Tramlines 2024

sheffinghell

2 minutes ago, sheffinghell said:

Here we go then, tickets on sale for next year, and already on Tier 2, so looks like the rain and mud of 2023 hasn't put people off

Who do people want to see next year?

My thoughts from the 2023 thread

"After seeing them this year at Kite, I'd really love to see Suede on the line-up, and from Live at Leeds, Maximo Park and The Hives would be fantastic. Rick Astley for the McFly slot, even better if he did the Smiths mashup with Blossoms.

Others from the Superstruct roster this year... Pavement, Pigeon Detectives, Alt-j, Belle & Sebastian, KT Tunstall...

Plus must be a possibility of a Self Esteem headline"

My wishlist for next year ....

Gerry Cinnamon - please, please, please, please Tramlines

Fontaines

Wolf Alice 

Idles (for my lad)

Self Esteem

The Charlatans

Red Rum Club

The Snuts

Inhaler 

Royston Club

Dizzee

A J Tracy

Sam Scherdel

From the Jam (in small tent)

Rick Astley and Blossoms

Edited by Hirstys 12th Pint

Fontaines DC are currently the crowds favourote choice, would be silly not to get them

Wolf alice due a high slot either sub or maybe headliner?

weird how truck/tramlines/y not etc haven’t jumped on the Bastille train yet. They’re always around- could easily happen 

imagine beabadoobee could be around after cancelling her festival gigs this year 

Gerry cinnamon is another artist due an album 

the Hives went down very well opening for AM, and with an album out later this year too 

Jamie T a possibility after his Finsbury Park date this year n (relatively) new album

Jungle have an album coming out and Glass Animals are teasing one - both could be a high non-indie slot eg  sugababes/Becky Hill have done etc

seen a few people asking for the libertines

nothing but thieves have a new album out (it’s incredible btw) so can see them being around next year 

seems weird that wet leg didn’t make an appearance at tramlines/truck/y not this year. Maybe they’re on for next?

I wonder how long pulp will tour…

apologies for the long post, just speculating 

• Like 2

Good post @Will b

Great shout re The Hives - they went down a storm at Hillsborough Park supporting AM.  Singer is a great front man.

Sure Bastille have done Victorious which is on the Super Struct roster along with Tramlines, Y Not, Truck & Kendal so a possibility.  Not a fan personally.

Wet Leg have been supporting Harry Styles for last few Months.

2 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Good post @Will b

Great shout re The Hives - they went down a storm at Hillsborough Park supporting AM.  Singer is a great front man.

Sure Bastille have done Victorious which is on the Super Struct roster along with Tramlines, Y Not, Truck & Kendal so a possibility.  Not a fan personally.

Wet Leg have been supporting Harry Styles for last few Months.

The Hives headlined the second stage at Live at Leeds in the park this year (against TDCC on main). Absolutely phenomenal performance, and much more response back from the crowd than the AM support slot. They'd be awesome as sub-headline on main, or headline on t'other.

Wolf Alice would be amazing, always good live and works for younger end of the audience too. Fontaines too! Bastille have had half price tickets up in some places this year, so not sure how well they are selling. Charlatans are due another go at Tramlines for sure. 

A few more i'd like to see... Young Fathers, Warpaint, and Elvana, oh and Elbow, Franz Ferdinand... 

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Any whispers re Tramlines 2024 or the other Superstruct Festivals considering they book en mass.

Nothing yet other than Y Not are teasing on socials that they are working on next year's headlines.

Btw, Nick Banks of Pulp is doing a book tour this Autumn.

2 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

Keane just announced a tour celebrating 20 year anniversary of their debut album. No Sheffield date (not surprised, does anybody play Sheffield arena these days?), but is it just me or would they be a perfect Sunday headliner.  

Not for me... I never got how huge their appeal was, apart from one or two of their biggest hits.

