Tartan Heart 2008

Guest Paul ™

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Holloway's wanted to play this year's festival but unfortunately they could not sort out travel from Cornwall where they are appearing at the Rip Curl Boardmasters Festival which is on the same weekend as Belladrum :lol:

I think that's a bit harsh.

The Holloways are second on the bill on the second stage on the Friday night in Newquay.

Realistically they're not going to be off-stage, packed and ready to go much before 10pm. No chance of getting to an airport, checking in and getting a flight before the airport closes for the night (at least not the destination airport).

So they could fly up Saturday morning.

And I highly doubt that they'll get all their equipment on the plane; even if they offer to pay excess baggage, I doubt there would be enough spare room on the plane. So if they're going to fly, they can probably get on with a guitar each, and then play at the festival with hired amps and drumkit. Hardly ideal.

Either that, or they drive up (or fly themselves and get somebody to drive all their kit).

Newquay to Inverness is nearly 700 miles drive; the roads in Cornwall aren't brilliant, and I'll bet it's not exactly six-lane highway all the way to Belladrum, is it? That's 14 hours drive if you average 50 mph, without allowing for stopping for fuel, toilets etc.

From Newquay, they can get midday-ish flights to either Glasgow or Edinburgh, getting in sometime after 2pm. Get disembarked, processed, hire car picked up, on the road by 3pm, maybe get to the festival site by what? 6.30pm?

Or they can spend 3 hours or so driving to bristol for an early afternoon flight to get into Inverness for about 4pm. So yeah, they could be at the festival site by 5pm. And their equipment might have arrived by then too.

Or of course they could pretend they're Led Zeppelin and hire a plane to fly them and their equipment from Newquay to Inverness.

Whatever way you do it, it strikes me as a load of hassle, too much scope for problems (I mean, it's not unknown for some of these flights to be delayed 2 or 3 hours is it?), and a sod of a lot of expenditure which may well make the whole enterprise financially unviable anyway.

It was but at least those ones were worth a watch and was making it (slightly) worth going. If the kids weren't so keen on going and arrangements made I would suffer the loss of the ticket price and stay at home for the weekend.

So annoyed :lol:

Dunno about that but maybe there's something in it.

Maybe as you say trying to get three festivals together is taking it's toll. I really enjoy Bella but I do want to see some decent bands to make it worth going and sorry for being negative (again) but the line up now is seriously poor.

All I need now is Lemonheads, Idlewild and Cold War Kids to pull out :lol:

if idlewild pull out i might cry :lol:

Cage The Elephant were one of my picks of the weekend, realy disappointed with that. But it realy looks down to bad luck more than anything. Can't help illnesses, just hope the people get better. I suspected The Long Blondes were going to pull as heard about the illness a couple of weeks ago. The Holloways are maybe different thou, this is either a muck up from the bands management or the Bella promoters.

Having said that, for me Sons And Daughters are better than any of the bands that pulled out. Hopefuly a couple of good replacements/announcements to come.

listen folks, i,m just back from Big Tent and there was not one band that i cared less or not if i seen but had the best time, seen a Zimbabwean dance troop, played drums in the drum clinic with the kids and then watched Phil Kay entertain the kids in a mass grass fight before watchin a local (really) young Fife band called B Raymond and the voicettes cause mayhem as they asked all the kids and their friends to invade the stage, had one of the best times i have ever had at a festival, so peeps pull out and their replaced who gives a toss when the beer is flowing.

Bring it on i,m gonna have a fab time your all invited.

listen folks, i,m just back from Big Tent and there was not one band that i cared less or not if i seen but had the best time, seen a Zimbabwean dance troop, played drums in the drum clinic with the kids and then watched Phil Kay entertain the kids in a mass grass fight before watchin a local (really) young Fife band called B Raymond and the voicettes cause mayhem as they asked all the kids and their friends to invade the stage, had one of the best times i have ever had at a festival, so peeps pull out and their replaced who gives a toss when the beer is flowing.

Bring it on i,m gonna have a fab time your all invited.