2024 Festival

Chad888

12 minutes ago, kjvffm said:

It’s like 4.5 hours til we get the poster and thread has spiralled into how much profit Ghostbusters made… Efests never change 😂

It's what keeps me coming back, alongside the constant battle of is 'X' big enough to headline😂

3 minutes ago, stanh said:

It's what keeps me coming back, alongside the constant battle of is 'X' big enough to headline😂

Is Fred Again big enough to headline though?

Shame it’s so hard to revisit these conversations down the line and see on what side of the fence people sat!

I imagine all of our huts and misses are about equal!

Pretty sure they’ll be a message somewhere laughing at the proposition of Gallagher headlining circa 2018, as he racks up his second slot since…

11 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

https://youtu.be/dluPzbAloMU?si=9MDa6HhQ7d0LTT0L

Catching up on this thread ahead of tonight and all I can think of is Samantic’s “Pop Song” which largely parodies everything that’s been said here

Ngl this would be a much better parody if it was actually a banger pop track

Instead it just sounds bitter and jealous

Edited by CapnOrange
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Benj said:

Is Fred Again big enough to headline though?

A man pressing buttons on his computer - no ...

But heck, i'll say I am wrong because the days on tier-4 and now costing basically 200

Edited by Chad888

4 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

A man pressing buttons on his computer - no ...

But heck, i'll say I am wrong because the days on tier-4 and now costing basically 200

Lol because all those people are going just to watch a man pressing buttons on his computer

Obviously not, people are going because the music speaks to them, are you seriously making the 'but they don't play a proper instrument on stage' argument in 2024

Edited by CapnOrange

12 minutes ago, Benj said:

Shame it’s so hard to revisit these conversations down the line and see on what side of the fence people sat!

I imagine all of our huts and misses are about equal!

I'm still happy that I was pretty much a one-man army after Dan told us Yungblud was headlining 3 years ago, after the initial meltdown, people convinced themselves he could, and then everyone fervently argued that he was big enough to headline, and would be one of the biggest to headline. Then when he wasn't announced, normality returned.

10 minutes ago, CapnOrange said:

Ngl this would be a much better parody if it was actually a banger pop track

Instead it just sounds bitter and jealous

I agree with this; I just saw him opening for Frank Turner about 5 years ago now and my lasting memory of that gig is every time someone mentions formulas in music this track comes screaming back to me like a 'Nam flashback

8 minutes ago, CapnOrange said:

Lol because all those people are going just to watch a man pressing buttons on his computer

Obviously not, people are going because the music speaks to them, are you seriously making the 'but they don't play a proper instrument on stage' argument in 2024

I don't get what the year has to do with it?

Are you legitimately trying to make musical instruments a discriminatory argument like "It's 2024, of course women can headline"

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

There is no guessing, they know exactly the time of beats, hooks, notes, vocal chords that are appealing, they know what type of lyrics hit with focus groups, what demographic the artist fills that appeals most to crowds. Raye, Jorja Smith, Griff, Joy Crooks, Arlo Park are pretty much interchangeable, because it is so calculated.

51 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

My god this is embarrassing.

Just want to follow up on this because I actually think it's a pretty f**ked up and I don't want it to go unchallenged and ignored.

At best it’s embarrassing. At worst there’s gross misogynistic and racist undertones in your post. You’ve just lumped together a load of women of colour that have had varying degrees of commercial and critical success and insinuated that that success can only be attributed to a bunch of higher ups in suits pulling strings in the background.

How you can listen to Arlo Parks’ latest release and not be able to distinguish it from Raye’s latest, for example, is laughable and suggests to me that you haven’t actually listened to these artists but chosen to lump them together based on some very very questionable assumptions. It detracts from their artistry and the effort that they’ve undoubtedly put into their careers.

It’s embarrassing for you to comment and judge these individual’s art on an online forum when you clearly don’t know anything about them or how their careers have flourished. I’d love to see you create music and lyrics that resonate with so many. Maybe the fact that your screenwriting gets so beaten out by the studios is because it’s actually just sh*t.

12 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

I don't get what the year has to do with it?

Are you legitimately trying to make musical instruments a discriminatory argument like "It's 2024, of course women can headline"

Public Enemy headlined in 1992, so it being 2024 is relevant because it's been 32 years since people started headlining Reading pressing buttons instead of playing instruments

Get with the times and stop whinging lol

Edited by CapnOrange

9 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Just want to follow up on this because I actually think it's a pretty f**ked up and I don't want it to go unchallenged and ignored.

At best it’s embarrassing. At worst there’s gross misogynistic and racist undertones in your post. You’ve just lumped together a load of women of colour that have had varying degrees of commercial and critical success and insinuated that that success can only be attributed to a bunch of higher ups in suits pulling strings in the background.

How you can listen to Arlo Parks’ latest release and not be able to distinguish it from Raye’s latest, for example, is laughable and suggests to me that you haven’t actually listened to these artists but chosen to lump them together based on some very very questionable assumptions. It detracts from their artistry and the effort that they’ve undoubtedly put into their careers.

It’s embarrassing for you to comment and judge these individual’s art on an online forum when you clearly don’t know anything about them or how their careers have flourished. I’d love to see you create music and lyrics that resonate with so many. Maybe the fact that your screenwriting gets so beaten out by the studios is because it’s actually just sh*t.

THE CONVERSATION WAS ABOUT RAYE BEING MANUFACTURED TALENT. I NAMED INTERCHANGABLE ARTISTS WITH HER.

Christ, don't pull a muscle trying to reach so hard.

And I suggest you understand what plot beats actually are. Scripts aren't "beaten out", they follow calculated drum beats. Try harder mate.

Edited by Chad888

1 minute ago, Chad888 said:

THE CONVERSATION WAS ABOUT RAYE BEING MANUFACTURED TALENT. I NAMED INTERCHANGABLE ARTISTS WITH HER.

As I said

10 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Go off, King 👏

7 minutes ago, stanh said:

I0000oNDFR7WTFaU.jpg

Ahhh that Glasto set was lovely. 

Couldn't get in to the Barn at RW to see him last summer so really looking forward to Sunday evening. Seriously dreading the come down at LDR afterward though.

1 minute ago, Cammers said:

Couldn't get in to the Barn at RW to see him last summer so really looking forward to Sunday evening. Seriously dreading the come down at LDR afterward though.

doesnt Fred Again close out both nights?

4 minutes ago, Cammers said:

I think hes on after LDR so were good

Edited by nathanh

8 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

And I suggest you understand what plot beats actually are. Scripts aren't "beaten out", they follow calculated drum beats. Try harder mate.

you are such a d*ck i'm sat here laughing 

6 minutes ago, Cammers said:

Wasn't it! Was miles better than Parklife which I thought had some pretty bad pacing issues. Even though I won't be going R&L, I think the set will be great.

9 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

If you had a point, you wouldnt need to be defending yourself with capital letters in a festival forum, go write some screenplay or something.