Tramlines 2024

sheffinghell

1 hour ago, thatTFBguy said:

Vaccines gig in Feb 2024 just moved to Octogan. Promoters must have got news the O2 building is properly screwed. 

Regardless of what you think of O2 Academy as a venue, the city losing its biggest gig venue (bar the arena) is really crap. And is going to hurt the gig scene in Sheffield massively. 

Expect that's why Bunnymen are doing City Hall in March, rather than O2 (which they're doing in other cities). Suggests renovations will be extensive and/or timing uncertain. It can't be helped. But in the meantime, I'm pleased to see Octagon and City Hall getting some business - they are both similar-ish size (Octagon only 2-300 smaller, City Hall approx same, but obvs seated). Beer is cheaper at Octagon too!

On 11/1/2023 at 3:32 PM, sheffinghell said:

Expect that's why Bunnymen are doing City Hall in March, rather than O2 (which they're doing in other cities). Suggests renovations will be extensive and/or timing uncertain. It can't be helped. But in the meantime, I'm pleased to see Octagon and City Hall getting some business - they are both similar-ish size (Octagon only 2-300 smaller, City Hall approx same, but obvs seated). Beer is cheaper at Octagon too!

I thought Octagon was quite a bit smaller capacity wise ?  Their website says 1500 standing where as O2 is 2150. 

All for more gigs at The Octagon though and reduce the stranglehold that O2 has. 

I did wonder if the new Basketball Arena would be suitable for gigs as would certainly be a good money spinner although out of town.

On 11/1/2023 at 2:28 PM, thatTFBguy said:

Vaccines gig in Feb 2024 just moved to Octogan. Promoters must have got news the O2 building is properly screwed. 

Regardless of what you think of O2 Academy as a venue, the city losing its biggest gig venue (bar the arena) is really crap. And is going to hurt the gig scene in Sheffield massively. 

Still haven’t heard anything about front bottoms though?

6 hours ago, therefused said:

Still haven’t heard anything about front bottoms though?

Not yet. Bunch of shows in December have moved as well including ones after TFB, so safe to say it's 100% not happening as planned. 

I had a look and all other venues in the city are already booked on Saturday, December 9th, and considering TFB have sold the O2 out, wouldn't actually be able to fit all the ticketholders anywhere else either (bar arena, which is obviously too big and also booked anyway). 

As they're US based and only make it over here every few years, I'm pretty confident it'll be a straight cancelation rather than a postponement. And that's f**king gutting! 

8 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

I thought Octagon was quite a bit smaller capacity wise ?  Their website says 1500 standing where as O2 is 2150. 

All for more gigs at The Octagon though and reduce the stranglehold that O2 has. 

I did wonder if the new Basketball Arena would be suitable for gigs as would certainly be a good money spinner although out of town.

According to the uni venues web site both Octagon and Foundry are max 1800 for live music standing, so I was slightly out. Foundry feels smaller and Octagon feels bigger! 500 is quite a deficit though, so O2 sold outs would be looking at City Hall or nowhere, and clearly it's not the sort of venue that works for many acts. Heaven 17 in 2 weeks time is also still in limbo, so I guess they've sold over the capacity for the uni venues.

On 11/3/2023 at 5:21 PM, sheffinghell said:

According to the uni venues web site both Octagon and Foundry are max 1800 for live music standing, so I was slightly out. Foundry feels smaller and Octagon feels bigger! 500 is quite a deficit though, so O2 sold outs would be looking at City Hall or nowhere, and clearly it's not the sort of venue that works for many acts. Heaven 17 in 2 weeks time is also still in limbo, so I guess they've sold over the capacity for the uni venues.

Interesting move by Heaven 17 - 2 nights at the smaller Network venue (c. 1000 capacity), with some sort of ticket swapping system TBA. Sounds messy.

8 hours ago, sheffinghell said:

Interesting move by Heaven 17 - 2 nights at the smaller Network venue (c. 1000 capacity), with some sort of ticket swapping system TBA. Sounds messy.

Is that what they went for? Ooof.

