Shambala Festival 2023

PIggywhiskers

On 8/10/2023 at 6:33 PM, Willy-wam-wam-wozzle said:

Anyone?? 😂

Aside from the headliners, Swingamajig usually has really fun stuff going on, town of cats on Saturday night are mint, but they’re clashing with Dutty moonshine.

I don’t know many other bands so I usually just bumble around 

12 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

Aside from the headliners, Swingamajig usually has really fun stuff going on, town of cats on Saturday night are mint, but they’re clashing with Dutty moonshine.

I don’t know many other bands so I usually just bumble around 

Cheers! I’ve heard of, but never listened to Town Of Cats, will check them out.

I’m guessing it’s gonna be a big bumble around weekend. Can’t wait!

On 8/4/2023 at 6:08 PM, Willy-wam-wam-wozzle said:

Anyone got any recommendations for acts to see this year?

So, what my reliable friend has said:

- On the main stage alone Congo natty obvs
- Dutty moonshine are great for a knees up, kinda swing/soul mixed with elements of bass music
- L'entourloop are sick reggae producers and have done songs with Alborosie, Kabaka Pyramid etc
- Soom T obvs sick
- Chali 2na from jurassic 5 is always a vibe too
- Dj Flight, Fabio and Grooverider, GQ and Frenetic for DnB
- Digital and conrad as well
- Dubbul O and Berry Blacc are hiphop from Manchester and done bits with Mouse Outfit and Levelz
- YT another sick reggae artist

Edited by PIggywhiskers

5 hours ago, PIggywhiskers said:

So, what my reliable friend has said:

- On the main stage alone Congo natty obvs
- Dutty moonshine are great for a knees up, kinda swing/soul mixed with elements of bass music
- L'entourloop are sick reggae producers and have done songs with Alborosie, Kabaka Pyramid etc
- Soom T obvs sick
- Chali 2na from jurassic 5 is always a vibe too
- Dj Flight, Fabio and Grooverider, GQ and Frenetic for DnB
- Digital and conrad as well
- Dubbul O and Berry Blacc are hiphop from Manchester and done bits with Mouse Outfit and Levelz

Lovely stuff, thanks!!

Theres a couple of decent sounding things there I’d heard of so will check them out! I missed that YT was on the line up as well!

10 hours ago, PIggywhiskers said:

i was introduced to YT by some Jamaican guys in my (now closed) local reggae shop, i think he's great on record but have never caught him live.

On 8/15/2023 at 9:52 PM, Willy-wam-wam-wozzle said:

Cheers! I’ve heard of, but never listened to Town Of Cats, will check them out.

I’m guessing it’s gonna be a big bumble around weekend. Can’t wait!

In the day time always worth check the out the shambolympics, winners get free tickets to next year so they all take it seriously. It’s like a school sports day, if all the events were dreamt up by someone incredibly high. Funny to watch families trying to compete with high as balls 30 year olds in things like the paddling pool high dive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old_Johno said:

In the day time always worth check the out the shambolympics, winners get free tickets to next year so they all take it seriously. It’s like a school sports day, if all the events were dreamt up by someone incredibly high. Funny to watch families trying to compete with high as balls 30 year olds in things like the paddling pool high dive. 

HA! That sounds like a right laugh. Will deffo try and check that out.

LOVE Shambala. Think we’ve been 8 times as a family but next year, thinking of going it alone. It’s sad but I have no likeminded friends into festivals (or even music) and wondered if there’s a platform for meeting other Shambalians who are also going it alone next year? Also would be amazing to meet like minded friends who are local to Market Harborough (the closest town to the festival). I live here but never met anyone who’s even heard of Shambala let alone open to attending. Am mid 40s and would be so good to meet other people on a similar wavelength to hang out now and then :)

Anyone know what the resell situation is through ticketsellers? Noticed you can change the details on the ticket....

Friend can't make it and not sure I fancy it solo, gutted as it's one I have wanted to go to for ages!

Edited by joeltg

So many people complaining on Facebook and Instagram that they haven’t been able to buy parking passes this year, despite increasing the amount of public transport tickets. Have they genuinely sold the same amount? 3 out of our group of 20 didn’t buy one (which is their own fault I guess). 

Going to be carnage on the roads trying to turn everyone away from the car parks when the nearest proper town is 10 miles away. 

