Metal at Glastonbury 2023

jonday81

58 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Interesting take.

I've never had Bob Vylan down as a metal band.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Vylan

In the wider sense of metal being anything loud, challenging, raucous etc etc - not in an interminable guitar solos/hairspray way! It was Earache records that booked em, they definitely tweeted that beforehand. Their influence might be small, but its definitely there in the SE corner (thankfully)

27 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Speaking of Dub War, if there's ever a band that has the crossover appeal of Download and Glastonbury, it's Skindred. Great band, loads of fun, super charismatic and engaging frontman, could slot in nicely on any of the main stages or tucked in the naughty corner one night. Make it so, Eavis.

Out of upvotes but 100% agree. Metal and Reggae make entertaining bedfellows that would go down a treat

23 minutes ago, becca_ said:

Not a clue if they fall under metal but do we think BMTH will appear? Big gap here and they're notably missing the first 3 dates of the fall out boy tour. 

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 10.32.58.png

Can’t see them turning up again, but then I was surprised they were there the first two times. Think they’ve probably grown a bit too big now what with them finally headlining Reading/Leeds and now Download so I doubt they’d settle for the mid-Other slot the festival would undoubtedly offer them again.

That is a bizarre gap for BMTH to have.

Have to concur that, having headlined R+L - albeit as the junior headliner - I'd struggle to see them accepting what is likely to be a mid-stage slot somewhere at Glastonbury. The only workaround I could mull is if they were to sub the Pyramid or top the Other. (They could be very strong counter-programming.)

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

I don't know much about them but I get the impression they would consider doing it for the prestige. They know it would be a huge booking for Glastonbury if they played like 3rd down Pyramid or headlined Other. Could always couple it with their own shows for the money.  If Metallica were happy with Other headline to tick the festival off, and Aerosmith were coming over for a secret set, it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility.

Yeah the only reason I think Slipknot might one day is that Corey's up for a laugh, anything that will gets peoples' backs up. I'm almost positive they selected Die Antwoord to sub them at Download because he knew it would piss people off and he loves it. People whinging about noisy metal at Glasto might do the same

1 hour ago, Metal Monkey said:

Tool have to play again one year. I missed them last time as I was watching the Spin Doctors instead, if they don't play again I'll never get over this awful mistake. 

Veeeery different band in 1994. Same reason they never went back to Reading + Leeds. They wouldn't (and shouldn't) take less than a pyramid head at this stage and that'll never happen in a million years, far too niche. Even at Download 2019, 1/3 of that festival was primarily there for Tool and the other 2/3 had never heard of them.

41 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

They wouldn't (and shouldn't) take less than a pyramid head at this stage and that'll never happen in a million years, far too niche.

Nail on the head.  Their live show is spectacular and had me captivated for most of the set but even a proper festival friendly set would bore the bollocks off a lot of casual music fans in places

2 hours ago, Metal Monkey said:

Tool have to play again one year. I missed them last time as I was watching the Spin Doctors instead, if they don't play again I'll never get over this awful mistake. 

Alexa, show me the concept of a mistake in the most 90s fashion possible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

In all fairness, slim down that BMTH set they've been playing to a dozen songs for an hour, and it could play well as a Pyramid sub-headliner set.

Zero chance BMTH are getting booked to sub the Pyramid. Maybe they could headline Other one year (like we all thought they were gonna do in 2016) but a bit too Kerrang! for the Pyramid. 

I remember seeing a Glastonbury interview with BMTH last time they played and they responded to a question with something along the lines of 'Yeah, we're well happy to have worked so hard over the last few years, to come back here and play the exact same slot...' so I can't see them coming back unless they're offered something big - I agree that the festival probably won't offer them what they want!

I agree that Skindred & Sleeptoken would go down a storm. Maybe not metal, but I can see Don Broco going down well too! A few years since Enter Shikari have appeared I think, maybe they will show up again with new music?

Agree on Skindred being a great addition somewhere.  There's not much that I'd miss that for to be honest.

Going back to Maiden for a second, the Powerslave tour was my first ever gig at age 13.  Still probably my favourite Maiden album too.  Think they'd do a great show at Glasto, but for various reasons I can't see it ever happening.

10 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Agree on Skindred being a great addition somewhere.  There's not much that I'd miss that for to be honest.

Going back to Maiden for a second, the Powerslave tour was my first ever gig at age 13.  Still probably my favourite Maiden album too.  Think they'd do a great show at Glasto, but for various reasons I can't see it ever happening.

Ditto this. There was a moment Maiden would have been a very credible headliner - arguably in 2018, had there not been a fallow year - but for a multitude of reasons, you'd never get them atop the bill.

In all fairness, you'd never want to book 'em on one of their modern album runs. Take the upcoming Days of Future Past Tour. Chat there you'll have five off Senjutsu, five off Somewhere in Time and five others. 

That would go down like a sack of potatoes at Glastonbury.

Just now, NorthernSoul52 said:

Ditto this. There was a moment Maiden would have been a very credible headliner - arguably in 2018, had there not been a fallow year - but for a multitude of reasons, you'd never get them atop the bill.

In all fairness, you'd never want to book 'em on one of their modern album runs. Take the upcoming Days of Future Past Tour. Chat there you'll have five off Senjutsu, five off Somewhere in Time and five others. 

That would go down like a sack of potatoes at Glastonbury.

Pyramid Stage is set for Alexander The Great

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Pyramid Stage is set for Alexander The Great

Is this finally the year they play Alexander the Great? The floor is opened to discussions.

My - fairly retro leaning - variation on Legacy of the Beast a few pages back is probably as close as you'd get to a hits-only affair at Glastonbury. But I'm all for a show at any festival Maiden play where they just wig out on the prog bangers.

Edit: completely missed the festival in Norway and in Germany, so just ignore my five minutes of enthusiasm.

Just noticed that Gojira have a gap in the European tour between June 20th (Spain) and June 27th (Estonia). Can hardly get more Glasto-shaped than that. Sure, they played there in 2019 too, but:

a) their ideas match with Glasto’s

b) they released an album since then, which takes aim at the crisis in the Amazon (see a)

c) they supported GnR a few years ago. Not sure if that counts for anything.

d) they’re one of the best metal bands around at the moment

e) They did not release Pablo Honey.

Long story short, they’re not coming, but the idea of this being possible got me excited. I did not have tickets in 2019, so I’d love to make up for that.

Edited by Robinn
completely missed the festival in Norway and in Germany, so just ignore my five minutes of enthusiasm.