Mind you, if The Gaslight Anthem shifted their show a day up to March 20th, I'd be down like a shot.

12 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

Sherlock did the same weekend just gone. No clue how it worked out. Guess it's better than a cancelation at the very least. 

TBF I'm happy to see some proper sold-out gigs back there, and hope it goes well. Gives the city another viable mid sized venue if the Leadmill gets into bother over their long running dispute. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheffinghell said:

TBF I'm happy to see some proper sold-out gigs back there, and hope it goes well. Gives the city another viable mid sized venue if the Leadmill gets into bother over their long running dispute. 

Ain't been there in years, last time I was there it was still called Plug. Think it was for Big Moon in 2017. But happy to see it get some business and bigger gigs. 

Do pray O2 is back early in 2024 mind, because if we lose that venue the Sheffield gig scene falls to a new low. And I'm already sick of trekking to Manchester/Leeds/Birmingham so often. 

Accepted that my December gig isn't happening (well still bitter) but fingers crossed like Jan/Feb it's back up and running.  

8 minutes ago, thatTFBguy said:

Ain't been there in years, last time I was there it was still called Plug. Think it was for Big Moon in 2017. But happy to see it get some business and bigger gigs. 

Do pray O2 is back early in 2024 mind, because if we lose that venue the Sheffield gig scene falls to a new low. And I'm already sick of trekking to Manchester/Leeds/Birmingham so often. 

Accepted that my December gig isn't happening (well still bitter) but fingers crossed like Jan/Feb it's back up and running.  

Just had an email from O2 pushing tickets for early next year and 1 just before Xmas, so never say never

• Upvote 1

On 11/9/2023 at 4:55 PM, thatTFBguy said:

the O2 doesn't even book much good stuff anyway. for the past 8 years i've had to trek to Leeds / Manchester to go to most gigs, ive probably been to <20 gigs in Sheffield in 8 years. I go to probably 20 across leeds and manchester in 6 months

Just seen that a gig in April at the O2 Academy has been canceled today with the act citing a need for "urgent and substantial" repair work.

So situation must be very bleak. I'm just hoping it does re open eventually now and doesn't get knocked down or converted into something else. 

Get that lots of people here don't seem to think all that much of the venue but as I've said, losing the city's biggest venue is crap all the same. 

10 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

Just seen that a gig in April at the O2 Academy has been canceled today with the act citing a need for "urgent and substantial" repair work.

So situation must be very bleak. I'm just hoping it does re open eventually now and doesn't get knocked down or converted into something else. 

Get that lots of people here don't seem to think all that much of the venue but as I've said, losing the city's biggest venue is crap all the same. 

Yeah, it's not looking good. All the tribute stuff is getting cancelled right through April. With the bigger acts the promoters will be weighing up options for other venues. Uni needs to get it's act together and start plugging the two main venues there or we'll fall off the radar pretty quickly. I wonder who actually owns the O2 building. Presumably they are in some kind of leasehold arrangement.

23 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

Which gig was that?

I will concur that I think O2 Academy Sheffield is a rotten venue - but at the same time, it's never good to see a hub for music go under, particularly with The Leadmill under threat too.

5 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Would he headline? Looking at the size of recent bill-toppers, I'd assume sub, but I am honestly not sure.

He headlined Sunday at YNot, which is a similar size (and same organisers). The setlist was pretty jazzy/soulful, big touring band, piano/Hammond. For that type of show, headline is the only spot that makes sense.

8 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Which gig was that?

I will concur that I think O2 Academy Sheffield is a rotten venue - but at the same time, it's never good to see a hub for music go under, particularly with The Leadmill under threat too.

Not too sure on what the licensing on the name will be like but the building will still remain open as a venue. Think that electric music group have said they wanted to move away from the club nights to it being more focused on gigs again. The only real thing threatened by the take over was it loosing it's independent status which it's owners made out would be the end of the venue forever and seemed willing to take down the venue itself and all it's staff with them. Honestly, if it's going to move towards booking a variety of shows again it might actually be a positive result for the gig culture in Sheffield.

• Like 1