Fitness for Glastonbury 2024

gigpusher

21 hours ago, Alvoram said:

So far I've lost 16lb but that was after a long period of self destruction, so it isn't really a loss....

16lb and such a great time hiking and camping is a win. Let's forget about losses.

Today I managed finally a 30 mn run without breaks post injury/summer heat so that's my win today.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Since feeling gross at Kendall Calling I've been doing lots of (responsible) wild camping and hiking as well as, more recently, watching the diet too.. Fallen in love with Dartmoor, and obviously spending lots of time up in the local Peak District too. 

So far I've lost 16lb but that was after a long period of self destruction, so it isn't really a loss....

Gonna get a bit cold (and windy) to be camping on top of hills soon though...  😕 

1859847804_IMG_4599(1).thumb.jpg.be4f9b013790d69d36aaadfbb4703721.jpg

IMG_1740.thumb.jpg.6bd15611dcd53afec97a1a4d977c4f4a.jpg

Seems like a win to me. You recognised unhealthy patterns and stopped them. Go easy on yourself. We're all just humans trying our best 🙂 

• Like 1

My latest weigh in and another 3lb's off so that's 54.8lb's or 24.8kg . Going pretty slowly which I suppose they say is the best way. I've had a couple of good non scale victories this month though. The Elton John hoodie I bought at Glastonbury that I could just about get to close is now fitting comfortably. My average steps for the year is up to 18,863 and I had to go into the loft last weekend to get some clothes the next size down as a lot of my clothes were getting too big.

Also the biggest one for me is that I've been having a fairly stressful time at work and busy time at home as I was doing some decorating and I have still kept cooking healthy meals every night and very rarely have I reached for any stress food and have still gone out for my evening walks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Heading into the seasons where getting exercise and going out and about becomes more challenging with the weather, dark evenings etc. I’ve looked out the walking boots, heavy socks, waterproofs and wooly hats. It’s not just physical fitness we have to keep working at but equally important is mental fitness. I find walking the best way to help both the physical and mental well-being. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Heading into the seasons where getting exercise and going out and about becomes more challenging with the weather, dark evenings etc. I’ve looked out the walking boots, heavy socks, waterproofs and wooly hats. It’s not just physical fitness we have to keep working at but equally important is mental fitness. I find walking the best way to help both the physical and mental well-being. 

Yep I find getting out for a walk can definitely turn around a bad day. Will be a shame when it's too dark to go on the slightly nicer walks around where I live but even just pounding the pavements is better than not doing it.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Absolutely. I've fallen into a winter rhythm of getting some decent waterproofs and downloading a decent new album so i can ear up, layer up and then get out for a couple of hours, and if it starts smashing down im still fairly snug and comfortable, and can jump straight in the shower when im back home. I do live near the south downs way so getting up on the hills and forests is pretty easy- i have some routes for when its rainy, some for when its windy, and on drier and less hideous days some that finish at train stations and bus routes so i can get back if it turns. I do think there's something great about getting absolutely soaked when its horrible out, and then getting dry and comfy afterwards, sat in the tired happy feeling with a pile of tea and toast, knowing you've got ten miles under your belt and its not even midday on a weekend morning; its a feeling i strive towards. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Absolutely. I've fallen into a winter rhythm of getting some decent waterproofs and downloading a decent new album so i can ear up, layer up and then get out for a couple of hours, and if it starts smashing down im still fairly snug and comfortable, and can jump straight in the shower when im back home. I do live near the south downs way so getting up on the hills and forests is pretty easy- i have some routes for when its rainy, some for when its windy, and on drier and less hideous days some that finish at train stations and bus routes so i can get back if it turns. I do think there's something great about getting absolutely soaked when its horrible out, and then getting dry and comfy afterwards, sat in the tired happy feeling with a pile of tea and toast, knowing you've got ten miles under your belt and its not even midday on a weekend morning; its a feeling i strive towards. 

The good news is our Summer has prepared us for any amount of rain already!! I actually find Winter rain easier to deal with as at least it's cold enough to be happy in the waterproofs.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, gigpusher said:

My latest weigh in and another 3lb's off so that's 54.8lb's or 24.8kg . Going pretty slowly which I suppose they say is the best way. I've had a couple of good non scale victories this month though. The Elton John hoodie I bought at Glastonbury that I could just about get to close is now fitting comfortably. My average steps for the year is up to 18,863 and I had to go into the loft last weekend to get some clothes the next size down as a lot of my clothes were getting too big.

