UK Politics

kalifire

7 hours ago, Neil said:

depends what the measure is?

will he succeed in improving things? yes, things are so bad he can improve them. 🙂 

he's got a big job on his hands though, especially when they rule out any tax rises and the tory are busy cutting them and setting traps everywhere.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

he's got a big job on his hands though, especially when they rule out any tax rises and the tory are busy cutting them and setting traps everywhere.

Not true though is it. Its a convenient excuse. The tories are not unpopular because they have too high taxes, they are also not less unpopular since they started to cut tax.

Starmer’s labour is ruled by a Thatcherite clique, they are dispersing the myth that all of their Thatcherite nonsense is a product of politics rather than will through unofficial channels through friendly journo/commentator pieces. Done in a way to make idiots think they’re big brains who get politics whilst everyone else complaining about ’red tories’ are the dafties. But with public sentiment regarding the tories as it is, there is simply no reason to be dishonest about their intentions. Because they arent. This is them. Red tories.

8 hours ago, Neil said:

depends what the measure is?

will he succeed in improving things? yes, things are so bad he can improve them. 🙂 

I guess the measure is the high level of expectation that things will quickly change for the better. I don't think they will. He's still been dealt the same hand of cards and is going to have to either cut spending or raise taxes (unless he can tap Rayner for some cash).

Edited by Ommadawn

5 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

I guess the measure is the high level of expectation that things will quickly change for the better. I don't think they will. He's still been dealt the same hand of cards and is going to have to either cut spending or raise taxes (unless he can tap Rayner for some cash).

Are expectations that high?

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Are expectations that high?

I don’t think they are, most people realise the state of the country that the Tories have left us in and will give Labour time to turn things around. Right wingers and the Tory media won’t give them time though but that’s to be expected. 

9 hours ago, Ozanne said:

He’s gonna be such a good PM, the signs are right there. Their housing policy alone will improve things infinitely. 

Why is he not saying anything about the hundreds of thousands of empty derelict properties?

If any politician really wanted to sort housing htye would get those renovated first and then look at what is still needed.

Locally there are more of them needing renovation thatn the plans for 'urgent' housebuilding to meet peoples needs.

A few years ago a government survey showed (it is on ONS website somewhere) that there are enough empty buildings to more than meet the UK's housing needs - so why are they still mostly empty and why do politicians not talk about them?

PS the answer is that house building grows GDP better than renovation so the later is deemed unimportant. That way we end up with loads of new housing, mostly lacking facilities like scools and GP's and hundreds of thousnads of of empty buildings rotting slowly.
A good PM would sort that out. Will Starmer?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Labour are petrified of anything connected to the EU and would rather harm the future of young people than even talk about a scheme like this that will do them all good.

If they, and the Tories, actually did concentrate on the priorities of the British people then closer ties in all respects with the EU would be top of the list.

1 hour ago, Ommadawn said:

Pretty much all their cards are to get growth as without that their pledges to not cut spending or raise taxes mean they have no money and the country will stagnate for 5 years while they blame the Tories at every oppotunity and tell the electorate they need a 2nd term.

The state of things now means the UK needs a new path - not just the old one painted in a different colour.

1 hour ago, Ommadawn said:

Things will change for the better but perhaps not Very quickly.people were unhappy with Blair they didn't feel he was doing enough. But things still improved loads.

32 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Pretty much all their cards are to get growth as without that their pledges to not cut spending or raise taxes mean they have no money and the country will stagnate for 5 years while they blame the Tories at every oppotunity and tell the electorate they need a 2nd term.

The state of things now means the UK needs a new path - not just the old one painted in a different colour.

Any significant growth won't happen for at least a couple of years (if at all) so they're going to have to either raise taxes or cut spending.

12 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Any significant growth won't happen for at least a couple of years (if at all) so they're going to have to either raise taxes or cut spending.

decent funding of public services should create some growth.

8 hours ago, Neil said:

wonder if there'll be many people  on mobility scooters?

i still smoke a bit of green but have binned the tobacco, for 3 years now . 🙂 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

or borrow

They’re gonna borrow for long term investment plans such as the Green policies but for day to day spending at the moment they’ve ruled it out.

If anything I think that any further tax cuts by the Tories opens up Labour to justify putting taxes back up saying that the Tories have been reckless but that will be said after the election I would imagine. 

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Victory for common sense motorist types in Wales as looks like they're going to uturn on the 20mph thing...

And Greens going to vote on whether to ditch power sharing with SNP over that carbon uturn thingy.

Here endeth your news roundup.

the greens probably don't want to be part of the snp's fraud.

30 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

for day to day spending at the moment they’ve ruled it out.

makes sense cos it makes it unsustainable in the longer term.

as long as they can find a way of increasing council funding they'll be able to make a noticeable difference quite quickly, councils will know how to step up and improve their services, and real people will notice the benefit.

41 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They’re gonna borrow for long term investment plans such as the Green policies but for day to day spending at the moment they’ve ruled it out.

If anything I think that any further tax cuts by the Tories opens up Labour to justify putting taxes back up saying that the Tories have been reckless but that will be said after the election I would imagine. 

So not being honest with the electorate then. Just like the Tories.