6 Music Festival 2023

7 hours ago, clarkete said:

I'm surprised people aren't a bit more attuned to the difficult financial situation at the beeb - given they're killing off one of their news channels,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62161868

they're making cutbacks even of very popular programmes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/complaint/autumnwatch2023

They're squeezing presenter salaries and they're also squeezing budgets, including 6music itself - hence why more presenters and shows than ever are in Salford. 

I've seen plenty of folks online bleating about the big show the beeb put on for Glastonbury and I'm sure theres huge cost pressure for the 6music festival - either trim it or don't have one, so tbh anything they do to support artists (especially those up and coming ones) and venues is better than nowt. 

Aye, it's a smart call for them. I guess I'd just assumed a few may drop prices to come on-board. Not expecting a Depeche Mode-level booking every year, it must be said!

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

The artists barely get paid as it is for the 6music festival (lower artists do it for "exposure", the higher ones do it for production costs and playlist placement), I'd rather they just scrapped it than have a half arsed one. It doesn't add anything to the station itself.

No coincidence That Loyle Carner, Arlo Parks and Christine and The Queens have all been artists in residence in recent months.

Tbh the 6 music festival doesn't do anything for me.  I guess if it was on my doorstep then I might consider it, but not worth going out of the way for.

3 hours ago, jannybruck said:

The artists barely get paid as it is for the 6music festival (lower artists do it for "exposure", the higher ones do it for production costs and playlist placement), I'd rather they just scrapped it than have a half arsed one. It doesn't add anything to the station itself.

I feel the opposite - anything they can do to support live music in such challenging times, especially if it involves artist exposure or supporting venues is more than welcome. 

Not sure how you can think it doesn't add anything to the station - given they use the live music for content every year. 

13 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Interesting as that's my favourite, but I can understand why it might not be someones

I've seen some terrific gigs there and some poor ones. It's bizarre, as the very similarly structured Hammersmith Apollo - now Eventim Apollo? - is probably my favourite in London.

• 2 weeks later...