Resale Club 2023

Jack.194

30 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

The perseverance bit however that is done - physical queueing, long sell out times due to server overload, secret resales etc definitely favours people that do really want to go more than the luck element.  

And some of the people that persevere feel that they are more entitled to a ticket to those that don't (or can't)

12 hours ago, incident said:

It wasn't that they hadn't updated their systems - they did implement SCA hence the Coach Sale a few days earlier went through broadly ok - it's that in the main sale with a higher transaction rate the systems failed to cope with the extra load that the new processes generated and so a lot of things went wrong with them including them not triggering. It's also thought that to try and mitigate this, they did try turning off SCA at one point which some banks had more of a problem with than others.

I got tickets in the main sale, at about the time people were reporting the payment systems going down, and didn't have to authorise the purchase on my banking app, so I think the turning off the SCA thing may be correct

Edited by Jon F

Maybe they should look at doing something to prevent people not even going to the festival trying to buy tickets? That might involve having to log-in to your 'glastonbury account' to access the sale and perhaps even having to link your account to those in your group of 6 before you can buy tickets for them.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Lubic87 said:

having to link your account to those in your group of 6 before you can buy tickets for them.

I actually think that's a brilliant idea.

My biggest annoyance is that the sheer strength of numbers available online for people totally unconnected makes our group of mates that varies from 8-14 most years pale in comparison.

Maybe a limit of 12 linked accounts or something and you can update it every year, would cancel out bots and massive buying groups (they seem popular on here but personally I hate them)

27 minutes ago, Lubic87 said:

Maybe they should look at doing something to prevent people not even going to the festival trying to buy tickets? That might involve having to log-in to your 'glastonbury account' to access the sale and perhaps even having to link your account to those in your group of 6 before you can buy tickets for them.

You could go as far to say you needed to be logged into your glastonbury account and your pot of 6 gets allocated an unique code...once that unique code is entered then it auto purchases for all 6 people on an already saved debit/credit card, saves having to type in reg numbers and postcodes etc.

5 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

Someone who tries hard at something usually deserves better at it than someone who doesn't try at all. 

From my perspective the only reason the sales currently (prior to last week) last as long as they do as peoples payments fail and others are there waiting to take the tickets when they get released back in the pot.

So who 'deserves' it more, the person who got through but the payment failed (not their fault) or someone else who didn't get through but by pressing F5 at the right time then sweeps up the released tickets.

Either way someone is going to miss out, and as the event could sell 10x over these days there's a lot of disappointed people. 

6 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

From my perspective the only reason the sales currently (prior to last week) last as long as they do as peoples payments fail and others are there waiting to take the tickets when they get released back in the pot.

So who 'deserves' it more, the person who got through but the payment failed (not their fault) or someone else who didn't get through but by pressing F5 at the right time then sweeps up the released tickets.

Either way someone is going to miss out, and as the event could sell 10x over these days there's a lot of disappointed people. 

Oh yeah, I totally agree - nobody deserves to miss out on a payment fail. I've no complaints about the new system even though I didn't manage to get a ticket. As you say there will be disappointed people whatever happens.

I only got mine for last year in the resale after 'all tickets have been allocated', though my payment had been hanging for 10 minutes or so with me unable to approve it on the Lloyds app. 

16 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

Oh yeah, I totally agree - nobody deserves to miss out on a payment fail. I've no complaints about the new system even though I didn't manage to get a ticket. As you say there will be disappointed people whatever happens.

I only got mine for last year in the resale after 'all tickets have been allocated', though my payment had been hanging for 10 minutes or so with me unable to approve it on the Lloyds app. 

I got a ticket last week in the coach resale, I'm treating it this year as the last one as I think its going to be a lot more difficult getting tickets going forward. 

The simple maths is there is a lot more people wanting to go than they can let people in, whatever the system people will be upset or claim that it is unfair, ultimately for GFL as long as they sell the tickets with no hiccups over payments etc then its a success whoever gets through the gates. 

1 hour ago, Chip Batch said:

Someone who tries hard at something usually deserves better at it than someone who doesn't try at all. 

But how are you defining trying hard? A person with only one mate helping them and has no the idea of eFestivals, and the like, or access to a spreadsheet, or someone who has no idea what an auto refresh app is, still deserves to go as much as anyone else.

