BST 2023

mike99

14 hours ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

I'm not going to suggest Bruce Springsteen doesn't know what he's doing but opening with a b-side, an album track from Wrecking Ball, and a new song ain't it. Never seen anyone lose a crowd so fast.

I was in GA up near the Diamond Circle and the crowd was essentially just people chatting. Moved back and round towards the Gold Circle and the crowd was much the same. A *lot* of indifferent people.

That's my third time seeing Bruce and, while he doesn't know how to do a 'bad' show, that was comfortably the least-good time I've seen him.

It was bouncing where I was at in GA throughout the show. The young guy in front of me had a "My Love Will Not Let You Down" tattoo on his arm so he and his friends were delighted. I don't think it's as obscure a song as you think it is...

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

She's here. 20 minutes late but she's here.

I have loved her for years but really didn't like her attitude of not only being late but then extending the penultimate song's outro and being all "f**k it they can cut us off". Just rude quite frankly and her outro did indeed get muted, though just happy it didn't happen mid-song.

Did she seem off her face to anyone else? Constantly forgetting words, slightly slurring her speech, looked like she was trying to stop her jaw swinging at a few points. Glad I had low expectations anyway so really enjoyed myself, otherwise I'd be a little pissed.

• Upvote 1

Great show in a massive Hyde Park, was a little worried if Lana’s music was suitable for large crowds and fields, but she did deliver. Even de slow Tracks have explosive climaxes (Cherry, Ultraviolence, pretty when you cry). Not as impressed as I was at the Amsterdam show, but still very good show. 
Great to see two types of fans in the crowd: the screaming teenager girls who all dress up like Lana, and the more “serious music adorers” (where I put myself in). A little harsh stereotyping, sorry for that, but it’s how I see it. 
Lana is simply a phenomenal artist. She’s just different. This year is her major breakthrough to the masses. Next tour it will be all fields and stadiums unfortunately. Hope she keeps making great music.

• Upvote 2

Bruce last Thursday was fantastic. It's taken the weekend to sink in a bit, being so close to I guess such a prominent musical figure in my life felt a little surreal. However compared to some things I've seen at Glasto I didn't get as emotional as I tend to get there. Maybe being well rested and not hanging out my ass made me less susceptible. And being annoyed by a blanket that was next to me that the person didn't pick up until way past half way through the set.

Set list was great and as good as you can expect, though I'm sure any Bruce fan could make their own different set list of completely different songs. Just how it goes.

Golden circle was obviously very pricey but I'm glad we paid it in this case, dunno if I'll see Bruce again so wanted to make the most of it. 

First time at BST and its a well run and put together fest, plenty of bars, no queuing etc. The undercard was such a stinker though. Saw Picture Parlour and Theo Lawrence who were both fine. But the lack of options throughout the day gave it a distinctly non-festival feeling. The drag show speak easy was a laugh though.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Bruce last Thursday was fantastic. It's taken the weekend to sink in a bit, being so close to I guess such a prominent musical figure in my life felt a little surreal. However compared to some things I've seen at Glasto I didn't get as emotional as I tend to get there. Maybe being well rested and not hanging out my ass made me less susceptible. And being annoyed by a blanket that was next to me that the person didn't pick up until way past half way through the set.

Set list was great and as good as you can expect, though I'm sure any Bruce fan could make their own different set list of completely different songs. Just how it goes.

Golden circle was obviously very pricey but I'm glad we paid it in this case, dunno if I'll see Bruce again so wanted to make the most of it. 

First time at BST and its a well run and put together fest, plenty of bars, no queuing etc. The undercard was such a stinker though. Saw Picture Parlour and Theo Lawrence who were both fine. But the lack of options throughout the day gave it a distinctly non-festival feeling. The drag show speak easy was a laugh though.

In GC on Sat a proper security/arena organiser came through just before Bruce came on and told everyone to stand up which was interesting - never seen that before. 

I wouldn't complain about your undercard if I was you - you got Frank Turner and we got James Bay. 

Managed to get a pair of tickets for Lana from Tickets for Good. I like her stuff but not that big of a fan to want to pair top dollar for tickets when I doubted her music would work well outside. However, I'm not going to turn down a pair of cheap tickets with Gang of Youths and The Last Dinner Party on the bill.

I was pleasently surprised that the show was so good in a park although what was all that screaming for? Everything and anything seemed to kick off a round of screaming. Oh, well each to their own but it did spoil the experience for me but no doubt added to their enjoyment.

Oddly, this was the emptiest I have ever seen BST and could easily get around the site and find seating between bands, no ques for toilets etc. I did think it might just be lots of girls taking up less space then say rock fans for GNR but even that does not seem right. I have  never seen Hyde Park so empty. 

On 7/9/2023 at 9:39 PM, judyblue110 said:

It was bouncing where I was at in GA throughout the show. The young guy in front of me had a "My Love Will Not Let You Down" tattoo on his arm so he and his friends were delighted. I don't think it's as obscure a song as you think it is...

Your description fits me and my friends! We're in all in our mid 20s and had a good old jump around to those first few songs. It was an absolute blast

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2023 at 10:28 AM, ls2408 said:

Played at Amsterdam and in Italy apparently. Probably because she wasn’t late there!

She was 14 mins late in Amsterdam and did the extended outro /VB and the nature boy muscial out... I think Ziggo has a less restrictive curfew because of where it is? I was there, was a great show. 

5 hours ago, Mcbatesman said:

On to the important stuff now though,

Predictions for next year??

I’d like Neil Young back headlining.  Maybe Dua Lipa is a possibility if she’s playing Glastonbury, would certainly go to that.

Did wristbanding for Bruce and then into the golden circle, would do that again if there’s an expensive headliner I’d like to see next year. 

25 minutes ago, fantomas said:

I’d like Neil Young back headlining.  Maybe Dua Lipa is a possibility if she’s playing Glastonbury, would certainly go to that.

Did wristbanding for Bruce and then into the golden circle, would do that again if there’s an expensive headliner I’d like to see next year. 

How did you manage to get into the gold circle?? I was going to try my luck on it after doing Lana 🤣

3 hours ago, Mcbatesman said:

How did you manage to get into the gold circle?? I was going to try my luck on it after doing Lana 🤣

Asked security nicely, saying I volunteered all day; they can of course say no.  Didn’t go that far in as first song was already on, but decent enough for rocking up late.