Also the biggest one for me is that I've been having a fairly stressful time at work and busy time at home as I was doing some decorating and I have still kept cooking healthy meals every night and very rarely have I reached for any stress food and have still gone out for my evening walks.

Excellent work gigpusher.

The bit in bold that's the big one isn't it? Not reverting to the old habits. Had a few moments like that myself recently, but not fallen into my old ways.

Well I had the pleasure today of watching my GP change the little drop down box on my medical history from "diabetes" to "diabetes in remission". I already knew I was below the threshold from the NHS app but something extra satisfying seeing that officially change.

Edited by philipsteak
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Excellent work gigpusher.

The bit in bold that's the big one isn't it? Not reverting to the old habits. Had a few moments like that myself recently, but not taken into my old ways.

Well I had the pleasure today of watching my GP change the little drop down box on my medical history from "diabetes" to "diabetes in remission". I already knew I was before the threshold from the NHS app but something extra satisfying seeing that officially change.

Great work! 

Yep not saying I’ll never have a sh*t day and order a pizza again but closing in on a year of mostly consistent, healthy behaviour. 

• 3 weeks later...

3 runs in the last couple of weeks, first leg stretch since a brain op in aug, hard to imagine i ran london marathon a year ago, follow up mri this week, all good though, just glad the cyst was benign 

Edited by oneeye

53 minutes ago, sfroml said:

Thank you! At one point the app was predicting a 2hr 58min finish, which would have been crazy but tbh the last few miles were so hard, legs were totally gone at that point.

A cracking time all the same, you should be rightly well chuffed.  I know the feeling (or lack of) legs wise , I peaked 11 years ago with a 3 hrs 8 mins London Marathon PB, was chasing sub 3hrs, never quite got there (used to get in good for age), those days & times are now far behind me as I approach 60. However, on the plus side 60 will put me in to a different age category, so maybe one more Marathon in me, who knows 😄 

Hope I'm ok to post this. I ran the Brighton Marathon this April and was disappointed with Covid ruining my preparation so I've decided to run another.

I'll be running Manchester Marathon for Alzheimer's Society a week before my birthday next year, I would be over the moon if you could share my page and story about please.❤️

https://www.justgiving.com/page/gareth-leitch-1696877984251#updates

• Upvote 1

On 9/22/2023 at 6:58 PM, clarkete said:

I've been going the opposite direction.  

Eating cake and chips, doing less exercise. 

Perhaps I may shake myself from this malaise 🤔

me too, going out for a walk now though, and planning to get back on the healthy eating stuff too. I know I will feel better for it, its just getting motivated for me anyhow 😬

• Upvote 1

It's a bad state of affairs that I'm deciding on whether or not to go on a "get slightly fitter and more agile" regime depending on if I get Glasto tickets in 2 weeks.

I play football and badminton once a week but my weekly binge drink (obscene levels for 1-2 days), obsessions for Indian food and crisps, and the fact that my joints are ceasing up (30 years solid of football with zero warm down), mean I seriously need to sort myself out if I'm embarking on Glasto No.8 next year.

On 10/17/2023 at 4:59 PM, Kalopsia said:

Hope I'm ok to post this. I ran the Brighton Marathon this April and was disappointed with Covid ruining my preparation so I've decided to run another.

I'll be running Manchester Marathon for Alzheimer's Society a week before my birthday next year, I would be over the moon if you could share my page and story about please.❤️

https://www.justgiving.com/page/gareth-leitch-1696877984251#updates

Done. Best of luck with it. I'm based in Manchester as well so might even be able to come and cheer you on if you let me know what time you are expecting to finish it in nearer the time.

On 10/23/2023 at 9:53 AM, gigpusher said:

Done. Best of luck with it. I'm based in Manchester as well so might even be able to come and cheer you on if you let me know what time you are expecting to finish it in nearer the time.

Oh thank you so much! Also thanks to @moogster you're both very kind!

I'm training and aiming for 3hrs or below. So pushing it.

• Like 1

Ok End of October's weigh in was a pleasant surprise as I lost another 5.2lb's taking loss to date to 60lb dead or 27.2kg for those who prefer it in new money. Have been continuing to increase my average step count for the year as well. It's currently up to 19312.

Very happy with that as I've had a horrendous work month and an incredibly busy personal life for the last month.

• Upvote 3