Summer Solstice 2023 (Weds June 21st)

GJAJ2K

Hey all,

First post!  And only second time heading to Glastonbury, but been reading this forum religiously over the past months! 🙂 

Don't know how regular an occurence this is, but as has obviously been noted elsewhere, the summer solstice actually falls on the festival Wednesday this year.

I was just wondering if anyone knew if there will be any special events, happenings etc because of this? Anything at stone circle? Something at sunset? 

Apologies if there's already been a thread, failed to find anything on this specifically with the search.

Thanks!

G

18 minutes ago, GJAJ2K said:

Hey all,

First post!  And only second time heading to Glastonbury, but been reading this forum religiously over the past months! 🙂 

Don't know how regular an occurence this is, but as has obviously been noted elsewhere, the summer solstice actually falls on the festival Wednesday this year.

I was just wondering if anyone knew if there will be any special events, happenings etc because of this? Anything at stone circle? Something at sunset? 

Apologies if there's already been a thread, failed to find anything on this specifically with the search.

Thanks!

G

Well... there won't be anything because it's the solstice specifically, but Wednesday evening at sunset always sees quite a big gathering at the stone circle and above the park anyway, and there's fireworks too. 

Hello! If you happen to be in the area and fancy welcoming in the solstice dawn, then I’d recommend popping up Glastonbury Tor, just down the road. Really lovely atmosphere. 🌅 or just take it in from the queue, as I’ll be doing with a drop of mead!  

2 hours ago, GJAJ2K said:

Hey all,

Thanks!

G

Climb the Tor for sunrise then head for the festival! Well, maybe a bit much! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies all!

Good point about Glastonbury Tor, but may indeed be a bit much to work in as well 🙂 

But sounds like some stuff on at Woodsies if we are in early enough on the Weds, if not we'll just get involved with the usual activities around stone circle/above the park in the evening I guess 👍

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Climb the Tor for sunrise then head for the festival! Well, maybe a bit much! 

Did this one year, 99 or maybe 2000. Stayed in a hostel in Glastonbury on the Tuesday night and climbed the tor for sunrise. It wasn't a solstice that year though. Then we had breakfast and hopped on a bus to the festival 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, MrHew said:

Did this one year, 99 or maybe 2000. Stayed in a hostel in Glastonbury on the Tuesday night and climbed the tor for sunrise. It wasn't a solstice that year though. Then we had breakfast and hopped on a bus to the festival 

We’ll be in the town for a few days pre festival so will climb the Tor but not for the Wednesday morning sunrise! 

• 2 weeks later...

Clashfinder has "Starting Point for Solstice Procession" listed under Crow's Nest starting 1930 Wednesday...  is this anything more than just everyone going uphill to see the bonfires and fireworks?  I realise there were Solstice events earlier in the afternoon... wondered what else is going on in the evening.... thanks...

6 hours ago, Chinakat said:

Clashfinder has "Starting Point for Solstice Procession" listed under Crow's Nest starting 1930 Wednesday...  is this anything more than just everyone going uphill to see the bonfires and fireworks?  I realise there were Solstice events earlier in the afternoon... wondered what else is going on in the evening.... thanks...

730 seems pretty early for the bonfire but there is usually some sort of procession isn’t there?

Last year it was on the tuesday, so I got up at 4AM (!) drove a few miles to the headland near me, then walked a mile to get some pics:

image.thumb.png.d0152da6212b398c0191198e504c4b9c.png

then I went back home, had a few more hours kip, then up again at about 10am, then left for the festival 😄

Edited by paulshane
  • Like 1