Connect Festival

kingcrawler

I only went today but I really enjoyed that. The site was surprisingly nice for being sandwiched between a dual carriageway and an airport, plenty of grass and very easy to get around. I think it would be a bit of a nightmare if the weather was bad all weekend but that goes for a lot of festivals. As it was, the weather was ideal, if a bit cold by the time the sun disappeared. 

The music was excellent. I saw everyone on the main stage but spent most of the time in between acts near the Speakeasy tent at the other end of the site and the crowds at every stage seemed to be enjoying themselves. The National were my highlight, they’re on excellent live form this summer, but I really enjoyed Bombay Bicycle Club and Self Esteem too, though it’s hard to fault any of the acts. It’s always fun watching people shit themselves when Mogwai Fear Satan kicks in for a second time out of nowhere.

The site seemed to get relatively busy around 5/6 but even then it was clearly not a sell out and while it was busy around the food stalls and bars, it was always very easy to get a good spot at any stage. That suited me fine as there were enough people to generate an atmosphere without it being mobbed. 

The only real complaint I have is the end. Having one shuttle bus every 20 minutes between the site and Ingliston park and ride is a shambles when you’re trying to encourage people to travel that way. I ended up just walking back which was fine but you’d think they could have a bus going in either direction which would cut down on queues massively. It seems like an easy thing to fix for next year anyway.

I’d have considered this for a long weekend however, coming from leeds:

1) its a non camping festival other than outrageous boutique options

2) all accom in edinburgh in august is notoriously expensive

3) transport options to and from the city centre looked limited when i was plannning a potential trip and from what ive read it sounds like a predictable ‘mare in this regard at the end.

if this was a camping festival i would have been much more likely to go. Also for the reasons above its somewhat of a closed shop unless you live edinburgh way or you are loaded / have planned a year in advance (if there even are any “deals” for accom)

its so close to being attractive to a significant non-edinburgh audience but theres a few major points with date and location that are likely to stop it from being an unequivocal success commercially imo.

Edited by Memory Man

Good to see that they have already announced this is going ahead again next year. 

I was there on Friday and it was VERY quiet. Made driving out the site a breeze though! The site overall was a good layout and considering this was the first edition on this site, thought they done a good job. Idles were great as always and Jon Hopkins was exceptional. 

Been trying to think of who they could announce early(ish) to try and maximise ticket sales as this year, a lot of the bands playing were announced to play elsewhere in the UK/Europe months before Connect announced. 

I would've said Arcade Fire but given recent events, probably not. Hoping for Pulp personally!

1 hour ago, chickenfire said:

Good to see that they have already announced this is going ahead again next year. 

I was there on Friday and it was VERY quiet. Made driving out the site a breeze though! The site overall was a good layout and considering this was the first edition on this site, thought they done a good job. Idles were great as always and Jon Hopkins was exceptional. 

Been trying to think of who they could announce early(ish) to try and maximise ticket sales as this year, a lot of the bands playing were announced to play elsewhere in the UK/Europe months before Connect announced. 

I would've said Arcade Fire but given recent events, probably not. Hoping for Pulp personally!

I think it was a combination of it being...

1. A "new" festival (even though it was based on the old 2007/2008 Connect festival).

2. Massive Attack pulling out from their Friday Headline slot.

3. Friday.

I was working on site from 10:30am onwards and it never really got busy until after 6pm.  I think a lot of people treated it as an Idles and Jon Hopkins gig.  Saturday was noticeably different if crowd size, but still had a nice chilled atmosphere about it.

6 hours ago, chickenfire said:

Yeah I had been thinking Arcade Fire as well but not anymore. At the moment I'd optimistically guess Florence and the Machine, New Order and Pulp but I think The Prodigy or a returning Massive Attack are contenders too. I'm not sure how likely they'd be but Nine Inch Nails are the one I'm really hoping for. 

I was quite surprised to see them commit to 2023 so quickly. Where Connect went wrong the first time around was they drafted in more popular acts for the 2nd year and it bombed. I'd have concerns about a repeat from a couple things I've heard since 

They've got work to do imo. The pitch is good, but think they need a couple bigger headliners to really draw in a crowd. Especially Friday and Sunday in a non holiday weekend in Scotland 

Also Pulp seemed like the best fit possible for it next year, but as it stands it won't be their Scottish show. It didn't sound set in stone to me yet though, but I really hope they rethink and make it the case 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I was quite surprised to see them commit to 2023 so quickly. Where Connect went wrong the first time around was they drafted in more popular acts for the 2nd year and it bombed. I'd have concerns about a repeat from a couple things I've heard since 

They've got work to do imo. The pitch is good, but think they need a couple bigger headliners to really draw in a crowd. Especially Friday and Sunday in a non holiday weekend in Scotland 

Also Pulp seemed like the best fit possible for it next year, but as it stands it won't be their Scottish show. It didn't sound set in stone to me yet though, but I really hope they rethink and make it the case 

Yeah I think it’s a tricky one. I only went on Sunday but it seemed like that was the busiest day. As much as I love them The National aren’t exactly a huge act on their own and I imagine the strong and well curated lineup overall was the big selling point there. It’s hard trying to find those slightly bigger headliners who still fit that alternative lineup but as you say, drafting in more popular acts with a slightly different vibe might ruin things again. 

