2023 line up thread

Guy Incognito

Would have liked to have seen Young Fathers and The Walkmen at eotr but other than that and a few interesting left field ones then although I’m seeing a lot of names I like they are also mostly names I’ve seen at eotr in previous years.

think the Green Man line up is more eyecatching but a little but “ghost of eotr past” in places and  I’ve found a lot to love on the EOTR undercard since the announcement was made.

like most folk I’m hoping for a few more 2nd/3rd tier acts announced soon to bulk up that part of the line up. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dogleg said:

Greenman much stronger. More varied, better acts all round. I think it's in a different league to EOTR which seems to be intent on relegating itself with tepid bookings. 

"More varied" is an odd choice of words. I like the lineup but it is as safe as you can get. As already discussed here, the eotr lineup is blurring boundaries in a way which aligns it not only with the usual folk/indie festivals but also closer to something like supersonic festival or rewire with experimental rap,  electronica, noise, composition...You may not like it but "tepid" it ain't.

Edited by noisenoiseandmorenoise

5 hours ago, Dogleg said:

Greenman much stronger. More varied, better acts all round. I think it's in a different league to EOTR which seems to be intent on relegating itself with tepid bookings. 

Totally agree , greenman is actually cheaper as well . I'm not going down the end of road giving more variety.  Them acts are costing sod all . If end of road was £180 fair enought but it isn't. 

12 minutes ago, blurman said:

Totally agree , greenman is actually cheaper as well . I'm not going down the end of road giving more variety.  Them acts are costing sod all . If end of road was £180 fair enought but it isn't. 

No, even for a thread in which someone has seemingly suggested Simon and co are deliberately running the festival down, this has tipped over into straight-up making stuff up to further a specious argument now. Every 2023 Green Man tier - a festival, remember, that is two thirds bigger in capacity and has had financial support from the Welsh Government to the extent of buying them extra, supposedly environmentally protected land on top, that EOTR even comes within distance of working on a level playing field is remarkable - is more expensive. And imports, which the very much vast majority of the acts we're discussing are, cost "sod all", are they? Of course, Australians and Africans are ten a penny, especially with the current exchange rates and visa situation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

No, even for a thread in which someone has seemingly suggested Simon and co are deliberately running the festival down, this has tipped over into straight-up making stuff up to further a specious argument now. Every 2023 Green Man tier - a festival, remember, that is two thirds bigger in capacity and has had financial support from the Welsh Government to the extent of buying them extra, supposedly environmentally protected land on top, that EOTR even comes within distance of working on a level playing field is remarkable - is more expensive. And imports, which the very much vast majority of the acts we're discussing are, cost "sod all", are they? Of course, Australians and Africans are ten a penny, especially with the current exchange rates and visa situation.

Greenman hasn't been given money. A new sight was bought which looks like isn't even gonna be used.  What's size gotta to do with it . Look at connect festival,  look at bearded theory both smaller and way more expensive bands.  Is it a given that end of road won't get bands playing connect or greenman ? Boy genius and Beth orton wouod be nice . Sorry I'm not backing down the line up is terrible lacking middle level bands . I've been doing festivals for 30 years and this is probably the worst value money I've ever seen.  And its showing hardly likes into double figures on sm. Don't be supprissed if this festival gets cancelled with lack of ticket sales . I very much doubt it's on purpose the guys probably just overestimated his taste . Maybe the next instalment of bands will make up for it . I've not got a problem with headliners it's the gap between them and the rest .

49 minutes ago, blurman said:

greenman is actually cheaper as well 

As @SweepingTheNation has pointed out, this is just not true. And by quite some distance.

I bought tickets for both this year, since I had to get GM tickets for someone else. EotR was £190; GM was £235.

Don't know if I'm comparing exactly like-for-like in respect of tiers, but in both cases they were the first tickets I could get hold of having been online as they first went on sale.

18 minutes ago, Yoss said:

As @SweepingTheNation has pointed out, this is just not true. And by quite some distance.

I bought tickets for both this year, since I had to get GM tickets for someone else. EotR was £190; GM was £235.

Don't know if I'm comparing exactly like-for-like in respect of tiers, but in both cases they were the first tickets I could get hold of having been online as they first went on sale.

