Rock Am Ring 2023

Archi

3 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Do you camp? Is the camp any cleaner in the last few years, I've been there in 2016 and that's mainly the reason I didn't want to go back. It was really disgusting by the 3rd day and I've camped all around Europe.

I hate that stupid drinking game with a ball and a can of beer in the middle of two groups. 

Camping experience is pretty much the same, although it felt a bit subdued in 22 vs. pre-covid. But I am always staying in the hotel, location is just perfect and logistics is very easy for that. Did camping in 2006 and went for the hotel since 🙂

1 minute ago, Archi said:

All the hotels nearby I check are already all expensive as f*ck... Like minimum 300€ a night! Damn.

The festival area is next to the Exhibition ground and football stadium, with the tube and train station, bus stops and tons of taxis available. You can stay pretty much anywhere in the city, super easy to get around

21 minutes ago, Aech2ElectricBoogaloo said:

Does anyone know when this usually sells out and if I'm better off going rock am ring or rock im park from the UK? 

April/May, if it gets sold out (varies between years). RaR gets usually sells out sooner.

RaR vs RiP is easy
- RaR is camping only festival, at the race track -> more parties + set times are shifted by ±2hrs, curfew ±3am. 
- RiP is a city festival, with curfew ±1am (midnight for open air stages)

Program is the same, just shifted by days, same as Reading/Leeds or Hurricane/Southside.

edit: from the UK, I would say RiP is easier as you have a direct flight (or used to be). RaR requires traveling by car.

Edited by Ferda
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cirez said:

was it confirmed those will be the only european gigs for Foo Fighters this year?

Official statement from the festival: "It's an event: The Foo Fighters will play exclusively at Rock am Ring and Rock im Park! The two festival appearances are the only European headline shows of the US multi-platinum rock band in 2023." 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Archi said:

You can buy tickets (combi) with a 30% discount on Eventim... never saw that. Is it possible to finally is not selling well with this line-up?!

I was shocked as well. Line-up is one of the best in ages, including Toten Hosen for locals (DE act sell generally better), but such a move indicates weak sales...

Day tickets were usually available a couple of months before the festival, it's a bit strange they are not on sale yet. Price was a bit below 100EUR if I am not mistaken

• 2 months later...

Anyone been watching the coverage? Thought yesterday was better. Fever 333 looked decent, Yungblud got the crowd going very well, Limp Bizkit looked decent, everyone was loving Rise Against and Foos looked immense.

Papa Roach looked excellent tonight and Tenacious D were a laugh. KOL played a good setlist but the crowd were very flat like the band, can see them falling down lineups soon. 

Might have to make the trip next year, who we thinking for headliners and other acts? Avenged Sevenfold have to be a stick on. 

Leaving my first Rock Im Park now. 

Pros: great lineup to my tastes (still wonder how did it sell worse than many previous editions), many special guest appearances (the one I didn’t think I need but also the one I liked the most was Yungblud singing Break Stuff with Limp Bizkit), easy train / subway / bus connections (stayed in Fürth, different city, and yet managed to be back after festival day in an hour). Highlight of the festival: Tenacious D, were one of my bucket list bands to see live. BMTH definitely should be main stage headliners next time  

Cons: no floor coverage near the second stage at all, so when the mosh pit starts (and they started at every show and were HUGE) whole area becomes a big dustbowl. So if you are far from the stage you just barely can see it, and if you are close get ready to cough for the next few days. Food was quite pricey (still tasty).

Can recommend the festival after all, but only if its lineup is your thing. They probably will need really strong first bandwave for 2024 to sell early birds, considering this year you could buy discounted tickets even cheaper. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, P.bintein said:

I think it's a week later for a specific headliner. But who. Maybe RHCP who will play a really few festivals next year (Funkyard, Eject festival). 

No Metallica because they're playing in Helsinki. 

I don't see RHCP coming 3 Summers in a row. They usually do 2 Summers in a row. I guess they'll do an arena tour somewhere... hopefully.

For 2024, maybe Rage Against The Machine + System Of A Down + a rock or German band?

On 6/5/2023 at 11:13 PM, Archi said:

I don't see RHCP coming 3 Summers in a row. They usually do 2 Summers in a row. I guess they'll do an arena tour somewhere... hopefully.

For 2024, maybe Rage Against The Machine + System Of A Down + a rock or German band?

But they need big headliner, this year there was more people on friday with Foo Fighters and next year there're will be not a lot of big act on tour for festival. It's the reason why I think RHCP is possible. 

Gren day already played in 2022 (I think they'll play Hu&Su Festival). 

I don't think Soad and RATM will ever tour again. 

Maybe Blink 182 and a Big German band. 

Wild theory I’m going to throw out there is that it could be a German Act, SOAD and RATM next year with Avenged Sevenfold, QOTSA  and Thirty Seconds To Mars headlining second due to the fest being a week later than usual so won’t be clashing with Primavera and Download: Looks like Download will change dates on the back of this so I’d imagine it’s RATM. I think Rock Am Ring may have changed dates as RATM may also already be booked for Primavera which is usually the same weekend at Rock Am further explaining the change in dates for Rock Am and possibly Download. I also think Rock Am Ring/Im Park will get SOAD therefore being the same weekend Download/Rock Am would be a pain for scheduling reasons. Wild speculation of course and could be debunked by the time Download announces dates Monday and they’re the same as Rock Am Ring but possible. 

6 hours ago, foolee said:

Wild theory I’m going to throw out there is that it could be a German Act, SOAD and RATM next year with Avenged Sevenfold, QOTSA  and Thirty Seconds To Mars headlining second due to the fest being a week later than usual so won’t be clashing with Primavera and Download: Looks like Download will change dates on the back of this so I’d imagine it’s RATM. I think Rock Am Ring may have changed dates as RATM may also already be booked for Primavera which is usually the same weekend at Rock Am further explaining the change in dates for Rock Am and possibly Download. I also think Rock Am Ring/Im Park will get SOAD therefore being the same weekend Download/Rock Am would be a pain for scheduling reasons. Wild speculation of course and could be debunked by the time Download announces dates Monday and they’re the same as Rock Am Ring but possible. 

But Tom Morello said a few weeks they'll don't talk to reunite again https://www.nme.com/news/music/tom-morello-rage-against-the-machine-not-discussed-playing-cancelled-shows-3422217