Banned!

tarw

1 minute ago, stuie said:

A member for 4 years, paid for gold membership, over 6K posts and he's a troll?

compaining but not providing details is useless, and might as well be a trolling post.

Just now, Neil said:

its restored, people bneed to be more careful about what they request, if someone requests deletion, thats likely to happen.

No-one can access it but you. 

You're laying blame at us for to help you moderate but surely by getting help you'll be able to do things more effectively Rather than accidently deleting threads especially on announcement day. 

People need to be careful. Yeah lame the blame at us as a collective when it's one person reporting not the majority in a thread. 

3 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

No-one can access it but you. 

try again now.

3 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

You're laying blame at us for to help you moderate but surely by getting help you'll be able to do things more effectively Rather than accidently deleting threads especially on announcement day. 

People need to be careful. 

they also need to use their own edit function (their brain) rather than expecting me to be their editor.

Just now, Neil said:

try again now.

they also need to use their own edit function (their brain) rather than expecting me to be their editor.

But you do this a lot when it comes to reports of a bad post. I think the default needs to be post deletion not thread deletion or some sort of metric that after x number of pages it should be post not thread deletion. 

1 minute ago, Muppetmark said:

But you do this a lot when it comes to reports of a bad post. I think the default needs to be post deletion not thread deletion or some sort of metric that after x number of pages it should be post not thread deletion. 

i'm a busy chap with a damaged brain, sometimes i'll get thing wrong. users can help rhemselves with that too.

Just now, Muppetmark said:

I think the default needs to be post deletion not thread deletion or some sort of metric that after x number of pages it should be post not thread deletion. 

I don't know what the post in question said, but unless it was something truly awful I don't get why people can't just ignore posts they don't like. Does everything we don't agree with really need to be reported/deleted? Moving on and forgetting about it would save a lot of time and energy for all concerned.

Ok so quite a lot of helpful suggestions reading back through @Neil do you think any of them might ease the pressure on you somewhat ? Things are obviously not quite so easy now for you after the Stoke … still an amazing website and 99.9 % would be sad if it wasn’t here … are you able to target more accurately the IPs in question ? 

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

Ok so quite a lot of helpful suggestions reading back through @Neil do you think any of them might ease the pressure on you somewhat ? Things are obviously not quite so easy now for you after the Stoke … still an amazing website and 99.9 % would be sad if it wasn’t here … are you able to target more accurately the IPs in question ? 

They might ease the pressure on me, but that's not the problem,he problem is the trolls, diluting the info about trolls won't help deal with the trolls?

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

They might ease the pressure on me, but that's not the problem,he problem is the trolls, diluting the info about trolls won't help deal with the trolls?

Ok so is there a way of targeting them more specifically? Rather than some other users getting caught up in it ? 

3 hours ago, Neil said:

why does my job have anything to do with others here who say my successful business of 20 years is down to them. who else has people come into their work to tell them they'd be shit without them.

I run a pub... I know this pain very well!!!

Usually they're clueless idiots who have no idea how a pub works. For example, I had a run in with one chap recently saying we needed to have more than 3 real ales on mid week, in a country pub... He was going on and on about it for weeks until I snapped and gave him a lesson in how to look after real ale, and once he realised it was a choice during quieter times between quality, well kept ales or having more options, but them being on the bar so long the quality degrades, he soon stopped. 

Every now and then though, somebody suggests something that makes sense, and I have to reassess how I do things to keep moving forward. This is when customer feedback proves to be really useful. 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Ok so is there a way of targeting them more specifically? Rather than some other users getting caught up in it ? 

Don't you think I've tried other ways before arriving at this way. This way works the way you're suggesting didn't.

25 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

I don't know what the post in question said, but unless it was something truly awful I don't get why people can't just ignore posts they don't like. Does everything we don't agree with really need to be reported/deleted? Moving on and forgetting about it would save a lot of time and energy for all concerned.

It's been a running theme for quite a while. When I didn't know better I was reporting spam but threads were being deleted. Requiring the whole site user base to know not to report is counter-intuitive and a lot of new users won't know better

2 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I run a pub... I know this pain very well!!!

Usually they're clueless idiots who have no idea how a pub works. For example, I had a run in with one chap recently saying we needed to have more than 3 real ales on mid week, in a country pub... He was going on and on about it for weeks until I snapped and gave him a lesson in how to look after real ale, and once he realised it was a choice during quieter times between quality, well kept ales or having more options, but them being on the bar so long the quality degrades, he soon stopped. 

Every now and then though, somebody suggests something that makes sense, and I have to reassess how I do things to keep moving forward. This is when customer feedback proves to be really useful. 

That sort of customer feedback is all about them,it's not about trying to run your pub better.

