2024 Festival

Chad888

5 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

What the f**k is up with day ticket prices 

£195 for Lana day at reading is insane 

That is insanity. Thats only £15 less than I paid for my weekend ticket on loyalty presale in September

Edited by nathanh

20 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

Can only assume it’s all but sold out. 

I guess they can probably also walk back from it via the ‘resale’ market if push comes to shove.

It’s going to be all but impossible selling day tickets at that price given all convenient  hotels etc have long sold out

12 minutes ago, Benj said:

Can only assume it’s all but sold out. 

I guess they can probably also walk back from it via the ‘resale’ market if push comes to shove.

It’s going to be all but impossible selling day tickets at that price given all convenient  hotels etc have long sold out

Surely if its all but sold out it would make the festival look better if they were to let it sell out instead of upping the prices to a point most wont be able to justify

31 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Surely if its all but sold out it would make the festival look better if they were to let it sell out instead of upping the prices to a point most wont be able to justify

Better to sell for £££ earlier (getting people in who will likely spend more at bars / merch etc too) then lower price than selling out at lower than the 'real value' (ie the perfect amount to get an exact sellout)

Essentially surge pricing is what he's suggesting - just not really by an algorithm

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

Better to sell for £££ earlier (getting people in who will likely spend more at bars / merch etc too) then lower price than selling out at lower than the 'real value' (ie the perfect amount to get an exact sellout)

Essentially surge pricing is what he's suggesting - just not really by an algorithm

Going to be interesting to see how the tickets sell once a poster is out because I think they are up for a strong start at the moment to do decently well this summer. 

55 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Going to be interesting to see how the tickets sell once a poster is out because I think they are up for a strong start at the moment to do decently well this summer. 

I agree

It will look good on a poster I think based on the headliners / subs announced so far. Its surprising they didn't release a poster initially like recent years.

I honestly see no issue with the lineup atm - its just its quite expensive - especially for young adults / teenagers.

For reference - currently weekend tickets are a quid more than Glasto which provides far more value!

Edited by gfa

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

I agree

It will look good on a poster I think based on the headliners / subs announced so far. Its surprising they didn't release a poster initially like recent years.

I honestly see no issue with the lineup atm - its just its quite expensive - especially for young adults / teenagers.

For reference - currently weekend tickets are a quid more than Glasto which provides far more value!

This is why i think the poster is going to be so pivotal to ticket sales. I think with what we have, as you mentioned, will look good on a poster as long as the undercard isnt absolute rubbish. For the price, I think people are waiting for a better understanding of the whole weekend after the poor undercard last year before parting with what is quite a lot of money in the current economic climate.

2 hours ago, nathanh said:

They’re trying to maximise revenue, they say it’s sold out every year whether they do or not…

Edited by Benj

32 minutes ago, gfa said:

I agree

Yup. Line up is decent. Value for money is not…

Ultimately that’s why I suspect I won’t be there for the second year in a row. 

Reading has never been a good ‘festival’, it always had good balanced lineups, with loads of choice that provided great value.

That value has now long gone. I’m not paying £300 to stand in a field to watch 21 Savage, CATBM and Liam Gallagher one night.

There will be loads thinking the same for the Blink night and the Fred night. The lower bill is gong to have to do A LOT of heavy lifting to get people to commit to a weekend.  

3 hours ago, Muppetmark said:

And to think that when I spent £90 on a day ticket to see Muse there in 2011 I thought I was making a hell of a pricey purchase. If only I'd known then where it was going.

"Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 tickets have now sold out for this day at Reading Festival 2024. A limited number of Tier 4 tickets are now available to purchase."

Clearly using "Tiers" to justify some higher price tickets, so must be near selling out

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

Just a guess because every festival under the sun has been making additions this week. 

I would like to hope so I want to finally catch a glimpse of some form of poster however theres something in me telling me were gonna have to wait till middle of Feb

Fred and Del Rey selling well shows the value in relatively exclusive bookings

Blink would have sucked up a lot of demand with their shows last year, Gallagher’s not really stopped since he last played Reading

Guess Cinnamon has been quiet for ages but does anyone really give a f**k?

