Finsbury Park 2023

gfa

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

I feel like an identical recreation of the last attempt at this one in 2020 might have been out of budget and price range, given some of the names they had along.

yeah true - names like phoebe have grown significantly since

1 hour ago, gfa said:

yeah true - names like phoebe have grown significantly since

Setting aside the rumour she's doing Boygenius rather than her own stuff in 2023, Phoebe was 3rd down on a Rolling Stones bill opening for them and War on Drugs. Which is certainly a different change of pace to being 5th down and playing before Clairo and Pale Waves as was originally planned judging by the 2020 '75 FP poster.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Was said up in the chat that this is a thing at Finsbury tbf.

I believe both AM 2014 and QOTSA 2018 ended at 10:30 (or near enough), so would've said that had this not been mentioned.

yep 10:30 fri/sat, 9:30 sunday

someone definitely said matt healy would straight up refuse a half 9 curfew lol

There was definitely something on the Ticketmaster website about a 9:30pm curfew for The 1975.

Think it said music started at midday too, so could wager a few timings off that.

1915-2130: The 1975
1745-1830: Cigarettes After Sex
1630-1715: Bleachers
1515-1600: The Japanese House
1400-1445: Unspecified Artist
1300-1330: Unspecified Artist
1200-1230: Unspecified Artist

And then you'd have American Football and a couple of others trading off sets on a second stage, probably.

2 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Effectively in line with this then - and while Fender is definitely on the way to exceeding their draw, if not already past it, a couple of quid is absolutely not a poor leap up the price charts.

at the time he was far smaller though i'd say

9 minutes ago, gfa said:

at the time he was far smaller though i'd say

When did Fender really step up a level? Saw him on that first sellout arena run in late 2021, and would have pegged him as capable of selling out a St James' Park hometown show then. Wouldn't have thought he'd dispatch two though until Glastonbury last year, when it became apparent to me his ascent was going north fast.

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

When did Fender really step up a level? Saw him on that first sellout arena run in late 2021, and would have pegged him as capable of selling out a St James' Park hometown show then. Wouldn't have thought he'd dispatch two though until Glastonbury last year, when it became apparent to me his ascent was going north fast.

Selling out St James' park once in his hometown is quite different to managing to do Finsbury i'd say

He's grown quickly and at a steady pace - far smaller is maybe not the word but 1975 had at that time headlined reading once whereas fender was doing smaller slots that summer i guess. neither are small by any means

9 hours ago, gfa said:

Selling out St James' park once in his hometown is quite different to managing to do Finsbury i'd say

He's grown quickly and at a steady pace - far smaller is maybe not the word but 1975 had at that time headlined reading once whereas fender was doing smaller slots that summer i guess. neither are small by any means

Fender is in an odd spot where, for a period last summer, he felt like the hottest rock act in the business - and that was even with slots supporting The Killers carrying over for gigs too.

Assume, given his health issues, that R+L will mark the end of the Seventeen Going Under cycle and he'll return with a third album under his belt in late 2024. Hope he hasn't dropped off, since he's got plenty of tunes calibrated to be heard with the biggest possible crowd. (Certainly can thank the Springsteen influence for that.)

Tbf to The 1975, they've always maintained lower ticket prices - we paid less for Finsbury Park tickets than we did for their O2 headline show in January, by about £10. It's something Matty's spoken about endlessly, and good to see them sticking to. 

If it is a 9:30pm curfew, I'd imagine they'll be on at 7pm. Get the BFIAFL done during the light hours, then the hits during the dark - I'd imagine they'll have some extra surprises/set list etc compared to the arena show, so would imagine them wanting 2.5 hours, again slightly longer than the set at the O2. 

1 hour ago, NWUYC said:

Tbf to The 1975, they've always maintained lower ticket prices - we paid less for Finsbury Park tickets than we did for their O2 headline show in January, by about £10. It's something Matty's spoken about endlessly, and good to see them sticking to. 

If it is a 9:30pm curfew, I'd imagine they'll be on at 7pm. Get the BFIAFL done during the light hours, then the hits during the dark - I'd imagine they'll have some extra surprises/set list etc compared to the arena show, so would imagine them wanting 2.5 hours, again slightly longer than the set at the O2. 

Even at their own biggest headline show, would be shocked if it seriously breached the two-hour mark. Still very curious to see if it does the whole production sticks around for it.

16 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Even at their own biggest headline show, would be shocked if it seriously breached the two-hour mark. Still very curious to see if it does the whole production sticks around for it.

From start to finish at the O2, which admittedly included Taylor Swift playing two songs in the middle, they went on at 8:30 and we were outside the O2 at 11pm after leaving during the last song, so was just under 2.5 hours - would be really really shocked if they didn't play for 2+ hours.