2 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

It's been a running theme for quite a while. When I didn't know better I was reporting spam but threads were being deleted. Requiring the whole site user base to know not to report is counter-intuitive and a lot of new users won't know better

People report posts for all sorts of reasons,often with a specific request for deletion.so gets deleted.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

Don't you think I've tried other ways before arriving at this way. This way works the way you're suggesting didn't.

No … you have far better knowledge than me .., I’m not armed with the info you are and the knowledge you have of running this website I’m trying to understand it better … so you can be happier / healthier and so users aren’t caught up unnecessarily if that were at all possible 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

No … you have far better knowledge than me .., I’m not armed with the info you are and the knowledge you have of running this website I’m trying to understand it better … so you can be happier / healthier and so users aren’t caught up unnecessarily if that were at all possible 

The deliberate actions of the trolls make it not be possible.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

That sort of customer feedback is all about them,it's not about trying to run your pub better.

Yep, the first sort is. 

But we do get some really good feedback and ideas from customers from time to time too. It was a customer who, 8 years ago, first suggested we run a Christmas market (they even helped us plan the first one back then.) That event has now grown so much that it is one of the biggest Christmas events in the surrounding area, taking over the pub, the local farm and the entire village, attracting thousands upon thousands. 

It was a customer that suggested, way before the first lockdown happened and every other business jumped on the band wagon, that we could do takeaways if we were eventually forced to close. This gave us a 2 week head start, getting set up in preparation for the first lockdown, and it meant that we were literally ready to go the second Boris gave that speech. Immediately the online ordering system I'd set up in advance was pinging orders through! We owe our survival to that! 

Ultimately what I'm trying to say is, that in 90% of cases you're absolutely right, customers think they know better but really haven't got a clue. But not always, sometimes it pays to listen to the sensible ones. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alvoram said:

Yep, the first sort is. 

But we do get some really good feedback and ideas from customers from time to time too. It was a customer who, 8 years ago, first suggested we run a Christmas market (they even helped us plan the first one back then.) That event has now grown so much that it is one of the biggest Christmas events in the surrounding area, taking over the pub, the local farm and the entire village, attracting thousands upon thousands. 

It was a customer that suggested, way before the first lockdown happened and every other business jumped on the band wagon, that we could do takeaways if we were eventually forced to close. This gave us a 2 week head start, getting set up in preparation for the first lockdown, and it meant that we were literally ready to go the second Boris gave that speech. Immediately the online ordering system I'd set up in advance was pinging orders through! We owe our survival to that! 

Ultimately what I'm trying to say is, that in 90% of cases you're absolutely right, customers think they know better but really haven't got a clue. But not always, sometimes it pays to listen to the sensible ones. 

I've not seen anything sensible here. Just some peeps  seeing an opportunity to pile in.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

I've not seen anything sensible here. Just some peeps  seeing an opportunity to pile in.

There might be some but actually I’d say a majority here want efests to thrive and your health not to get worse … most love the community you have created and that’s why some passion is being shown when people have lost some access to a website and a community they enjoy being a part of ? On the troll yesterday … that’s a vpn that lets them avoid the ban that you’ve put on isn’t it ? 

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

Out of interest, you do know that you have the power to setup moderators however you'd like don't you? 

They don't need to be given full admin rights / access. If all you want them to be able to do is delete individual posts / threads, and literally nothing else, you can set them up with only those permissions. 

I say this because I get the sense that one of your concerns is that they could do damage if relationships sour for example, so just wanted to make sure you know that invision gives you the power to decide what permissions they get as mods. 

1 minute ago, Alvoram said:

Out of interest, you do know that you have the power to setup moderators however you'd like don't you? 

They don't need to be given full admin rights / access. If all you want them to be able to do is delete individual posts / threads, and literally nothing else, you can set them up with only those permissions. 

I say this because I get the sense that one of your concerns is that they could do damage if relationships sour for example, so just wanted to make sure you know that invision gives you the power to decide what permissions they get as mods. 

Do you know if it’s possible to set that up so mods could temporarily delete stuff … and then neil have overall control  as to wether to reinstate the posts / threads should he wish 

18 minutes ago, Neil said:

People report posts for all sorts of reasons,often with a specific request for deletion.so gets deleted.

The problem is the trolls will read this and start reporting innocent threads knowing you're not looking at them in any detail before deleting. 

I do appreciate the problem you're facing and the reality is there really isn't much anyone can do about a sustained effort by a bunch of individuals with an axe to grind, despite the amount of people that seem to think they know the solution.

But the vast majority of people in here are on your side in this (even if they don't really understand it) and it'd probably help to go into these conversations assuming good faith, rather than them being trolls. That way you keep people more on side.

11 minutes ago, Neil said:

I don't think that is the intention Neil, certainly not why I commented sorry if you felt that way.

Been coming on here since 2014, usually as a bit of a lurker, but would be a real shame for it to go because of some dick heads, genuinely just thought moderators might ease your responsibility a bit.