Boardmasters 2023

stanh

On 12/30/2022 at 7:12 PM, gfa said:

Wonder who this final headliner could be then... wonder if it could maybe be Fred Again?

Liam on the exclusive + Florence can't have been cheap so Fred would be a cheaper option but is heavily in demand and would be his first UK festival headline

Can't see Boardies taking that big a risk on a first time headliner. I reckon someone poppy like Lewis Capaldi, George Ezra, or a rap act like Dave, Skepta etc...could even be a Post Malone etc

18 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Can't see Boardies taking that big a risk on a first time headliner. I reckon someone poppy like Lewis Capaldi, George Ezra, or a rap act like Dave, Skepta etc...could even be a Post Malone etc

Ezra did it this year

Your right on the risk, not sure i see it. Don't think they are affording Post Malone alongside their two current headliners - even Dave might be a stretch now hes headlined Reading. Would be a fantastic booking (is he even about, think hes finished this cycle??)

3 hours ago, gfa said:

Ezra did it this year

Your right on the risk, not sure i see it. Don't think they are affording Post Malone alongside their two current headliners - even Dave might be a stretch now hes headlined Reading. Would be a fantastic booking (is he even about, think hes finished this cycle??)

When I said Ezra and Dave/Post I was more referring to "like" as opposed THEM.

1975 would be too expensive, Dave would be cheaper than Stormzy (or would he with Stormzys current trajectory??), Post Malone is a bit of a dead fish at the moment...

It will be a top 40 charter though, I'm sure of that. It won't be a Sam Fender, Foals or Paramore as they have 2 other indie rock. That's why I reckon it could be the British rapper - I'd have said Dizzee Rascal if he wasn't a woman beater.

Either way, I'm doing Boardmasters over R&L this year, seems much more laid back and easy living + I moved half an hour away.

24 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

When I said Ezra and Dave/Post I was more referring to "like" as opposed THEM.

1975 would be too expensive, Dave would be cheaper than Stormzy (or would he with Stormzys current trajectory??), Post Malone is a bit of a dead fish at the moment...

It will be a top 40 charter though, I'm sure of that. It won't be a Sam Fender, Foals or Paramore as they have 2 other indie rock. That's why I reckon it could be the British rapper - I'd have said Dizzee Rascal if he wasn't a woman beater.

Either way, I'm doing Boardmasters over R&L this year, seems much more laid back and easy living + I moved half an hour away.

dizzee rascal is nowhere near big enough - he subbed it when i went in 2021 and hes a weak sub in 2023 at best. definitely won't be indie

6 minutes ago, WhoOdyssey said:

Dermot Kennedy perhaps? He'd certainly be a cheaper option alongside the other two headliners, but had an arena tour this year.

He's never done a big show in England let alone a 50k festival according to setlist fm

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/concert-map/dermot-kennedy-33ccf075.html?year=2022

Not convinced - very hard to judge his size without concert history. I gather hes huge in Ireland but over here not even close to Boardmasters headliner

3 hours ago, WhoOdyssey said:

Dermot Kennedy perhaps? He'd certainly be a cheaper option alongside the other two headliners, but had an arena tour this year.

Dermot Kennedy set to play 3rd down the land of saints in 2019 and hasn’t got bigger since - definitely not headline material 

On that note I recon we could get some of the acts from this lineup - Hunna / razorlight / Mabel / slaves / Wilkinson etc

image.jpeg

Edited by Will b

33 minutes ago, Will b said:

Dermot Kennedy set to play 3rd down the land of saints in 2019 and hasn’t got bigger since - definitely not headline material 

On that note I recon we could get some of the acts from this lineup - Hunna / razorlight / Mabel / slaves / Wilkinson etc

image.jpeg

Not a headliner but he's 100% got bigger 😂

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Will b said:

Just throwing some names around (some are highly unlikely ik)

lewis Capaldi / skepta / bicep / Bon iver / Fred again / chase + status / lorde / Lana del ray 

Skepta, Bicep, Fred and C&S are the only likes ones of these.

C&S ruled out due to being at NASS I reckon, its one of the nearest festivals to Boardies

• 3 weeks later...

Never done Boardmasters before (only ever done R&L) and have some questions.

1) When are we likely to see the 3rd headliner and day splits come out?

2) When is it best to get a ticket on re-sale for 2 people, day entry no camping only? (Haven't got a ticket yet)

3) Is it an "relax and enjoy the tunes" festival, or a "get drunk in the campsite and dance to the music" festival? (Likely to drive in and back each day)

4) I will have a 4 month old baby, is it friendly towards children if needed? (Have my parents babysit)

5) Who/what kind of acts are likely to get announced? (Those announced are fine but noones I'd go out my way for)

I just moved to Cornwall and live 40 mins away from the site, I want to go but don't want to spend say £500 on 2 tickets when the lineup is uninspired when I could take my wife and baby to Corfu.

