UK Politics

kalifire

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

t doesn’t seem the best use of parliamentary time

its typical of why people don't want the snp anywhere near govt (via a coalition), they're only at Westminster to f**k thing up.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

It doesn’t seem the best use of parliamentary time. I think we know where the parties stand and also know  it won’t have any impact on government policy or the conflict instead. It also looks like it won’t be as easy for the SNP to make political capital out of the conflict which was their main purpose last week.

I don't know.. it's an important foreign policy issue which is having a profound effect on communities here, think it should be debated...but if it becomes all about scoring party political points or parliamentary procedure, maybe not.

11 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

You’re always banging on about green stuff Neil. I’ve never met someone with such confused views as you. 

Also it’s not an either or situation 

I'm not really sure how benefits and the need for changes goes to hands tied with green stuff anyway!!!

Still given his upvote to a denier on the Climate Change thread I think we can all see his real views hidden under the 'I am great cos I don't fly' mask.

Anti green, anti SNP - anti anything progressive and different.

I'll probably get a warning for this post cos it is 'personal' LOL

26 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

You’re always banging on about green stuff Neil. I’ve never met someone with such confused views as you. 

Also it’s not an either or situation 

Tis an either/or there's limited resources, can't immediately fix everything that needs fixing. Best to do the important stuff - I'm not confused, just don't want labour to over promise and under deliver.

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

Tis an either/or there's limited resources, can't immediately fix everything that needs fixing. Best to do the important stuff - I'm not confused, just don't want labour to over promise and under deliver.

So green stuff isn’t important- that’s your view?

id rather Labour got on and did stuff before the cost and consequences make it umpteen times harder , if only there was an agreement on this amongst all parties and it wasn't party political . we could have been a world leader yet we will trail along behind everyone else 

• Upvote 1

What Labour are going to have to do is find a load of money..which will probably have to come from taxes...so wouldn't be surprised if early in first term they say some bullshit like they didn't realise things were so bad and are going to have to put up taxes sorry everyone....do it early, get the painful stuff out of the way. A large majority would help.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

What Labour are going to have to do is find a load of money..which will probably have to come from taxes...so wouldn't be surprised if early in first term they say some bullshit like they didn't realise things were so bad and are going to have to put up taxes sorry everyone....do it early, get the painful stuff out of the way. A large majority would help.

they might find some coins down the back of the sofa, but they won't find £26bn there!

49 minutes ago, Neil said:

they might find some coins down the back of the sofa, but they won't find £26bn there!

It was 28bn...and that was an extra borrowing figure that would be invested, and on grand scheme of things isn't that much...but it's gone now, can't talk about it...shhh...

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It was 28bn...and that was an extra borrowing figure that would be invested, and on grand scheme of things isn't that much...but it's gone now, can't talk about it...shhh...

I couldn't remember if it was 26 or 28.

I went with the smaller number as it would be less to find. There isn't the room to borrow it at the moment. Could sort out councils with that borrowing.

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Borrow 28bn per year to pay for councils? 🤔

don't think it'll do it, they've got 25 years of underfunding to cover.

Whatever money is spent on in future there really is one unescapable fact.

Unless more is paid in tax then less can be done.

The UK needs lots to bring NHS up to date not just on staff but with equipment.
It needs loads to sort adult social care
It needs loads to bring councils up to date with funding
It needs loads to change how we all do things to combat the realities of climate change - or it will cost lots more**

In short how everything is needs to change or the future might be very bleak indeed for many.

With the main 2 parties trying to not change much at all then that bleak future is heading our way as so many think a little change going Blue to Red will sort it all - which it won't.

Solution - unless we either all vote for  a new party (and I don't mean Green cos I like them) any new party will do then nothing is go9ng to change quick enough. Even Reform coming in, ignoring Net Zero but giving us PR would speed things up (disclaimer I hate Reform and hope they rot in Hell's own Hell).
Apart from that cicil revolution is about all I can think of - and we are too feeble now to do it.

**Incomplete figures show 2023 cost 4 times more than any previous year in clear up after floods, winds etc than any previous year (source ONS)

51 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

that's a councils cost not an NHS cost, cos adult social care is a statutory duty of local councils. its one of the reasons i keep banging on about sorting council finances.

Edited by Neil

49 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

t needs loads to change how we all do things to combat the realities of climate change - or it will cost lots more**

don't have to worry about rivers flooding when so much of the country will be flooded by the sea.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Whatever money is spent on in future there really is one unescapable fact.

Unless more is paid in tax then less can be done.

The UK needs lots to bring NHS up to date not just on staff but with equipment.
It needs loads to bring councils up to date with funding
It needs loads to change how we all do things to combat the realities of climate change - or it will cost lots more**

In short how everything is needs to change or the future might be very bleak indeed for many.

With the main 2 parties trying to not change much at all then that bleak future is heading our way as so many think a little change going Blue to Red will sort it all - which it won't.

Solution - unless we either all vote for  a new party (and I don't mean Green cos I like them) any new party will do then nothing is go9ng to change quick enough. Even Reform coming in, ignoring Net Zero but giving us PR would speed things up (disclaimer I hate Reform and hope they rot in Hell's own Hell).
Apart from that cicil revolution is about all I can think of - and we are too feeble now to do it.

**Incomplete figures show 2023 cost 4 times more than any previous year in clear up after floods, winds etc than any previous year (source ONS)

Ok, voting Reform

Probably not new news but I've just seen on local TV news that they want to knock down the oasis in Swindon. I can see Liam to the rescue sometime soon.