news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Part of the reason Javid went originally wasn’t it? The obr wasn’t enamoured with Boris’s spending pledges though this has taken it to a whole new level. That’s why going back to Javid probably makes sense for the tories 

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

All these pesky independent institutions.

He’s never once criticised the Tories. Remember when his whole issue was people getting help with their energy bills? Not the unfunded tax cuts. Tories are shameless.

6 minutes ago, lost said:

Part of the reason Javid went originally wasn’t it? The obr wasn’t enamoured with Boris’s spending pledges though this has taken it to a whole new level. That’s why going back to Javid probably makes sense for the tories 

We still don't know what OBR think do we, forecast was blocked.

Javid quit because Cummings wanted to control him and sack his advisors.

Edited by steviewevie

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

We still don't know what OBR think do we, forecast was blocked.

Javid quit because Cummings wanted to control him and sack his advisors.

Javid tried todefend it as part of this resignation speech:

Sajid Javid has implied that the OBR’s role should be preserved, and defended it alongside the Treasury as a ‘credible institution’. 

In 2010, then chancellor George Osborne set up the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) “to address past weaknesses in the credibility of economic and fiscal forecasting and, consequently, fiscal policy”. It has undoubtedly succeeded on these terms, and has improved the quality of both fiscal forecasts and public debate.

The OBR is widely respected among its international peers. But when the recently resigned chancellor is moved to defend it alongside the Treasury and the Bank of England as “credible institutions…[through which] we arrive at sensible decisions which are in the national interest”, the implication is that the Johnson administration is not as enamoured with the OBR as its predecessors.

Edited by lost

22 minutes ago, lost said:

Javid tried todefend it as part of this resignation speech:

Sajid Javid has implied that the OBR’s role should be preserved, and defended it alongside the Treasury as a ‘credible institution’. 

In 2010, then chancellor George Osborne set up the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) “to address past weaknesses in the credibility of economic and fiscal forecasting and, consequently, fiscal policy”. It has undoubtedly succeeded on these terms, and has improved the quality of both fiscal forecasts and public debate.

The OBR is widely respected among its international peers. But when the recently resigned chancellor is moved to defend it alongside the Treasury and the Bank of England as “credible institutions…[through which] we arrive at sensible decisions which are in the national interest”, the implication is that the Johnson administration is not as enamoured with the OBR as its predecessors.

yeah, well in Johnson's 2019 manifesto it was about bringing down taxes, increasing spending, and bringing down the deficit, so maybe that was it...

So if Truss is going to u turn on the other unfunded tax cut, does that mean that the issue 2 weeks ago that spooked the markets was the unfunded tax cuts all along? I wish someone had said that…

Just been listening to LBC and they have a gilt trader on. He said the only way to get the £ to rise and gilt rates to fall would be to bring Sunak back in. 

If Sunak did come in (a big if), do we think he would close the gap in the polls or do we think the damage is already done for the tories as a whole/ is Labour and Starmers position too compelling for voters?

I have my opinion but keen to see what others think 

1 minute ago, tigger123 said:

Just been listening to LBC and they have a gilt trader on. He said the only way to get the £ to rise and gilt rates to fall would be to bring Sunak back in. 

If Sunak did come in (a big if), do we think he would close the gap in the polls or do we think the damage is already done for the tories as a whole/ is Labour and Starmers position too compelling for voters?

I think the polls would close probably back to where they were showing single digit Labour leads.

The damage has been done for quite a few people though. 

11 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Damage done imo. Can’t see anything but a Labour government in 2 years time. 

issue for me now is how the left of the Labour Party react to starmer having to balance the books.

4 minutes ago, lost said:

issue for me now is how the left of the Labour Party react to starmer having to balance the books.

economy will be growing like crazy by then because of Trussonomics....Starmer will be able to build a green and pleasant land from it.

1 minute ago, lost said:

the left of the party won't accept responsible govt.

22 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

I think he could probably close the gap in the polls, I think Johnson could too, or Mordaunt or Gove...but the gap is massive at moment, so don't think anyone could close it completely, but who knows, 2 years is a long time, people are fickle, circumstances change etc etc