't have put our Maine Coon through it. She would have gone mental.

You know your own pets I guess and I always knew Cleo would be fine - probably why I worried so much when she seemed to be struggling.

She is back at the vets next Monday to have her stitches out and then that's it, all done hopefully for a good many years :)

I'm so glad it's gone well, for both of you. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...