They're still hammering F5 like their lives depend on it because they still want to really go.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lubic87 said:

Like it.  Presumably Netflix (hear me out) have figured out how to stop more than one person being logged in.  £10-30 (figure the right amount out later) per year for your Glastonbury account, most of that going to charity once they've covered costs to set it up - and then figure out what needs to be done on the morning of the sale, but you're only taking part if your logged into your account and you're only trying on behalf of yourself or associated group.  

That would properly test out whether there are actually millions of people interested in going each year, or whether it's just many people trying for a smaller number of people.  Having seen the charity ticket auctions and raffle generate £100k and £1m I can't see why people wouldn't be happy to pay a smaller amount to have a chance of getting a ticket.  Back to Netflix, maybe your Glastonbury account includes access to any footage they're able to control after it's had a month on iPlayer...

All went insane when they started booking mainstream commercial pop acts as headliners and it opened it up to a whole demographic who would've never before considered a festival, let alone Glastonbury,

That and the BBC coverage and I guess social media culture

Edited by Field Commander Jefferson
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Field Commander Jefferson said:

All went insane when they started booking mainstream commercial pop acts as headliners and it opened it up to a whole demographic who would've never before considered a festival, let alone Glastonbury,

That and the BBC coverage and I guess social media culture

Mainstream commercial pop acts have been appearing since the early 80's e.g. Simply Red and The Boomtown Rats.

The thing that "broke" it was when TV coverage started.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Mainstream commercial pop acts have been appearing since the early 80's e.g. Simply Red and The Boomtown Rats.

Did the Boomtown Rats have the same sort of worldwide appeal as Beyonce, Jay-Z, Ed Sheeran etc?

9 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Like it.  Presumably Netflix (hear me out) have figured out how to stop more than one person being logged in.  £10-30 (figure the right amount out later) per year for your Glastonbury account, most of that going to charity once they've covered costs to set it up - and then figure out what needs to be done on the morning of the sale, but you're only taking part if your logged into your account and you're only trying on behalf of yourself or associated group.  

That would properly test out whether there are actually millions of people interested in going each year, or whether it's just many people trying for a smaller number of people.  Having seen the charity ticket auctions and raffle generate £100k and £1m I can't see why people wouldn't be happy to pay a smaller amount to have a chance of getting a ticket.  Back to Netflix, maybe your Glastonbury account includes access to any footage they're able to control after it's had a month on iPlayer...

I do like that idea and I would be willing to pay that fee. It would also stop people going on several browsers/devices and help the system run more smoothly on the day. I would also like to see them implement a code like some other booking sites do whereby if you press F5 you automatically go to the back of the queue again. Most of the crashes are from people persistently pressing F5, but that is understandable given some people suggest it improves your chances (still lack of clarity whether that be the case or not but if there was someway of explaining before the sale that it would actually cause you to lose your place, no one would do it and the website wouldn't crash).

6 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

yeah  agree, a combination of things. I wouldn't put the boomtown rats in the same kind of massive demographic shifter category as beyonce and jay z though tbh

Some very good potential suggestions here, but crucially See will love this new format. Tickets selling in record time, fewer complaints about payments failing etc.

Unfortunately they are not going to spend any time and/or money developing a ‘fairer’ system for the customers - quite frankly they don’t give a stuff about that side of things as long as they generate their booking fees. 

Edited by st dan

Just now, st dan said:

Good good potential suggestions here, but crucially See will love this new format. Tickets selling in record time, fewer complaints about payments failing etc.

Unfortunately they are not going to spend any time and/or money developing a fairly system for the customers - quite frankly they don’t give a stuff about that side of things as long as they generate their booking fees. 

See created a massively bespoke system with registration numbers for Glasto that they don’t do for anyone else, all to get around touting. It’s not unlikely they will further amend that system in the coming years if Glasto ask/pay for it.

6 minutes ago, t0paz said:

See created a massively bespoke system with registration numbers for Glasto that they don’t do for anyone else, all to get around touting. It’s not unlikely they will further amend that system in the coming years if Glasto ask/pay for it.

Fair point, but the new system is still ‘fair’ in the sense that touts still can’t swipe up all the tickets to sell for profit. So any amendments aren’t required for such a radical reason as that. 
I think the only two realistic options going forward are that they either keep this new system (payment not required at the time of booking), or go back to the previous one of paying at the point of booking. There seems to be little in it for anybody (except the customers who missed out) to deviate from either of these working methods. 

Edited by st dan

8 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

but then GFL were told they couldn't have it anymore unless major changes were made after the problems in 2000.

Which completely had to happen to avoid what happened at Roskilde one week after Glasto 2000.