1 hour ago, Old_Johno said:

So many people complaining on Facebook and Instagram that they haven’t been able to buy parking passes this year, despite increasing the amount of public transport tickets. Have they genuinely sold the same amount? 3 out of our group of 20 didn’t buy one (which is their own fault I guess). 

Going to be carnage on the roads trying to turn everyone away from the car parks when the nearest proper town is 10 miles away. 

It isn't looking good for just turning up for a ticket on the day.

Don't forget to print passes! Luckily reminded my friend who was still in the office today to print one off.

51 minutes ago, PIggywhiskers said:

It isn't looking good for just turning up for a ticket on the day.

Don't forget to print passes! Luckily reminded my friend who was still in the office today to print one off.

Had to join the local library to print off your car park pass, Boomtown did an ANPR system which seemed to work pretty well, wonder if they will ditch the paper passes next year.

On 8/11/2023 at 10:23 PM, Willy-wam-wam-wozzle said:

Good shout. I’m hoping to catch Grove they they are playing a couple of sets? Not really sure what to expect, but reckon it’ll be good!

Absolutely fantastic set on the Shambala Stage by Grove.

On 8/23/2023 at 11:11 AM, Old_Johno said:

Had to join the local library to print off your car park pass, Boomtown did an ANPR system which seemed to work pretty well, wonder if they will ditch the paper passes next year.

WTF

Boomtown get worse by the year, which is a pity as it "so my music", but they do far too many dodgy things for me to attend.

Absolutely smashed it, barring the crush to get into house party on Friday night when they stupidly decided not to open the door until 5 minutes before A.Skillz was on, had a genuine moment of panic in the crowd and I’m tall enough to see what’s going on! Must have been a few thousand people trying to get through one tiny door.

Shambolympics was amazing as always, so much fun in all the tiny venues, even had time to do some yoga and Salsa! 

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

WTF

Boomtown get worse by the year, which is a pity as it "so my music", but they do far too many dodgy things for me to attend.

Also this is double encrypted so Boomtown don’t actually get your number plate info, it just checks it against a list of scrambled number plates that are in its system as paid, and makes it a lot quicker. 

• Upvote 1

I had a long absence from Shambala until last year. I enjoyed it then much more than Glastonbury.... Thought that it must be a fluke, an anomaly. 

After this year I realised that it wasn't. 

I've been to a few festivals over the years and can honestly say that Shambala is the perfect model to show how it should be done. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Was lost for words after my first Shambala....you lot really are beautiful!

A truly special space in every aspect and shows exactly how it should be done..

So diverse and creative and we met so many lovely people. 

No litter, everyone packing up their tents, great food, and wonderful memories!

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, joeltg said:

A truly special space in every aspect and shows exactly how it should be done..

Round about 12 years ago I was on the verge of giving up on Festivals, I'd had enough of the nonsense.

I was persuaded to try Shambala. It took about half a day for me to think "wow there are still some folks out there who know how to run a festival" and some who know how to be at a festival.

On 8/20/2023 at 3:02 PM, Lornalovesshambala said:

LOVE Shambala. Think we’ve been 8 times as a family but next year, thinking of going it alone. It’s sad but I have no likeminded friends into festivals (or even music) and wondered if there’s a platform for meeting other Shambalians who are also going it alone next year? Also would be amazing to meet like minded friends who are local to Market Harborough (the closest town to the festival). I live here but never met anyone who’s even heard of Shambala let alone open to attending. Am mid 40s and would be so good to meet other people on a similar wavelength to hang out now and then 🙂

I go alone to festivals, but have started volunteering with Oxfam. That way you camp with alot of other solo people and get to meet people on your shifts etc. Message me if you want 😊😊

Outstanding festival! Still a bit tender from it, but sign of a good time.

Favourite acts I saw were the PussyLiquor's at Squatters Tights on Thursday midnight, so much energy. Enjoyed DJ Flight on the Saturday night, can't remember where she played. Then a North African band Sunday night, but sadly can't remember the name or the place they played.

Grumble would be Congo Natty, was a bit slow for a Sunday night, energy was already at a low, they were late as well, music had to be cutoff. Luckily the African band tied off the weekend nicely.

Loved the crowd, everyone seemed super friendly and chill. The whole thing really reminded me of the Big Chill festival, but I think I  went to the last year in 2011, but I loved that festival.

I can't really fault it much, only small things like toilet roll seemed to have run out pretty much everywhere by Sunday afternoon. Overall, lovely festival, lovely people, great vibes and something always going on. The size was great too. I think myself and the 15 others I was with will likely come back next year.