Travelling from Scotland to Glasgow

SilverLining

Hello all, 

We have a large group of us who all managed to secure tickets (unbelievable, I know). We hy to ave been quoted robbery prices for renting a private coach so are looking at public transport options, likely to stay in London the evening before and then head to Glasto via public train.

Anyone see any glaring problems with this plan or, have any sage advice to impart?

1 hour ago, SilverLining said:

Hello all, 

We have a large group of us who all managed to secure tickets (unbelievable, I know). We hy to ave been quoted robbery prices for renting a private coach so are looking at public transport options, likely to stay in London the evening before and then head to Glasto via public train.

Anyone see any glaring problems with this plan or, have any sage advice to impart?

You might want to amend the title from Glasgow to Glastonbury. 🙂

On 12/14/2023 at 12:04 PM, SilverLining said:

Hello all, 

You're just going to have to add up all the various cost components and do a cost comparison. Travelling from Scotland to Glasto with an overnight stop, food & beers etc may rack up the ££

• 3 weeks later...

Done the journey the last two years, first year via the official National express coach from Buchannan bus station, it was fine, no issues on what we could take on, albeit the bus only about half full, it was a god send being able to sleep the whole way home. (this cost about £190)

I would probably be against doing it again, as you are limited in what you can take, i.e plenty of beers. The amount of Money I spent in 2022 was considerably higher (about £400 across the weekend on food and drink)

Last year we drove down Tuesday after work, stayed in an M6 travel lodge around Birmingham and set off for Glastonbury about 6.30am. Broke the Journey up nicely. travel lodge was about £35 a head. 

This was by far my favourite option, saved a fortune on buying beers in the festival and you have the option to do 2/3 trips back to the car if need be. The drive home which we done in one go, leaving at 5.30am was a killer, although we were home for 2pm

8 of us going this year and considering hiring a minibus, although struggling to gauge if there would be room for our luggage as well, if anyone has any thoughts on that.

For the first time sine 1981 i won`t at the minute be going as I didn`t get a ticket in the sale, I'm not sure I can wait till the resale on the off chance that I'm lucky.

Since 2009 I`ve arranged minibuses for anything between 20 of us, to one year 50 of us. We normally get minibuses and transit vans for the luggage.

Neil93, from experience if there are 8 of you then unless you get a 17 seater you won`t have enough room, 

These have been self drive, you need to bear in mind that to drive a mini bus you need D1 on your licence. Those of us of a certain age got this automatically but you don`t and haven`t for a number of years.

message me if you have any other questions.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 3:01 PM, THEBOILERMAN said:

For the first time sine 1981 i won`t at the minute be going as I didn`t get a ticket in the sale, I'm not sure I can wait till the resale on the off chance that I'm lucky.

Since 2009 I`ve arranged minibuses for anything between 20 of us, to one year 50 of us. We normally get minibuses and transit vans for the luggage.

Neil93, from experience if there are 8 of you then unless you get a 17 seater you won`t have enough room, 

These have been self drive, you need to bear in mind that to drive a mini bus you need D1 on your licence. Those of us of a certain age got this automatically but you don`t and haven`t for a number of years.

message me if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the response @THEBOILERMAN, Apologies for the delay I have only just seen this.

it's a long old wait, I suppose if you put something else in motion and happen to resale tickets, you've got both to look forward to (cost permitting of course)

That answers my question, hiring a 9 seater was slightly more expensive, excluding fuel, than the total cost for 3 cars, fuel and car park passes but we thought it would be worth it to travel together, share the drive etc. If we had to hire anyting bigger the price would have turned it into an expensive laugh.

The drive down is fine, it's coming home that's the tough part, and I much prefer the freedom of having the car gives you as opposed to pubic transport and having to carry everything in one go.

PS, not sure any of us will have the D1 on the license anyway haha.

Thank you so much for the input.

We are going to hire a 9 seater - 6 travelling in it (everyone else is making their own way). so space plenty for the rest of the kit.

I don't feel we need the D1 for this and we all can drive and over 30 - we will likely stay around the M6 travelodge as suggested.

If we show up in a standard 9 seater with standard parking pass, are there allocated spots or do the parking stewards just jam folk in so we wont need to panic about not fitting in our space or being turned away?

Any glaring problems identified with this plan from anyone bar - Im gonna be absolutely knackered on the way home?

On 1/11/2024 at 4:27 PM, SilverLining said:

Thank you so much for the input.

We are going to hire a 9 seater - 6 travelling in it (everyone else is making their own way). so space plenty for the rest of the kit.

I don't feel we need the D1 for this and we all can drive and over 30 - we will likely stay around the M6 travelodge as suggested.

If we show up in a standard 9 seater with standard parking pass, are there allocated spots or do the parking stewards just jam folk in so we wont need to panic about not fitting in our space or being turned away?

Any glaring problems identified with this plan from anyone bar - Im gonna be absolutely knackered on the way home?

SilverLining If you're anything like the people I've gone with you`ll be pushing it with 6 in a 9 seater, by the time you get everybody's tents, rucksacks and beer in it`ll be a squash 🙂 and if any of them want to bring a sack barrow you're f**ked 🙂 

I`d look at stopping nearer to Glastonbury than Birmingham if you can. We never normally leave site until about 3/4pm and always stop in Glastonbury town itself, B&B, Travelodge or premier inn though the last 2 are probably now expensive/soldout. 

We always (used 😞 ) to go down on the Tuesday and hit the carpark about 10-11pm. they just put you in the normal carparks, Standard ticket. The route we took always brought us to Orange/Pink carpark, It`s the luck of the draw which one you get put into.

Another option you`re got is that if you have a car 3 go in that and hire a transit size van (cheaper than a 9 seater so that cover the extra fuel) 3 people in the van with everybody's gear.

Hello @SilverLining87

I've travelled from Glasgow to Glastonbury three times now, using numerous means of doing so. By far the best way is to get yourselves to Bristol the day/night before you want to arrive. Buy all the booze you need in Bristol. Rent either an airbnb or a hotel once you're there. In my experience, the whole of Bristol is in Glastonbury mood anyway, so the fun starts early 🙂

Travelling down on the Weds or Thurs loses a lot of time IMO but if you weren't too fussed about what time you arrived, it could be done!

Also, FYI - the travel back is horrific. I did it on the train once, and never again. Best way is to fly for sure, getting Nat Exp straight to the airport. I don't usually like to take internal flights, but for this I make an exception - particularly on the way back! The baggage can mean it isn't that much cheaper, but if you're sharing tents it probably will work out favourable ££ wise compared to all buying a train ticket. 

ENJOY!

Edited by Sasperella2