Cash and or Card

celticvillan

6 minutes ago, celticvillan said:

Are there cash points on site? Do they charge a stupid amount to withdraw?

There are, not sure what the fee is these days but it used to be the standard you'd pay elsewhere. There also used to be a Nat West up the top of Big Ground which had free withdrawals but that's now gone (I realise this is of no use to you 😄).

7 hours ago, ChimpyJ said:

From a traders point of view. My view. 
Cash is a a bit of a pita. Have to think about a float all the time. Which we have to pay for. We don’t always have our menu items rounded to a pound or 50p, so that makes it worse for a change situation. 
We then have to bank it at some point, either during the festival, we really don’t want cash sitting about, or after, which means time trying to find somewhere to bank it. 
Then we have to think about forged notes. Meaning we scan every single note we get through our note checking machine. 
Card is very much my preference, it’s quick and the money is in the bank the next day available for me to use. 
We use a 4G router with an EE sim and not once lost connection, that’s with all my team connected to it also. 
Changed to VF for this year. 
Last year SumUp went down on the Saturday afternoon for about 3 hours, we just switched to Zettle and carried on. 
Obviously we are very happy to take cash, we’d never go card only.

And as an aside, percentage wise , we took more cash in 22 than in 19. 

I prefer taking card at my business too. People seem to think cash helps, and costs us less, and that sentiment is kind and thoughtful, so it's difficult to correct people, but cash really is harder, and costs us more to process. It's also, as you point out, less secure. 

Thankfully we're over 90% card now, so very little cash lying around, we don't bank it, we use it to pay smaller COD suppliers, which helps. But if we took much more in cash and had to bank it we'd be paying petrol, parking, counter fees and have a higher chance of losing out to forgery. 

16 hours ago, Barneym said:

There is, one set are free (someone else will tell you where as I never remember) the rest are just like normal pay for cash points, just checked my statement and it was £2.75 last year, I just hate the principle of paying to take out my own cash, although probably less so at a festival. There is a set by the bottom the Silver Hayes 

There's also some opposite the toilets at the back of West Holts.