CATBM never that big but will have some pent up demand

Theyre all solid bookings I guess, no real wow factor though

38 minutes ago, Benj said:

Blink would have sucked up a lot of demand with their shows last year, Gallagher’s not really stopped since he last played Reading

I'm sure it will sell relatively well eventually, its one of the strongest lineups since the dual main stage thing

33 minutes ago, nathanh said:

I'm sure it will sell relatively well eventually, its one of the strongest lineups since the dual main stage thing

90% of the lineup isn’t out yet (actually these days we’ve probably got about 75%  already 🤣)

Its a reasonably good set of headliners (the 3 who’ve not played in the last 3 years anyway), the quality of the lineup is very much still TBD

As it is for me personally, there are 4 acts I’m interested in seeing… it’s deffo not a good lineup from where I’m sitting at the mo

Edited by Benj

17 hours ago, Benj said:

Yup. Line up is decent. Value for money is not…

Ultimately that’s why I suspect I won’t be there for the second year in a row. 

Reading has never been a good ‘festival’, it always had good balanced lineups, with loads of choice that provided great value.

That value has now long gone. I’m not paying £300 to stand in a field to watch 21 Savage, CATBM and Liam Gallagher one night.

There will be loads thinking the same for the Blink night and the Fred night. The lower bill is gong to have to do A LOT of heavy lifting to get people to commit to a weekend.  

How can the lineup be decent but value for money not be?

If you got one of those super early loyalty tickets the value for money is insane.

You've said a night that has 3 arena selling acts is bad value + a full supporting bill

---

I think once the poster is out the value for money will look significantly better is my point. Its a solid lineup, far better than last year's unless they really f**k the undercard.

They have done very well to get some of the hottest acts around who are very much in demand e.g. Lana, Fred, 21 Savage and Catfish + some more one off acts you can't see elsewhere like Gerry, Skrillex and Blink.

Blink and LG while they did tour last year aren't nearly as overtoured as Killers / Sam Fender were

11 hours ago, Benj said:

Fred and Lana are less rock/indie bookings to sell day tickets

Blink / LG / GC / Catfish to sell the weekend tickets

is perhaps how i'd look at it

Gerry up at leeds will definitely help sell some day tickets

2 hours ago, gfa said:

How can the lineup be decent but value for money not be?

If you got one of those super early loyalty tickets the value for money is insane.

It’s very simple. Something can be very, very good but very, very over priced.

At 220 quid Reading is good value at 50% more than that it is not…

2 hours ago, gfa said:

I think once the poster is out the value for money will look significantly better is my point. Its a solid lineup, far better than last year's unless they really f**k the undercard.

Yes, it may, or indeed may look significantly worse...

I believe my original point was to counter that “the line up is good”, the point being we have no idea whether it’s good or not yet, or more importantly if “we” as individuals will like it.

As it stands for me and my friends, we’re not going despite the “strong lineup”, the undercard on the poster is going to have to do some VERY heavy lifting to get us there. 

With the 2 stage format, I’m not sure it’s able to. We’re not yo-yoing between the stages watching sh*t we have no interest in again, 2 years was enough to show us it was poor value for money, whoever it is who ends the night

13 minutes ago, Benj said:

Yes, it may, or indeed may look significantly worse...

I believe my original point was to counter that “the line up is good”, the point being we have no idea whether it’s good or not yet, or more importantly if “we” as individuals will like it.

As it stands for me and my friends, we’re not going despite the “strong lineup”, the undercard on the poster is going to have to do some VERY heavy lifting to get us there. 

With the 2 stage format, I’m not sure it’s able to. We’re not yo-yoing between the stages watching sh*t we have no interest in again, 2 years was enough to show us it was poor value for money, whoever it is who ends the night

Any lineup would have to do ridiculously heavy lifting to get me to fly halfway across the world to be fair