UK Politics

kalifire

Sunak, Truss, Johnson, May, Cameron...like a who's who of the 5 worst possible prime ministers you could cram into 14 disastrous years

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I'm guessing a lot of students won't be at uni on July 4th...so voting at home (or not bothering). Probably not much of a factor, a little one maybe...could affect labour/green vote in some places.

do they get a vote in both places?

and won't many of them have sorted postal votes.

Difficult to tell with the greens as the evironmental stuff seems to have taken a back seat to palestine and the gender ideology stuff. They've dropped their policy to ban halal meat etc.. I guess they want to attract voters disillusioned or kicked out of the labour party.

17 minutes ago, lost said:

Difficult to tell with the greens as the evironmental stuff seems to have taken a back seat to palestine and the gender ideology stuff. They've dropped their policy to ban halal meat etc.. I guess they want to attract voters disillusioned or kicked out of the labour party.

Exactly what happened in Scotland in the last few years where the Greens actually had some power. Became more about the trans stuff than actual green policies most of the time.

Sell the campervan?

BBC Radio Scotland: news this morning as John Swinney appears to acknowledge the SNP has no money for an election campaign, and is going to have to find the money in the next 6 weeks.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, lost said:

they're probably getting a lot more votes because of Gaza than anything else.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, not sure how that works. I was a student in 92 and can't remember where or even if I voted. I assume I did, but can't remember. 

Think you can be registered in both places but obviously only vote in one. 

Although with it not being in term time, would guess that's not the case time around

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

they're probably getting a lot more votes because of Gaza than anything else.

with a bit of anti-Semitism thrown in for good measure.

@Neil

With regards to the Greens in Bristol:

Like with any upcoming party, they've let a bunch of cranks in with minimal vetting. My (our?) Green candidate is an anti-semitic crank - Source - but there's also been a bunch of problems of Bristol Labour spouting racist remarks.

I know you know this, but there's also a lot of local resentment towards the local Labour party for enabling Marvin Rees, and all of his corruption and grandstanding. He's also taken funding from the Merchant Venturers, both directly and indirectly. There's also been a lot of backroom deals by both him and George Ferguson with a lot of the businesses in the Harbourside - many of which are owned/have ties to the SMV - and he repressed a report into this along with the Labour councillors - source.

I have quite a bit of time and respect for Thangam Debonnaire, but I also have time and respect for Carla Denyer. I think there's plenty of valid criticism that can be made of the Greens - particularly nationally and the NIMBYism they've used to take Tory votes - but I think she'd do more work to push for positive progressive policies than another Labour MP toeing the party line. If I were still in Bristol Central I'd vote for her.

I think it's a real shame that the Bristol East Green candidate is a crank. There's quite a lot of local coucillors I respect - moreso than for Bristol Labour - but they've chosen a candidate that there's no way I'll endorse. I don't have any problem with Kerry McCarthy, but I'm pretty disgusted with Starmer and Streeting. I'm not being tribal at all, I just want to vote for a left-wing candidate who isn't racist, and I think Starmer is enabling and encouraging racism and xenophobia so as to appeal to a type of voter that mostly only exists in his head. The bigger the party, the more a vote for their local candidate is also an endorsement of the leader and national message.