Accessible campsite moving to wicket (maybe)

dotdash79

This is a nightmare... I've seen people in chairs struggling to get back to spring ground but now they have to go all the way back to gate A basically.. 

At least with spring it was just a bit of a way to the pyramid stage. 

They will probably just add spring and Hitchin hill together as family... But as someone who uses spring ground I can't see a good reason to change it.. There was still enough space last year.. The ONLY reason I can think of is wicked ground is flatter.. But as I have said. Its a lonnnggg way at the moment end of the day and I can see a lot of people being pissed off by this... 

4 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

This is a nightmare... I've seen people in chairs struggling to get back to spring ground but now they have to go all the way back to gate A basically.. 

At least with spring it was just a bit of a way to the pyramid stage. 

They will probably just add spring and Hitchin hill together as family... But as someone who uses spring ground I can't see a good reason to change it.. There was still enough space last year.. The ONLY reason I can think of is wicked ground is flatter.. But as I have said. Its a lonnnggg way at the moment end of the day and I can see a lot of people being pissed off by this... 

For a few years we camped at Lime Kiln next to wicket and it always looked ideal for families, close to food and with security. Hitchin is a bit of a slope. I can see why wicket is considered better for accessibility.   Reckon with a family there will be a rush to get to cockmill meadow. Wonder if there is anyway it can be extended, probably not looking at the map, 

I had friends staying in Accessible Camping this year. They run a bus service to ferry campers and their gear from the car parks/pedestrian gate to the campsite. The bus had a huge wait, I wonder if this move has anything to do with providing a quicker service or maybe it's to reduce the distance those in accessible camping have to lug all their gear if they don't want to wait an age for the bus?

Looking at the site map, wouldn't somewhere like Darble make a better spot for Family Camping? It's nearer to both the Bus Station and Ped Gate A so less distance to lug kit? 

Edited by Johnnyseven

37 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

The bus had a huge wait, I wonder if this move has anything to do with providing a quicker service or maybe it's to reduce the distance those in accessible camping have to lug all their gear if they don't want to wait an age for the bus?

My guess is that it's maybe in a small part that, and maybe also partly that it helps with vehicle access for those that need to drive onto site - this way they can bring traffic in through Gate 5 and it's very easy to direct them into Wicket.

Potentially they could even go further than that by creating a dedicated Gate directly into the field itself so that people could drive directly in and out without getting caught up in other on-site traffic, and if they wanted to really go all out they could pair that with a dedicated Car Park right on the other side of the fence (currently a small but movable Staff campsite) and really cut down on the distance people need to lug stuff.

4 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

There is no maybe about it, here is the 2023 Accessible Application form page, the Accessible Camp Site is in Wicket Ground this year ....... 

Screenshot 2023-01-05 15.02.15.png

Interesting site isn’t saying wicket any more

just Noticed you said the accessibility application form and not the site  

40E69208-DDE9-4FBF-903E-B1600B8EB8D3.png

Edited by dotdash79
More info

4 hours ago, incident said:

Potentially they could even go further than that by creating a dedicated Gate directly into the field itself so that people could drive directly in and out without getting caught up in other on-site traffic, and if they wanted to really go all out they could pair that with a dedicated Car Park right on the other side of the fence (currently a small but movable Staff campsite) and really cut down on the distance people need to lug stuff.

This would be a great move, having worked in the Spring Ground check in marquee last year (and pitched our caravan in Spring Ground) I saw for myself how long the queues were for the shuttle. It would also ease things for live in vans and those with permission to drive into the accessible campsite to unload. 

Back to E21 Accessible overspill for me this year, I prefer that side of the festival. 

Spring ground is ideal for another glamping spot.. I'll be pissed off if they do this.... 

Does anyone know just how many glamping sites are in and around glasto nowadays.. 

Would be interesting to know.