2023 Festival

TheWaters

15 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Do the kids know who Pendulum are? Bit like asking Gen-Z if they've heard of Chase and Status. (Maybe they have! Maybe I'm really out of the loop!)

Don't think so to be honest

People have defo heard of chase and status, huge in the university dnb scene

16 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Do the kids know who Pendulum are? Bit like asking Gen-Z if they've heard of Chase and Status. (Maybe they have! Maybe I'm really out of the loop!)

We (30) met a lovely 18 year old waiting for Pendulum last year, we were so incredulous we had to ask. He loves them but all his mates were back at the tent getting pissed ready for AM later. 

52 minutes ago, SleepingGiants said:

Some would say I am probably in the demographic for Leeds.

Everyone into music has heard of Chase and Status, Bicep etc + the new dance acts like LF System, James Hype and particularly Fred Again (would be an excellent special guest booking btw).

Pendulum... I would say most would not have a clue...

sums it up well

9 hours ago, gfa said:

Don't think so to be honest

People have defo heard of chase and status, huge in the university dnb scene

Just me and my elderly cloth ears then. Chase and Status were massive back when I was in high school, and that's clearing a good period of time.

8 hours ago, BenG92 said:

We (30) met a lovely 18 year old waiting for Pendulum last year, we were so incredulous we had to ask. He loves them but all his mates were back at the tent getting pissed ready for AM later. 

It's like finding noughties teenagers at a Dire Straits reunion, almost.

7 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

It's like finding noughties teenagers at a Dire Straits reunion, almost.

Thats what depresses me most on the getting old front, the album year throwback.

Parklife is nearly 30 years old!

30 years prior to 1994 the Beatles released their 3rd Album too 

👴

On 2/16/2023 at 6:01 PM, NorthernSoul52 said:

Off topic but Chase & Status, Kaiser Chiefs and Razorlight have been announced as doing gigs as part of the MotoGP race at Silverstone, which is a slightly different vibe to doing R&L.

7 hours ago, Benj said:

Thats what depresses me most on the getting old front, the album year throwback.

Parklife is nearly 30 years old!

30 years prior to 1994 the Beatles released their 3rd Album too 

👴

I found it enough of a bizarre line to think that 2021 was ten years on from seeing Muse at Reading playing Origin of Symmetry in full to celebrate 10 years since that first came out in 2001.

That works too. Already seen a few choice "This album is 20 years old this year!" articles, to say nothing of going even further back with it.

8 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Off topic but Chase & Status, Kaiser Chiefs and Razorlight have been announced as doing gigs as part of the MotoGP race at Silverstone, which is a slightly different vibe to doing R&L.

Not West Holts legends Razorlight themselves?

A proper throwback trio that.

10 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Not West Holts legends Razorlight themselves?

A proper throwback trio that.

Until they were announced a support for Muse's show at Hammersmith Apollo in May last year, I didn't know they were still a thing. I also didn't know until researching yesterday that they'd brought back members who were in the band when America first came out.

Kaiser Chiefs is a throwback in a different sense for me, given I saw them at Silverstone ahead of the 2014 F1 Grand Prix at Silverstone. And by that I mean I went to their spot on the Thursday the day before practice sessions ahead of the race weekend instead of the actual race itself as it's all I could afford at the time.

1 minute ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I don't think I'd even twigged gigs had been at the races as long as this, outside of Abu Dhabi!

Singapore have done it for a while as well - they've had The Killers, Liam Gallagher, Muse, the Chili Peppers, Gwen Stefani, Green Day and Hans Zimmer for GP-attached gigs.

Silverstone I think is a more recent adopter.

10 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Singapore have done it for a while as well - they've had The Killers, Liam Gallagher, Muse, the Chili Peppers, Gwen Stefani, Green Day and Hans Zimmer for GP-attached gigs.

Silverstone I think is a more recent adopter.

That's a hell of a line-up of big names.

4 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I even left out Bon Jovi, Katy Perry, Ariana Grande, Kylie, Queen w/ Adam Lambert and Rihanna as I didn't know they'd also done it.

Whether the budget was smaller for 2022 and meant they had to deploy Westlife is another matter.

Westlife are very big in that part of the world, are they not?

50 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

The inexplicable popularity of Editors in Belgium and Enter Shikari in Russia is fascinating.

I feel like Editors' popularity in Belgium has peaked given their spot at Werchter appears to be headlining The Barn against Chili Peppers. Saying that they've headlined Werchter outright before, both of which appear to be slots they're not exactly in the running for in the equivalents here. 

Was less aware of Shikari in Russia.