On Pulp, are they playing TRNSMT then or something else entirely? As you say, they seem a perfect size and audience for Connect, so that would be a shame if they’re not there.

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

Yeah I think it’s a tricky one. I only went on Sunday but it seemed like that was the busiest day. As much as I love them The National aren’t exactly a huge act on their own and I imagine the strong and well curated lineup overall was the big selling point there. It’s hard trying to find those slightly bigger headliners who still fit that alternative lineup but as you say, drafting in more popular acts with a slightly different vibe might ruin things again. 

On Pulp, are they playing TRNSMT then or something else entirely? As you say, they seem a perfect size and audience for Connect, so that would be a shame if they’re not there.

Sunday was the busiest day. I was there Saturday and it was decent enough that it didn't seem quiet at any stage

I tried to think of acts that could still have the alternative aspect but sell 10k tickets themselves (probably need about that draw from a headliner, its 15k cap) and was really struggling 

Would agree that they need stronger headliners/a more beefed out lineup for next year, liked a good section of the line up but couldn't merit the price, do hope they learn from things this year as the idea behind it/the presentation of it all looked decent from pics.

Can't help but feel they would be better moving it to a week later, and could potentially grab some of Electric Picnics (Ireland) acts, would also argue that with the fringe, is there really room for an 'alternative' festival at the same time? Looking at gigs over the fringe, if they had the likes of Micheal Kiwanuka, Arab Strap, Kae Tempest, along with some others that all played in Edinburgh, that would have strengthened it no end, imo. Will be interesting how they move forward regardless.

19 minutes ago, dtmcd said:

Pulp or Blur seem like the obvious choices to headline a day next year.  Both said they're touring and fits the demographic quite  well.

Biffy Clyro, Chvrches maybe?  

Rage Against the Machine have to be a possibility too if they reschedule Europe for next summer.

Have Blur confirmed they’re touring next year? I seen rumours about a Wembley date but no confirmation 

Liked the look of the festival this year, had hoped to get through for The National but didn't come about.

Something special like Blur next year would definitely help justify it for it!

Other acts I thought might fit the bill and tempt me through would be The War on Drugs, Father John Misty and First Aid Kit.

On 9/5/2022 at 1:55 PM, dtmcd said:

Pulp or Blur seem like the obvious choices to headline a day next year.  Both said they're touring and fits the demographic quite  well.

Biffy Clyro, Chvrches maybe?  

Rage Against the Machine have to be a possibility too if they reschedule Europe for next summer.

Blur is meant to be 2024 for 30 years of parklife (with the wembley date then)

I know these things aren’t necessarily who they’re going to book but there were some odd acts listed as potential headliners in their artist survey they sent out this week. I get including realistic contenders who would bring a slight change to the festival like Kasabian, Noel Gallagher etc., even if I wouldn’t book them myself, but I thought including acts like Deacon Blue, The Snuts, The Weeknd and Boygenius as potential headliners was a bit strange.

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

I know these things aren’t necessarily who they’re going to book but there were some odd acts listed as potential headliners in their artist survey they sent out this week. I get including realistic contenders who would bring a slight change to the festival like Kasabian, Noel Gallagher etc., even if I wouldn’t book them myself, but I thought including acts like Deacon Blue, The Snuts, The Weeknd and Boygenius as potential headliners was a bit strange.

They listed boygenius as potential headliners? Very weird, even in those survey things!

22 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

Noel with a proper undercard wouldn't look out of place at all imo

• 2 weeks later...

Pixies would be perfect for this. Dunno how it goes date wise, but if it's free, I'd have them as a good bet.

I also said on the TRNSMT thread, Royal Blood could be a shout, and THAT'S why they're not supporting Muse on their Glasgow show.

Of the ones mentioned though, I'm thinking Foals are probably the best bet.

3 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

Pixies would be perfect for this. Dunno how it goes date wise, but if it's free, I'd have them as a good bet.

I also said on the TRNSMT thread, Royal Blood could be a shout, and THAT'S why they're not supporting Muse on their Glasgow show.

Of the ones mentioned though, I'm thinking Foals are probably the best bet.

Royal Blood are with Muse in Paris on the Saturday of TRNSMT so I’m not sure how likely they are to do that. Could see them doing this though

• 3 weeks later...