Embrace missing out or hideaway?

Fred Zepplin

21 hours ago, Fred Zepplin said:

Congratulations to everyone who got tickets. I missed out for the first time since 2007. Well I didn’t go in 2019 but we had just had a baby so decided to give it a miss. 
For the ticketless will you be doing anything special for Glastonbury weekend and be watching everything available or pretending the whole thing isn’t happening?
My friends who have never been and don’t want to go have a party and get the projector set up outside. We’ve been I invited to go but at the moment I just want to pretend it’s not on this year 

Personally I paid no attention to it at all when I didn't get in, went down the Devon/Cornwall for the week and blocked it out. Out of sight/out of mind. I've not yet watched anything significant from that weekend. I did however really enjoy my days away doing something that I never had before that was a long time coming.

18 hours ago, Mardy said:

I didn't get a ticket last year, first time since 2007 and it was...fine. Got over the initial disappointment and moved on.

Didn't watch it on telly cos I'm never that fussed about watching music on TV, it always fails to capture the essence of it. And I'd never rewatched sets I was at when I got home anyway, so I definitely wasn't going to start watching sets I wasn't at. I'll be honest I can't remember what I did last year over Glastonbury weekend. Just got on with my life I guess. Was surprisingly painless. And decided against trying in the resale this year. Having broken the habit, much easier this year, things can exist without me being there. I'll live, the festival will continue. Current plan is to try on T-day this autumn and if that doesn't work, not bother with the resale.

Too much bloody vision – The Ed Techie

I am trying to go with that theory next year, should I fail, get in early and book a week away to some parts in England I never have, up to Scotland maybe or something, hire a car and do some northern trekking.

Hiking in scotland would be a great way to ignore it all yknow. I've hiked the West highland way and the Speyside way in the last few years, and its been great - book up the accommodation well in advance, plot your route so you're not undertaking ridiculous distances, and its a brilliant way to spend a week. 

Start each day with a fryup, bit of hiking through some amazing countryside, about six hours a day/15 miles ish so room for afternoon nappage and a couple of pints with dinner somewhere, and then b&b/little hotel/pub rooms for a wonderful night's sleep and ready to do it all again the next day. Perhaps a little whisky here and there to aid your feet too!

If i were avoiding a glastonbury, thats precisely what i would do 

Personally, I choose to embrace. Leading up to the festival I watch vlogs of the years I went, looking out for things acts I saw and reminisce. I've already watched a couple from last year, currently watching the GnR set.

For the actual weekend I'll check in during the evening after the kids are in bed, crack open a couple of cans and catch up on highlights and then watch live.

At the end of the day, you tried your best to be there, and it's gutting to miss out, but you know you'll (very likely) get to go again and it was out of your control that you missed out this year.

You can avoid it too if that helps, but as others said, might just compound your misery even more. 

On 4/22/2024 at 12:28 PM, Fred Zepplin said:

Congratulations to everyone who got tickets. I missed out for the first time since 2007. Well I didn’t go in 2019 but we had just had a baby so decided to give it a miss. 
For the ticketless will you be doing anything special for Glastonbury weekend and be watching everything available or pretending the whole thing isn’t happening?
My friends who have never been and don’t want to go have a party and get the projector set up outside. We’ve been I invited to go but at the moment I just want to pretend it’s not on this year 

Each to their own - personally I think a combination of 'embrace', and also book something that weekend (a little holiday?) that makes you almost 'glad' you're not going to glasto. Something that you come back from going "that weekend was great, and I wouldn't have experienced that had I gone to glasto".

By the 'embrace' element, I mean - feel free to whack on a headliner in your holiday home, with your mates, catch up on iplayer sets later in the month...and just be grateful for the positives, that you're not camping in the cold and that you will be going to glasto at some point again in the future! Personally it'd feel worse if for me if I pretended it wasn't happening.

i think the party with your mates and a projector fits the bill on both accounts tbh - have a good laugh with your mates and enjoy the glasto music!

Fully embrace the TV! My whole family is going this year without me - I love Glasto but it's not something I want to do every single year. We get the projector out, BBQ on, COLD beers from a fridge and enjoy the easy access to my bathroom and hand washing facilities. See it as a weekend of cracking TV, bit like when there's a big sporting weekend except sport is sh*t and music is great....!

Edited by hannahlmoore

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/23/2024 at 3:15 PM, hannahlmoore said:

Fully embrace the TV! My whole family is going this year without me - I love Glasto but it's not something I want to do every single year. We get the projector out, BBQ on, COLD beers from a fridge and enjoy the easy access to my bathroom and hand washing facilities. See it as a weekend of cracking TV, bit like when there's a big sporting weekend except sport is sh*t and music is great....!

This for me.

gazebo and tent in garden, big order from burrow hill, get some like minded people around and enjoy it from home. Did it lockdown year and it’s not the same but at least it’s a chance to sit outside with a cider at 10am and not get bollocked. Finally accepted the fact today that it’s my first missed festival since 97, not a bad run, bring it on.

Every time I see this thread I think it’s about band choices! 😀

I’ve not missed one since I first went but I think I’d vote hide away, go on a holiday over Glasto week and get another different festival fix after. 

Watching it on TV sucks, I tried this last year. You don't get any of the vibe or any of the bits that make glastonbury what it is. Book the time off work and go do something else!

7 minutes ago, Lakey91 said:

Watching it on TV sucks, I tried this last year. You don't get any of the vibe or any of the bits that make glastonbury what it is. Book the time off work and go do something else!

I guess clashes are less of a problem watching on tv