UK Politics

kalifire

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Just three of the many UK Shipyard Locations 1980's in Southern England

Hythe, Portsmouth, Southampton

Just three of the many Coal Mines closed in the 1980's in Southern England
Betteshanger, Kent, Snowdown, Kent, Tilmanstone, Kent

Just three of the many car factories in Southern England in the 80's

MG, Abingdon, Aston Martin Milton Keyes, Ford Dagenham and in case you don't count MK as south, Ford Southampton

Still. Who needs facts

There were factories in the south but none of  the huge one horse  town employers that existed in the industrial heartlands.

Even in hedge end where ford made the transit there were loads of other job options including some of the building sites I worked on  in the eighties piece work, loads of money. £850+ a week most weeks.

6 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

you said they'd killed support for independence. Show me how you reached this conclusion? You're moving the goalposts now.

killed was not a literal, but ato indicate they'd caused support to fall go on show me something to show support has been maintained. 

wingsoverscotland 🤣🤣 he is still pro-indy it's just he hates sturgeon and trans people and loves salmond so jumped ship to Alba 

You demonstrate time and time again that you have literally 0 clue re Scottish politics. 

Scotland demonstrates time and time again that it has no clue re Scottish politics  i particularly loved the trump-like "indyref was stolen".

Scotland isn't more leftwing, if it is, why doesn't it elect a more left wing govt, than govts no better than tories.

wingsoverscotland 🤣🤣 he is still pro-indy it's just he hates sturgeon and trans people and loves salmond so jumped ship to Alba 

wings - is pointing out how scottish politicians  snp & scottish greens are failing scottish voters, and that the voters know!

what is the point of the scottish govt when scottish govt institutions won't enforce  laws passed by the scottish govt!

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

That last point, let's not let you pretend this is their fickle supporters.

I think for most folks despite countless great things they did he's been denounced by most because in spite of the biggest march in UK history they invaded Iraq and caused hundreds of thousands of casualties. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Iraq_War

The left opposed Blair from the start especially after Labour dropped Clause 4 (the common ownership clause) from its constitution. Labour won the election in 2005 despite the Lib Dems offering a centre left alternative that opposed the Iraq war There is still no evidence that Labour can win an election from the left.

Edited by lazyred

7 minutes ago, lazyred said:

There is still no evidence that Labour can win an election from the left.

true  - but lots of evidence that it can't.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

killed was not a literal, but ato indicate they'd caused support to fall go on show me something to show support has been maintained. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_on_Scottish_independence

last 5 polls before the 2021 election (so just prior to greens entering government) put yes at an average of 43.6%

the last 5 polls from today puts it 45.2% 

case closed, took 5 mins of research btw you should try it sometime. 

I’ll await your apology 👍

Modern Politics:

1) Make a sweeping statement as 'fact'
2) When proof shown that said statement is wrong change what you said
3) When it becomes obvious to you that this will not work move the goal posts
4) When this also does not work start to get angry
5) When that does not work and people who show the facts that proved your original statement to be wrong, insults are the next weapon.

Imagine if the way politics happens so often was how people acted in the real or cyber world as well.

It really would be good if politicians could just admit they were wrong.

22 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Modern Politics:

1) Make a sweeping statement as 'fact'
2) When proof shown that said statement is wrong change what you said
3) When it becomes obvious to you that this will not work move the goal posts
4) When this also does not work start to get angry
5) When that does not work and people who show the facts that proved your original statement to be wrong, insults are the next weapon.

Imagine if the way politics happens so often was how people acted in the real or cyber world as well.

It really would be good if politicians could just admit they were wrong.

I genuinely think the voters would have more respect if politicians could actually do that. Think about when a friend, family member, colleague or even boss actually holds their hand up and says, yep, sorry, that was on me. f**ked it, didn't I? Whether it was getting something factually wrong or making a mistake with a policy or something.

The media and commentators and the like would go nuts to begin with but I think once they realised it was working with the public then politicians would adjust to it and the media would calm down. Apart from the full on outrage merchants I suppose.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

they won't even have a first MP, cos they're going to lose Brighton without Caroline Lucas, and in places where bristolians have their say  there's never positive comments about the greens - recently greens in Bristol have been deselected, arrested and bitten, nothing positive at all. i saw green posters in a window last week, first time in ages I've seen some used to be loads round and about, even the radical cafes have taken green posters down lately.

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Debbonaire’s majority is huge: more than 28,000, she's also popular and well known.

polling has suggested a green win here in the past -never happened, less reason to believe it now, never had an MP as good as Debbonaire previously they were anonymous, and not liked.

53 minutes ago, Neil said:

polling has suggested a green win here in the past -never happened, less reason to believe it now, never had an MP as good as Debbonaire previously they were anonymous, and not liked.

this another I don't agree with the polls post?

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

this another I don't agree with the polls post?

There was no poll just a claim for what polling says.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

""Poll predicts Green co-leader Carla Denyer will win in new Bristol Central seat by siphoning off votes from disillusioned left""

Pretty clear I reckon that this was about a poll, one that used the 
“multi-level regression and ­post-stratification” approach too.

Labour

20 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

""Poll predicts Green co-leader Carla Denyer will win in new Bristol Central seat by siphoning off votes from disillusioned left""

Pretty clear I reckon that this was about a poll, one that used the 
“multi-level regression and ­post-stratification” 

The kind of poll (MRP) that predicted a Labour win in your area. You said that was useless