Volunteering 2023

neil93

I have lurked in these pages for a long time but rarely post. I got my place like a few others on here about a week before in 2019. I have faith but it is hard to know if i should be planning and packing and getting excited but risking despair if it never happens. I was going to try the hack but the post last night has got me worried. 

59 minutes ago, chestwig said:

If we have this little hack working to our advantage and they release a batch rather than singly, as they have been. Surely this is a good thing?

Have they said they are going to release in batches? 🤞🏼

11 minutes ago, RichardT said:

Have they said they are going to release in batches? 🤞🏼

I don't have experience of the trends of previous years, but personally I wouldn't expect another batch unless Glastonbury request extra stewards.  The last batch was mainly driven by the resale, and I think the moderate supply since then is down to people getting double/treble booked (families and friend all trying on the same account), and people getting offers from other charities/etc. and choosing which job they prefer.

Going forward it may be more down to people who have to cancel due to holidays/illness/weddings/work commitments/etc. ?

21 hours ago, Lisanextdoor said:

I have lurked in these pages for a long time but rarely post. I got my place like a few others on here about a week before in 2019. I have faith but it is hard to know if i should be planning and packing and getting excited but risking despair if it never happens. I was going to try the hack but the post last night has got me worried. 

I think that poster sounded like he was actually full of shit. They haven't responded or provided any evidence for the claims. And let's face it.... It's not exactly like the 'hack' is for getting a Glastonbury ticket. It's for the opportunity to volunteer. Who cares if there's something that puts us a military second above others. 

I'm the same as you. Not planning for Glastonbury, but when I'm in front of my computer through the working week, it's worth checking for tickets from time to time. Should I not get one, I have a nice backup plan anyway.

The other benefit to this, is if the weather was looking absolutely diabolical the week before Glastonbury, I certainly wouldn't be trying for a volunteer opportunity. The thought of another pissy Glastonbury, does not appeal. Punters don't have that luxury, they are 'bought in' months in advance. 

1 hour ago, chestwig said:

I think that poster sounded like he was actually full of shit. They haven't responded or provided any evidence for the claims. And let's face it.... It's not exactly like the 'hack' is for getting a Glastonbury ticket. It's for the opportunity to volunteer. Who cares if there's something that puts us a military second above others. 

I'm the same as you. Not planning for Glastonbury, but when I'm in front of my computer through the working week, it's worth checking for tickets from time to time. Should I not get one, I have a nice backup plan anyway.

The other benefit to this, is if the weather was looking absolutely diabolical the week before Glastonbury, I certainly wouldn't be trying for a volunteer opportunity. The thought of another pissy Glastonbury, does not appeal. Punters don't have that luxury, they are 'bought in' months in advance. 

If it is wet but it wont be but if it is it wont be but but The Oxfam Field with all the facilities is probably one of the best places to camp 👍

Edited by gazzared
  • Like 1

It’s like Schrödinger’s Glastonbury as I feel I am both going and not going at this point. That’s a good point @chestwig about if a late space comes up having the advantage of a realistic weather forecast but I have a feeling if i see one I won’t be able to help pressing proceed. Even if it’s forecast to be shit weather. Which of course it won’t be 😎

1 hour ago, Lisanextdoor said:

It’s like Schrödinger’s Glastonbury as I feel I am both going and not going at this point. That’s a good point @chestwig about if a late space comes up having the advantage of a realistic weather forecast but I have a feeling if i see one I won’t be able to help pressing proceed. Even if it’s forecast to be shit weather. Which of course it won’t be 😎

I'm a cat person... 

But I get what you mean 🙂

14 minutes ago, chestwig said:

What's the earliest time anybody has secured a repotted spot? I'm wondering when I need to get back into 'proceed' land on Monday morning?

I got mine at 9am the day after the second batch release, still trying for my mate 🤞🏼

8 minutes ago, golden egg said:

Another question that’s probably been answered already..

Do you work all three shifts in the same spot and with the same team?

Not to my knowledge but then again last year was my first time volunteering. My Thursday late shift and Saturday morning shift were at the same place with the same people but the Sunday night shift was a totally different place with different people.

26 minutes ago, golden egg said:

Most stewards will, a decent minority won't.

I was supervisor on an obscure far flung gate last year and was there for all three of my shifts but my stewards weren't. I had one group for one shift and a different lot for the other two.

On the main gates you'll usually be in the same place for all 3.

30 minutes ago, golden egg said:

It depends a lot on what kind of shift you get on weds/Thurs I think.

I think that if you get a pedestrian gate, that’s probably where you’ll stay, but if you get a car park/traffic crossing/ vehicle gate - you are more likely to have a non-matching shift.

2 hours ago, golden egg said:

Usually but not always. When I got a late spot in 2019  I worked an untypical shift pattern and worked in 3 different locations. It was quite good for the variety but I was there that year on my own so didn’t meet as many people as when you are all on the same gate. 

4 minutes ago, Tr234 said:

What are the best/worst jobs for Oxfam?

To be fair none of the best jobs are at Glastonbury. At other festivals you have a chance of being posted close to stages and still being in touch with music during the festival. There isn’t much, if any, of this at Glastonbury.

At Glastonbury I think it’s possibly best to be on a Ped gate that is reasonably close to the campsite, so that you don’t have too far to walk to your shift and you’re reasonably occupied during it and interacting with a generally happy public.

Crossings can be OK for similar reasons.

I’d say the worst is getting a quiet vehicle gate (literally) miles from the campsite. Tiring getting there and back, and really dull.

I got a place a few days before the 2019 festival and got the best shift pattern..  did response team on Wednesday morning (and ended up being deployed to Ped Gate A), worthy view gate overnight Thursday and Ped Gate B Saturday PM.  Really enjoyed it. 

10 minutes ago, chestwig said:

Wonder what the chance of pre festival shifts are for those that get a spot. That's all I've done at Glastonbury before and seem to remember it was awarded to me only a few days before the festival 

I had pre- festival shifts a couple of years ago and was on shift with someone who had only got a spot the week before the festival & had never done it before. It can be very random but there are very few pre-festival shifts and you do have to be very lucky to get them.

8 minutes ago, chestwig said:

Wonder what the chance of pre festival shifts are for those that get a spot. That's all I've done at Glastonbury before and seem to remember it was awarded to me only a few days before the festival 

Pretty slim. No idea what the actual chance is as we don't know how many request it. We always tick the box but never had them but we are a group of 6 experienced, long term, mostly supervisors, (including a couple who are the top bods on busy gates) so I don't fancy our chances tbh. You live in hope though.

You tend to find out late if you've got them so you have to be flexible. If you get offered very late it's probably because someone hasn't been able to do it. Only time I've ever had an early shift was Latitude and I got asked about 3 or 4 days before so guess that's what happened.

2 hours ago, amfy said:

To be fair none of the best jobs are at Glastonbury. At other festivals you have a chance of being posted close to stages and still being in touch with music during the festival. There isn’t much, if any, of this at Glastonbury.

At Glastonbury I think it’s possibly best to be on a Ped gate that is reasonably close to the campsite, so that you don’t have too far to walk to your shift and you’re reasonably occupied during it and interacting with a generally happy public.

Crossings can be OK for similar reasons.

I’d say the worst is getting a quiet vehicle gate (literally) miles from the campsite. Tiring getting there and back, and really dull.

Stickleball Gate. A weird hybrid vehicle/ped gate that could only be used by security and traders going in and out of Sticklinch. And as far as it's possible to be from our campsite. So far. So dull.