Edited by Chad888

21 hours ago, Chad888 said:

3) Is it an "relax and enjoy the tunes" festival, or a "get drunk in the campsite and dance to the music" festival? (Likely to drive in and back each day

5) Who/what kind of acts are likely to get announced? (Those announced are fine but noones I'd go out my way for)

1) second announcement usually comes around February time so hopefully soon - day splits I imagine will come with that (however stage splits only get announced a week or so away from the festival) 

3) somewhere in the middle: there’s plenty of oppertunity to relax and enjoy the tunes as you put it enhanced by the amazing location and Newquay/watergate bay being not too far away. However the festival attracts quite a lot of teens/early 20s who will drink the day away, start mosh pits to Loyle Carner songs (thanks 2021), and last year even saw campsite wars on a similar scale as the ones at reading/Leeds 

5) couple staple indie bands to supplement the current headliners (see kooks, wombats, bombay bicycle club, blossoms, Sam fender, easy life, Declan McKenna of previous years) some classic mid-afternoon radio pop (see Freya Ridings, Mahalia, Tom Grennan, Becky hill, Sam ryder), the odd rap act (see de La soul, Kano, dizzee rascal, slowthai) and then a host of dance/electronic acts across the 3 dance stages (see jamie xx, Andy c, Sigala, Crucast, Joel Corry, Kurupt fm, jax Jones, shy fx etc etc)

now I’m no boardies expert but I hope I’ve got this vaguely right and hope it helps (afraid I don’t have a solid answer to 2 and 4)

Edited by Will b

22 hours ago, Chad888 said:

2) When is it best to get a ticket on re-sale for 2 people, day entry no camping only? (Haven't got a ticket yet)

4) I will have a 4 month old baby, is it friendly towards children if needed? (Have my parents babysit)

2.) It is probably easiest to get day entry tickets either when they go on sale, or, a week or so before you will get quite a few popping up on Tixel especially. Normally though there is a lot more camping tickets going up on resale, rather than day entry only, so depends really if you want to go that much you'd be happy to drop the full amount when they go on sale, or risk potentially not going... That being said, if you have notifications and all of that on, I don't think it'd be too much of a struggle - but may be slightly harder than other years considering how fast this year has sold out with the other tickets which have already gone on sale.

4.) I'd say so yes, especially if you are sticking to the main few stages, Unleashed (dance tent) and The Dockyard/DB90 (dance arena) is slightly more rowdy, but the other stages I don't really think you will find any issues. Plenty of room to stand/sit about and take the festival as chill or as energetic as you'd like. Obviously moshpits and stuff in the main pit of the crowds, but thats to be expected, especially with the main demographic that go. Since you will doing it on day tickets if you go, no need to worry about the rest of it, as the campsites really are the only place that I wouldn't say are very family friendly (think a slightly more tame Sunday at Reading & Leeds) with camp wars, fires etc etc. Other than that though, I'd say it's a pretty family friendly festival, and also nice to be near the beach too if the acts you were wanting to see didn't start until later in the day!

Hope that all helps!

On 1/21/2023 at 6:55 PM, Chad888 said:

Never done Boardmasters before (only ever done R&L) and have some questions.

3) Is it an "relax and enjoy the tunes" festival, or a "get drunk in the campsite and dance to the music" festival? (Likely to drive in and back each day)

I just moved to Cornwall and live 40 mins away from the site, I want to go but don't want to spend say £500 on 2 tickets when the lineup is uninspired when I could take my wife and baby to Corfu.

1 - they just posted about day tickets going on sale so it must be imminent.

2 - tickets went well under retail last year just before the event, think there will be a resale too of failed payment plans at some point

3 - its basically the same as reading/leeds in this regard, campsite warfare seemed worse honestly. beach is a huge +

4 - don't take a 4 month old baby. it would be fine i'm sure but its definitely not a super kid friendly festival

5 - have a look at previous lineups is the best bet. last headliner will probably not be a band

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Aitch is headlining parklife… a possibility for boardies too? Would definitely be a cheaper option 

wh tang clan are around quite a bit too and we’re meant to be 2019 headliners but I recon the fact they’re at nass rules them out 

Edited by Will b

11 minutes ago, Will b said:

Looks like Aitch is headlining parklife… a possibility for boardies too? Would definitely be a cheaper option 

wh tang clan are around quite a bit too and we’re meant to be 2019 headliners but I recon the fact they’re at nass rules them out 

Not sure i see it, its a hometown show at parklife

he's weak there, let alone the complete opposite end of the country

14 hours ago, stanh said:

New Boardies email confirming more names are getting added in the next few weeks, alongside day tickets.

The fact they’re having to wait and miss this wave of announcements suggests its going to be someone yet to be doing uk fests. Still thinking Skepta

will definitely look unlike any other lineup if its skepta/some other act not really doing anywhere else