news & politics:discussion

zahidf

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

My point is being a landlord the benefit comes at someone else’s detriment.

How is that comparable to savings in a bank? There’s no loser there. 

Bank savings interest comes from loans made to others, dividends come from other people working, like rent its unearned income at the expense of someone else. I agree BTL has had a bad effect on our society but that can be fixed by a decent govt and still allow private landlords

4 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Bank savings interest comes from loans made to others

I don’t see bank loans as being exploitative though 

tbh I get what you’re saying, nothings perfect but I can see the detrimental impact of BTL a million times more than I can of bank savings- we surely agree there ?

4 minutes ago, lazyred said:

I agree BTL has had a bad effect on our society but that can be fixed by a decent govt and still allow private landlords

Given that 3/4 of government and 1/2 of opposition are BTL landlords, many of whom are exploiting MP expenses system to further their landlord profits, I don't really see us getting a decent govt who'll fix that any time soon.

13 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

tbh I get what you’re saying, nothings perfect but I can see the detrimental impact of BTL a million times more than I can of bank savings- we surely agree there ?

Absolutely, everyone should have access to decent affordable housing

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Given that 3/4 of government and 1/2 of opposition are BTL landlords, many of whom are exploiting MP expenses system to further their landlord profits, I don't really see us getting a decent govt who'll fix that any time soon.

The same government that removed BTL mortgage interest relief and introduced additional stamp duty for second homes.  Landlords are selling up as the market has been made much less attractive - 400,000 less properties in the PRS since 2017 apparently. 

7 minutes ago, stuie said:

The same government that removed BTL mortgage interest relief and introduced additional stamp duty for second homes.  Landlords are selling up as the market has been made much less attractive - 400,000 less properties in the PRS since 2017 apparently. 

They also made it easier to switch your primary residence so you could dodge BTL restrictions if you already had a property. A tool that is now being utilised by MPs then having another home on expenses.

Edited by kaosmark2

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

More only come here illegally because the Tories have closed down so many legal routes. 

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

the point is people think a much bigger percentage of migrants are illegal than is actually the case. Most come legally. And then even with illegal migrants a big proportion of them are accepted for asylum, so not actually illegal.

Yeah true, I was thinking more about the rise in small boats being due to the Tories shutting down legal routes. 

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I miss Corbyn vs Johnson.

I miss the days of that hung Parliament, that was entertaining.

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

the point is people think a much bigger percentage of migrants are illegal than is actually the case. Most come legally. And then even with illegal migrants a big proportion of them are accepted for asylum, so not actually illegal.

Yeah exactly. The perception is so divorced from the facts. It's like those polls where people think 28% of the British population is Muslim.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

That was no contest - a heavyweight Vs a lightweight.

I don't think you can call it that. It was just a competition of bluster. Neither had any substance to them but one had political savvy and opportunism, the other had mass idealism. Both had an utter inability to admit fault or wrongdoing. Neither had a hint of pragmatism.

Edited by kaosmark2

6 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Not with fptp it won’t be 

No. With FPTP, its the uk now.

What kind of mad extreme scary policies would the german right do if they got into government? Leave the EU maybe? Put refugees on a plane to Rwanda?..

8 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Just never seems to be quite enough to bring him down … maybe council elections will do it ? But that gets very close to general election so completely f**ks them 

They might put enough letters in to trigger a leadership challenge but he'll win it. He'll be their leader at the election I would imagine, as they can't decide on one person to replace him.

32 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I don't think you can call it that. It was just a competition of bluster. Neither had any substance to them but one had political savvy and opportunism, the other had mass idealism. Both had an utter inability to admit fault or wrongdoing. Neither had a hint of pragmatism.

No substance but one had enough support to win,the other empty noise.

15 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They might put enough letters in to trigger a leadership challenge but he'll win it. He'll be their leader at the election I would imagine, as they can't decide on one person to replace him.

None of them actually want anyone else in particular to lead into the GE. He's the sacrificial lamb for losing the GE. They're just fighting for who gets control of the party after that.