Having seen Confidence Man last weekend, would love to see them headlining T'Other stage.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sheffinghell said:

Council have confirmed Tramlines is staying at Hillsborough Park for now. Apparently reviewed other sites. Hopefully the extreme weather was a one-off, but there'll be plenty of people complaining.

Saw there was a local businessman pushing to use Don Valley bowl and the footprint of Sheffield Arena.   Coincidently he also has a few businesses in that area that may benefit. 

Would imagine there will be more measures to protect the grass next year with use of the flooring they have at stadium gigs. 

11 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Saw there was a local businessman pushing to use Don Valley bowl and the footprint of Sheffield Arena.   Coincidently he also has a few businesses in that area that may benefit. 

Would imagine there will be more measures to protect the grass next year with use of the flooring they have at stadium gigs. 

Don Valley is nowhere near big enough for Tramlines. The RnR site was maybe 8k capacity, and very tight with VIP etc, only a small number of food outlets, and tent c. T'Other stage size, plus tiny outdoor stage. It felt overcrowded for Noel G, to the point of health and safety issues. 

They did have some flooring down, and had drilled the grass (not sure if that is the technical term!), so I'm sure we'll see more of that at Tramlines. The weather this year was unfortunately just very freaky. Nothing like that the following weekend at Y Not, even with a fair bit of rain, although not torrential for hours on end. What they should probably be looking at is many more walkways and ground prep, plus insurance cover to allow for cancellation/curtailment if the weather is ever that bad again.

Also, longer term the park seems like it needs a much better irrigation system for rain, with or without Tramlines.

• 1 month later...

Not really tramlines related, but does anybody know anything about this O2 Academy shutdown?

Saw on twitter the place has apparently been boarded up now, so getting very worried we're looking at a longterm closure, especially as events are being moved/canceled all over the place. 

The venue are offering zero updates and I've got a few gigs booked there in the months ahead so wondering if there's any chance it'll reopen soon or are we facing a really lengthy closure? 

4 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

Not really tramlines related, but does anybody know anything about this O2 Academy shutdown?

Saw on twitter the place has apparently been boarded up now, so getting very worried we're looking at a longterm closure, especially as events are being moved/canceled all over the place. 

The venue are offering zero updates and I've got a few gigs booked there in the months ahead so wondering if there's any chance it'll reopen soon or are we facing a really lengthy closure? 

https://www.academymusicgroup.com/o2academysheffield/temporary-closure

it’s really annoying because like you say they are making zero updates on it and if you hadn’t seen it or had a gig cancel you wouldn’t even know! I’m supposed to be seeing the streets next Saturday but there hasn’t been any updates. I can’t see it happening. I don’t think it’ll be open again for a while 

6 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

A few gigs listed on the website have been moved to other venues, I haven't seen anything on the socials to say this (though I might just not have looked hard enough), just on the website!

2 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

but the lack of communication is shocking.

Aye, the reason for the sudden closure is fair enough, but last update was September 28. Just leaving it to the bands/artists to confirm if stuff is being moved or canceled. That's not really on. 

You'd think at this point they have an idea if the place will reopen in a couple weeks or if it's going to be a lot longer as it's structural unsafe. And if they don't, at least say that's the case. 

If TFB on December 9 gets canceled after I've waited 5 and a half years for them to come back to the UK, I'll be gutted. Granted im going to several more dates on the UK tour but first night in Sheffield was ideal and going to be very special for personal reasons. 

Edited by thatTFBguy

On 10/17/2023 at 11:05 AM, thatTFBguy said:

Wonder if it might be RAAC related? If so, it might be a long-ish closure, depending on structural assessment.

Edited by sheffinghell

9 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Jamie Webster (plus Red Rum Club) moved to Octagon which is a bonus as Octagon is a far better and under used venue.

Must have sold well in that case. Charlatans have been moved there too. Octagon is the only venue in Sheffield that comes close in size for standing events. Will also depend on availability of venues and promoters willingness to compromise. Wouldn't be surprised to see Heaven 17 in there, although if it's close to sold out there might be a capacity issue.