That was early bird tier price for EOTR; Green Man's was £205, though they went within literal minutes. And Green Man are obviously making a lot more out of selling all tickets than EOTR while knowing that even before the pandemic they usually sold out much quicker (in 2018 and 2019 EOTR sold out in July/August, Green Man in May despite keeping most of the sales back until the end of January)

2 hours ago, Yoss said:

Nope that was early bird , greenman doesn't do early bird end of road is 245 60 deposit and 185 . That's without parking . I should know as I've paid the 60 quid and its 185 if want to pay the rest 

Edited by blurman

I honestly don't see why anyone can stick up for the price of this festival and absolutely dire line up . I can only wish I could go to greenman at least your getting a decent line up . So you certainly can compare them as they cost the same price . Look at connect in Scotland 169 far better line again as is bearded theory . Last time I take advice saying this festival the best lol. It's easily the worst line up bar far . But your OK you have a playlist so you can hear these unknown bands 

5 minutes ago, blurman said:

I honestly don't see why anyone can stick up for the price of this festival and absolutely dire line up . I can only wish I could go to greenman at least your getting a decent line up . So you certainly can compare them as they cost the same price . Look at connect in Scotland 169 far better line again as is bearded theory . Last time I take advice saying this festival the best lol. It's easily the worst line up bar far . But your OK you have a playlist so you can hear these unknown bands 

Have you been to Eotr before ?

20 minutes ago, wolfamongwolves said:

Have you been to Eotr before ?

Nope but looked at past line ups and they were all ace . This year is just really poor , it's not just me saying it . I'm allowed to be annoyed I've basically lost 60 quid as I'm not paying another 185 on top to go . People reselling will be lucky to get 150 . I imagine the atmosphere would be nice , I used to go to latitude before it lost its way . Think a lot that used to go there go to end of road now . Sorry I'm been so negative but I'm really annoyed by the line up . Whoever picked them and thought it was worth 245 quid is taking advantage of past line ups . Future islands are basically living in UK this summer so won't have cost much . Where has the money been spent 😕 

Edited by blurman

EOTR line up is more varied, interesting and deep than the GM line up in my option. GM line up is really solid but features a lot of acts that do the rounds/gig and festival circuits regularly. I think anyone who has attended EOTR over the last couple years will have seen lots of the highlights from the GM line up (Jockstrap, Gilla Band, Sudan Archives, Spiritualized, Alabaster Deplume, Yasmin Williams, James Holden, Deathcrash). Not sure many of the better booking (in my eyes) on this year's EOTR line up have played GM or many other UK festivals recently though. 

EOTR has more interesting stuff such as Yeule, Dungen, Mabe Fratti, Oren Ambarchi, Moin, Nina Nastasia, Big Brave, They Hate Change, Horse Lords, Infinity Knives and Brian Ennals, Avalanche Kaito and Julia Reidy. 

Edit: Green Man top lines are clearly better. I would have liked Young Fathers and Devo at EOTR but I think overall the EOTR line up is more rewarding but definitely more low-key. 

Edited by Guy Incognito
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, blurman said:

Nope but looked at past line ups and they were all ace . This year is just really poor , it's not just me saying it . I'm allowed to be annoyed I've basically lost 60 quid as I'm not paying another 185 on top to go . People reselling will be lucky to get 150 . I imagine the atmosphere would be nice , I used to go to latitude before it lost its way . Think a lot that used to go there go to end of road now . Sorry I'm been so negative but I'm really annoyed by the line up . Whoever picked them and thought it was worth 245 quid is taking advantage of past line ups . Future islands are basically living in UK this summer so won't have cost much . Where has the money been spent 😕 

It's a beautiful festival.  Visually stunning. The garden stage is one of the finest place to see a band. Some of the past line- ups have been incredible. 

Personally I'm not overly keen rhis year. Headliners all played before. Definetly lacking something in the middle just below headliners, hopefully that will be sorted with the second announcement.  

But there are gems to be found in the line up . Some really interesting forward thinking artists 

Edited by wolfamongwolves

21 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

EOTR line up is more varied, interesting and deep than the GM line up in my option. GM line up is really solid but features a lot of acts that do the rounds/gig and festival circuits regularly. I think anyone who has attended EOTR over the last couple years will have seen lots of the highlights from the GM line up (Jockstrap, Gilla Band, Sudan Archives, Spiritualized, Alabaster Deplume, Yasmin Williams, James Holden, Deathcrash). Not sure many of the better booking (in my eyes) on this year's EOTR line up have played GM or many other UK festivals recently though. 

EOTR has more interesting stuff such as Yeule, Dungen, Mabe Fratti, Oren Ambarchi, Moin, Nina Nastasia, Big Brave, They Hate Change, Horse Lords, Infinity Knives and Brian Ennals, Avalanche Kaito and Julia Reidy. 

