news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Wonder how long it will be before they go quiet on how good the brexit idea was …. Some seem to think it’s still a good idea … wonder if any tories might start to wobble at any point … ? Or have they backed themselves into such a corner now that they can’t back down ? 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Wonder how long it will be before they go quiet on how good the brexit idea was …. Some seem to think it’s still a good idea … wonder if any tories might start to wobble at any point … ? Or have they backed themselves into such a corner now that they can’t back down ? 

Brexit will become religion like thatcher and no one can deny their religion, sunak is the one true thatcherite he says. 

Just now, Neil said:

Brexit will become religion like thatcher and no one can deny their religion, sunak is the one true thatcherite he says. 

Yeah that’s the issue … it’s gonna take someone with some bollocks … but if we do get one their might be some creep from others ….  Not sure the numbers but there were quite a few remainers amongst them … 

This week's politics podcast from Guardian has John Harris talking to David Gauke and Katy Balls about tory leadership election. Gauke was saying Truss is more Reagan than Thatcher, as Thatcher wasn't actually a big tax cutter, whereas Reagan was into tax cutting to stimulate growth which helps pay it back in the end. Also mentioned that despite all the flag waving and culture war stuff which obviously helps her electorally, she is actually quite socially liberal on a lot of stuff, she is basically a libertarian. They also talked about what could happen in subsequent elections, red wall and blue wall and all that. They didn't agree on who would win, could be close, Sunak should be able to claw back votes with shiny eyes and nice smile and thatcherite promises, but might not be enough time.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/audio/2022/jul/21/conservative-special-the-final-two-politics-weekly-uk-podcast

From BBC on Truss' Today interview..

'20 years of economic policy haven't delivered growth'

• On the main point which differentiates the final two candidates, Truss claimed her planned tax cuts won't be inflationary - and said they'll help grow the economy instead of "choking off growth by raising taxes"
  • She also admitted the UK has had economic policy for 20 years which hasn't delivered, which she wants to resolve. That involves 12 years of Tory rule

'Good under pressure'

• It seems a key theme of Truss's campaign will be her track record of performing under pressure - especially her part in supporting Ukraine through the war
  • References to her lengthy and varied government experience - which she has more of than Rishi Sunak - were rife

'I'm my own person'

• The foreign secretary was keen to avoid comparisons with Margaret Thatcher, stating she's "her own person" and from a "very different background" than the former PM

'I was wrong on Brexit'

• Truss said she got it wrong by voting Remain in the 2016 referendum, saying "some of the portents of doom didn't happen"
  • But she said she embraced the result and has fought to take advantage of the opportunities

'I wanted Boris to carry on as PM'

• Truss remained loyal to her current boss and said she wanted Boris Johnson to stay on as PM - but respected the decision of the parliamentary party to oust him
  • Asked if this allegiance brought her judgement into question, Truss said she judged that the positive side of Johnson's balance sheet "was very positive"

I see it’s Truss turn to have that Bobby Ewing moment that Johnson also had,  got out of the shower this morning and the last twelve years haven’t happened and she was never a cabinet member serving under the last three prime ministers, so forget past failures, promises and how you voted against Brexit just start afresh as though it never happened.

Is this the new way of getting a party elected after a long time in government just select a new leader every three years and hope people forget about all the disasters of the previous leaders.

1 hour ago, Cherry Tree said:

I see it’s Truss turn to have that Bobby Ewing moment that Johnson also had,  got out of the shower this morning and the last twelve years haven’t happened and she was never a cabinet member serving under the last three prime ministers, so forget past failures, promises and how you voted against Brexit just start afresh as though it never happened.

Is this the new way of getting a party elected after a long time in government just select a new leader every three years and hope people forget about all the disasters of the previous leaders.

they are their own opposition

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

seeing as members can vote early I think it's probably all over before it began for Sunak.

are you thinking he's too 'exotic' for the members?

8 minutes ago, Neil said:

are you thinking he's too 'exotic' for the members?

I mean...maybe...I don't know...probably just the tax thing, the disloyal to johnson thing, and Truss somehow morphing into Little Miss Brexit and sticking it to johnny foreigner. Truss maybe laughably shit for all of us with her amusing cheese clips and tank pics...but I expect she pushes all the right buttons for tory members...and she has the Mail supporting her...

(I also don't think she's going to be a walkover for labour in an election...but we'll see).