williams green ... carhenge

Crazyfool01

7 hours ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Which fence was your favourite? The big metal one or the smaller one inside the big metal one?

Stonehenge isn't even the best tourist site I've been to if I narrow it down exclusively to stone circles, I'd have to give that to the one on Lewis

I used to work at the youth hostel in Salisbury and I'd say 90% of tourists were there for Stonehenge (except Russians, they were obsessed with the cathedral for some reason) and I'd say a majority were a bit disappointed with the whole thing. If they had time id tell them to go to Avebury. Generally people enjoyed that more.

I was kind of underwhelmed by it. Although I haven't been since the new visitor centre and stuff.

Would love to go to Lewis.

3 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I think it looks great. Had no idea they were going to do a like for like construction. Hard to tell where these performers are gonna be tho.

What's the rabbit statue on the right?

In amongst it I’d imagine … with some amazing lighting think it will look superb 

On 6/9/2023 at 10:54 AM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Yeah, and I totally get that losing one of your personal faves is a shitter. Like I said to someone else, it's like losing all the big international acts at the top of West Holts because the festival deemed the outlay for them wasn't effective for such a limited crowd. So, no more Big Boi, Jonaelle Monae, Cee Lo Green, the Jacksons, Q-Tip on WH.

At least there will be some kind of music on at CarHenge too though. It might not be the kinda music you like, it's not a one to one replacement, but there will still be plenty of indie/rock for you to enjoy I hope dotted around the place 🤞

Yeah, they just book big international acts in the middle of the day now, like TLC and Lizzo. 

14 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Yeah, they just book big international acts in the middle of the day now, like TLC and Lizzo. 

TLC are about as big as the Sugarbabes, nowhere near the size of any of the artists I mentioned and would never headline West Holts. They're international, but big? No.

Lizzo too was very much at the start of her career. Think WH got lucky with that one because she'd only released Juice in January 2019, 5 months before she played, and it blew up. Again, she wasn't gonna headline WH at that time.

Now she is a big established star, where do they put her? Subbing Pyramid.

4 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

TLC are about as big as the Sugarbabes, nowhere near the size of any of the artists I mentioned and would never headline West Holts. They're international, but big? No.

Lizzo too was very much at the start of her career. Think WH got lucky with that one because she'd only released Juice in January 2019, 5 months before she played, and it blew up. Again, she wasn't gonna headline WH at that time.

Now she is a big established star, where do they put her? Subbing Pyramid.

Haha the TLC crowd was dangerous and probably the biggest that field has ever seen. They are the definition of a big international act. I mean how current exactly are the Jacksons? I think you probably need to see at least one festival go by when they don’t book some big international acts before declaring something has happened that actually hasn’t. 

Edited by Jose Pose

1 minute ago, Jose Pose said:

Haha the TLC crowd was dangerous and probably the biggest that field has ever seen. They are the definition of a big international act. I mean how current exactly are the Jacksons? I think you probably need to see at least one festival go by when they don’t book some big international acts before declaring something has happened that actually hasn’t. 

I'm not saying there weren't a lot of ppl reliving their 90s childhood at TLC?

But they're no way as big as any of the acts I just mentioned. 

There's been a few fests and the WH headliners are of a diff stature to the past.

5 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I'm not saying there weren't a lot of ppl reliving their 90s childhood at TLC?

But they're no way as big as any of the acts I just mentioned. 

There's been a few fests and the WH headliners are of a diff stature to the past.

Wutan Clan and Janelle Monae literally headlined it the festival before last 

Edited by Jose Pose

3 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I used to work at the youth hostel in Salisbury and I'd say 90% of tourists were there for Stonehenge (except Russians, they were obsessed with the cathedral for some reason) and I'd say a majority were a bit disappointed with the whole thing. If they had time id tell them to go to Avebury. Generally people enjoyed that more.

I was kind of underwhelmed by it. Although I haven't been since the new visitor centre and stuff.

Would love to go to Lewis.

Avebury is great as it’s more “open” and less touristy. Standard visiting Stonehenge via the visitor centre is ok but you can’t really get up close to the stones properly. Best time I had was when they did a special arts fire installation in 2012 for the Olympics and you could just wander round - it was really cool.

IMG_0320.jpeg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Considering Stonehenge is thousands of years old and had many stages, all the mystery of how it was built etc, I find it fascinating.

To have one of the world's greatest ancient wonders in the UK is amazing.

Oh, it's fascinating.

Just the experience of visiting it is a bit underwhelming

• Upvote 1