Edit: Green Man top lines are clearly better. I would have liked Young Fathers and Devo at EOTR but I think overall the EOTR line up is more rewarding but definitely more low-key. 

EOTR has more interesting stuff such as Yeule, Dungen, Mabe Fratti, Oren Ambarchi, Moin, Nina Nastasia, Big Brave, They Hate Change, Horse Lords, Infinity Knives and Brian Ennals, Avalanche Kaito and Julia Reidy. 

you missed Divide And Dissolve, Arooj Aftab 

10 minutes ago, wolfamongwolves said:

It's a beautiful festival.  Visually stunning. The garden stage is one of the finest place to see a band. Some of the past line- ups have been incredible. 

Personally I'm not overly keen rhis year. Headliners all played before. Definetly lacking something in the middle just below headliners, hopefully that will be sorted with the second announcement.  

But there are gems to be found in the line up . Some really interesting forward thinking artists 

I don't doubt it's beautiful latitude used to be . When do they release the second announcement? Hopefully before June as I can't pay 185 on top of 60 on the strength of a play list which might be good but as you say it's lacking its certainly not worth 245 . I'd like to see Angel Olsen and King gizzard but not paying 245 just for them 2. 

I can see where some people are coming from in terms of cost of acts, but to say the Greenman Line up is miles better is all about personal opinion. Personally, I saw Spiritualized in 2019 at EOTR so I’m happier with Unknown Mortal Orchestra. I think First Aid Kit are a bit boring, so I’m happier with Future Islands, although I understand the claim that FAK are probably a bigger act. Wilco are like an EOTR houseband so can see why people are a little jealous that greenman got Devo, and I think headliner wise that is a real get for them. We’ve also got King Gizzard and the lizard wizard which although divisive  are clearly big enough to headline.  

In terms of mid acts, we’ve also got Angel Olsen who was down to headline the festival outright a couple of years ago, Ezra Furman (again maybe familiarity has bred contempt but a great booking.) Greentea Peng, Yeule, Biig Pig, all good bookings showcasing the diversity at this festival. I was hoping as much as anyone that EOTR would get Walkmen, so that’s a bit gutting, and I would also take slowdive, The Delgados and Young Father. 

I think it’s always dangerous to compare with past line ups. My initial reaction to EOTR line ups is always the same. I will love or really like one or two of the headliners. I will have heard of the the other two and garden stage headliners and going gives me an excuse to dive into their work. I will be worried about how I’m going to spend my day as I know little of the undercard, but by the time the festival comes around I will have found some of my new favourite acts. My first year was 2019 and this happened with BCNR, Georgia, Stella Donnelly, Ohtis, and Fontaines DC. When it comes to the next years announcement I will be hoping for these acts to return and will inevitably be jealous when they get announced for Greenman. EOTR will then release their line up and the process will start again. I trust EOTR and having listened to the playlist this year I’m more than happy. 

Do I think that the festival is trying to save money? Sure, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. EOTR is sold on a weekend only basis and it really is about the whole experience of the weekend. Last year must have been a tough year for them, still rolling over tickets from 2020, and having budgeted and sold out of tickets in February for a show in September, I doubt they could have accurately budgeted for the steep rise in cost of everything in that time. Last year the big complaints were that people felt corners had been cut in terms of staffing and facilities. If they’ve saved a little bit of money on the line up in order to make sure that it’s the best EOTR experience possible, than I’m happy with that, as it really is one of the best festivals in the uk. The fact that as an independent festival in an increasingly crowded and corporate festival landscape they are able to pull this off is amazing in itself. No one has been conned out of a ticket, the first year I went I waited for the line up before purchasing my ticket, now I buy early bird as I know I will have a great time no matter the line up. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Excellent response. My first eotr having been to GM for the last 12 years and I am more than happy.

Some of the negativity on here and FB, about putting a statement out and where has all the money gone is quite frankly embarrassing.

What is one mans piss is another mans wine.

The other thing about "saving money", apart from being unprovable, probably disingenuous to what Simon and co want people to get from their life's work and obviously "OK, then what are they saving it for?", is that the same accusation was thrown by a few people at last year's line-up, and I know of plenty of people who were envious of how great that bill was. In the eye of the beholder and all that.

Christ, going by last year it's going to be another month of this until just the second announcement.

As I've said previously, people have got to let go of other people not being happy with the line up. If you think you'll enjoy it, good for you, but telling other people they're wrong cos they're not as interesting as you is a road to a lot of boring circular discussions

• Like 1