news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Labours 28bn green plan was the growth plan. Now it's dependant on growth from  somewhere else. I still they will do it. It means they are lying about taxes or borrowing and the tories will keep asking about it. 

Just now, lazyred said:

Labours 28bn green plan was the growth plan. Now it's dependant on growth from  somewhere else. I still they will do it. It means they are lying about taxes or borrowing and the tories will keep asking about it. 

It’s almost like there’s no money left! I wonder if Greg Hands will still bang on about that note after the election? 

18 minutes ago, lazyred said:

I think they’ve already said it’s from borrowing. I don’t think they are lying rather than playing a tight media game as the media will spin the Tory message otherwise. 

the thing is....currently we have zero growth, and our debt is already 100% of GDP and this debt now costs a lot more to service...so there literally is no money..and if labour are going to spend what is required on public services, and are not going to put up taxes, where is this money going to come from? Where is the growth going to come from? Maybe they have a master plan and it will be amazing, but not convinced personally. 

Edited by steviewevie

33 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

maybe the master plan is they won't actually stick to the fiscal rules.

To be fair, when you’re £2.9 trillion in debt, what’s another £28 billion?

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

the thing is....currently we have zero growth, and our debt is already 100% of GDP and this debt now costs a lot more to service...so there literally is no money..and if labour are going to spend what is required on public services, and are not going to put up taxes, where is this money going to come from? Where is the growth going to come from? Maybe they have a master plan and it will be amazing, but not convinced personally. 

I dare say it doesn’t matter for some, they would moan and pick it apart anyway. 

44 minutes ago, Neil said:

To all the people flooded right now, I feel for you.

To the long thinker engineers of Bristol I thank you for your foresight and the excellent flood defences you built.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Stormwater_Interceptor,_Bristol

Be easier if Marvin had kept the drainage funding instead of using it to fly around the world talking about how corrupt great he is

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Be easier if Marvin had kept the drainage funding instead of using it to fly around the world talking about how corrupt great he is

Mostly the drains get flushed out they come and do my street every year, just p as well Cos I live in a dip.

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

I have been saying this for the last three years as @Ozanne posted, sometimes daily, the same polls showing a big lead for Labour.

Soon as we get into the election campaign it will be different.  Labour need massive swings to take a majority.  The idea the election is in the bag is far from true.  We are probably on course for a hung parliament with the Tories still being the largest party.  Labour need to wipe out the SNP in Scotland, restore the red wall and do well in south / middle England just to get a hung parliament.

don't think hung parliament  - the country wants change, the polls are around accurate i reckon.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

watched some of that Mr Bates vs Post Office drama last night...wasn't really aware of that whole news story even though I did see the headlines...but f**kinell.

private eye were on it for years before it was admitted as an IT cock-up.

Edited by Neil

Just now, Neil said:

don't think hung parliament  - the country wants change, the polls are around accurate i reckon.

For once I'm in agreement with Barry here.

We've also got to factor in the stupidity of the electorate and their tendency to do the "turkeys voting for Christmas" thing.

Just now, Skip997 said:

For once I'm in agreement with Barry here.

We've also got to factor in the stupidity of the electorate and their tendency to do the "turkeys voting for Christmas" thing.

yes but the atmosphere now is more like 1996 than 2019

26 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

So they might want change but that change isn't necessarily Keir.  If on election day they have a choice between two people they don't really want then people tend to go for what they know which isn't good for Keir or Labour when you need historically high swings.

Better the Tory you know?

I’ve said for ages that because 2019 was such a bad result for Labour it is very difficult for them to win a majority at the next election. It’ll take the largest swing in U.K. elections history therefore a hung Parliament is a very real possibility.

However we should be cautious to look back on previous results and think that just because polls have narrowed but a certain amount that they will again, it’s likely that they will be possible that they might not.

Sunak is also dreadful and will be a liability in a GE campaign.

58 minutes ago, Neil said:

not sure what he's on about..fish man talking out his bum again...Ozanne has been saying for ages that he expect polls to tighten and that a hung parliament or small majority for labour is more likely...

and I think so too...but think you're right about country wanting a change, that's how it feels...so I reckon a Labour win but a small/medium majority is most likely at moment, but it could also be a landslide. Problem for labour is Starmer is still pretty unpopular, or at the least not very popular, he just happens to be more popular than Sunak...so leaders are weak points for both parties that the other will expoit in run up to the election.

Edited by steviewevie