BBC Sound of 2021

Mattymooz

Who is your pick from the Sound Of longlist?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick from the Sound Of longlist?

• Alfie Templeman
    • Berwyn
    • Bree Runway
    • Dutchavelli
    • Girl In Red
    • Greentea Peng
    • Griff
    • Holly Humberstone
    • Pa Salieu
    • The Lathums

the BBC Sound Of Longlist has been announced - Looks like a pretty good mix this year though maybe its just me but they seem a bit more established this year? Who are we liking out of the list, I've still got a couple to listen to before I make any firm judgements....

The Longlist:
Alfie Templeman
Berwyn
Bree Runway
Dutchavelli
Girl In Red
Greentea Peng
Griff
Holly Humberstone
Pa Salieu
The Lathums

Side note: not sure what the second half of the alphabet did this year to only get 2 noms....

I want Bree Runway to win. Although given how Holly Humberstone is being talked about on Annie Mac's show, with the 'lewis capaldi saw her at glastonbury' origin story, I'm expecting her to win. Not sure why given he's never bothered the charts, but apparently Alfie Templeman is on christmas TOTP, so they've got plans for him too.

Dutchavelli being on the list.....christ alive.

10 hours ago, Padjeq said:

I want Bree Runway to win. Although given how Holly Humberstone is being talked about on Annie Mac's show, with the 'lewis capaldi saw her at glastonbury' origin story, I'm expecting her to win. Not sure why given he's never bothered the charts, but apparently Alfie Templeman is on christmas TOTP, so they've got plans for him too.

Isn't Alfie Templeman very young, too? IMO, he's the weaker half of the 'indiegram beach pop scene' (if that's not total nonsense) with Oscar Lang, from when I've stumbled across them both live. As you say, not sure how he's broken through to this point. I don't have any insight, but assume a lot depends on publicity and backing for acts of that type and that there's plenty of politics behind these lists? Would love to read an article in that vein. 

11 hours ago, JHad said:

Isn't Alfie Templeman very young, too? IMO, he's the weaker half of the 'indiegram beach pop scene' (if that's not total nonsense) with Oscar Lang, from when I've stumbled across them both live. As you say, not sure how he's broken through to this point. I don't have any insight, but assume a lot depends on publicity and backing for acts of that type and that there's plenty of politics behind these lists? Would love to read an article in that vein. 

Alfie Templeman is 17 I think.

That would be a great read. Until I get the facts I just assume everyone is on the private school fast track.

• Upvote 1

On 12/9/2020 at 9:44 AM, FakeEmpire said:

Surprised to see Dutch nominated given the recent allegations.

On 12/9/2020 at 11:08 AM, Padjeq said:

Can't believe he got nominated!

I really like Pa Salieu, but Bree Runway is probably my pick. Hyperpop sounds really fresh and that Missy Elliot collab was crazy

• 4 weeks later...

We got a top 5:

5. Griff

Her best song is the one with HONNE. Maybe that's her, maybe that's cuzza HONNE, but it's the only one with a hook that could bother the charts (+ the additional the Postal Service sounding post chorus)

4. Greentea Peng

I'm ambivalent. Surprised she got this high given the lack of promo on Annie Mac's show.

3. Berwyn

Honestly all this time thought he was Dermot Kennedy when I'd hear his song.

2. Holly Humberstone

Annie Mac asked her last night how she feels to be second and she said she's known for months but the thrill hasn't worn off, haha.

1. Pa Salieu

Glad it's him over Templeman. Annie's been playing him a lot.