U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

currently it looks close...so who knows. Campaign could be interesting..will Biden manage a long and exhausting campaign? Last time it was kind of during covid restrictions so easier.

Yeah but Trump is now in his late 70s, has to juggle the campaign around multiple high-profile legal cases and looks increasingly rambling in his public pronouncements, to the point where a whole raft of people are trying to diagnose him with an assortment of mental medical conditions. So it's not as if a long and exhausting campaign around those commitments will be any easier.

I say that, it is still bewildering we're seeing an old man vs an old man for the job. Indeed it's why I felt Republicans should've backed Haley, but clearly they just couldn't help themselves.

23 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Biden looks like the walking dead.

There was a clip of him used on The Daily Show the other day where yeah, he wasn't exactly looking young. But then he is 80. There aren't many people out there who in their 80s look recognisably similar to the way they do in their 40s.

On 4/10/2024 at 6:51 PM, steviewevie said:

Biden looks like the walking dead.

On 4/12/2024 at 9:29 AM, steviewevie said:

this is not going to help Biden...

19 hours ago, steviewevie said:

not sure a war between Israel and Iran would help Biden very much either.

Your dooming over Biden is very funny to me when to my eyes it couldn’t be any more obvious that he’s gonna win.

Trump is absolutely shitting himself and floundering in the process. It’s easy to point at stuff like the economy or wars that America are funding and think it’s gonna hurt Biden, but that doesn’t really add up when the guy on the other side is Trump, the reason the economy is in the sh*t in the first place and who would’ve tried his best to level both Ukraine and Palestine as fast as he could so he could get back to grifting. 

19 hours ago, steviewevie said:

not sure a war between Israel and Iran would help Biden very much either.

I reckon it would. Trump is too unstable for anything like that.

"Two-thirds of registered voters say Trump’s hush money charges are serious" 

"When it comes to the 2024 presidential election, 41% of registered voters say that they would vote for President Joe Biden, and 37% of registered voters say they would vote for Donald Trump if the election was held today." 

https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/two-thirds-registered-voters-say-trumps-hush-money-charges-are-serious

Buckle up for Monday. 

6 minutes ago, clarkete said:

that's just another sign of how much they've lost the plot.

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

You're suggesting that hush money charges aren't serious? 

i don't think they are and don't think many yanks will either, its the land of money where money talks or stops the talk.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

i don't think they are and don't think many yanks will either, its the land of money where money talks or stops the talk.

I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous statement to the house "Two-thirds of registered voters say Trump’s hush money charges are serious". 

Ergo, you don't know what they think. 

2 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

Your dooming over Biden is very funny to me when to my eyes it couldn’t be any more obvious that he’s gonna win.

Trump is absolutely shitting himself and floundering in the process. It’s easy to point at stuff like the economy or wars that America are funding and think it’s gonna hurt Biden, but that doesn’t really add up when the guy on the other side is Trump, the reason the economy is in the sh*t in the first place and who would’ve tried his best to level both Ukraine and Palestine as fast as he could so he could get back to grifting. 

well ok...maybe...but I'm not talking about people switching to Trump because of wars or economy (but some will), but just not voting. Maybe I am being over pessimistic and surely Biden will win..but I am not alone in that pessimism...because it isn't fantasyland but could actually happen. 

2 hours ago, Neil said:

I reckon it would. Trump is too unstable for anything like that.

Trump will just say this happened under Biden's watch, it wouldn't happen under me (and didn't when he was president), and he would fix it in an afternoon because he's a mega deal maker.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Trump will just say this happened under Biden's watch, it wouldn't happen under me (and didn't when he was president), and he would fix it in an afternoon because he's a mega deal maker.

Trump can say whatever he likes doesn't mean that mericans will believe it 

7 hours ago, clarkete said:

"When it comes to the 2024 presidential election, 41% of registered voters say that they would vote for President Joe Biden, and 37% of registered voters say they would vote for Donald Trump if the election was held today." 

https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/two-thirds-registered-voters-say-trumps-hush-money-charges-are-serious

Buckle up for Monday. 

Or indeed for however long it takes to reach a deliberation.

Admittedly I'm surprised this is coming to trial first before his various other things, but clearly it's serious enough to possibly put a thumb on the electoral scale.

6 hours ago, steviewevie said:

well ok...maybe...but I'm not talking about people switching to Trump because of wars or economy (but some will), but just not voting. Maybe I am being over pessimistic and surely Biden will win..but I am not alone in that pessimism...because it isn't fantasyland but could actually happen. 

I don't think it's unreasonable to fear a Trump encore because the Republican party base is mad enough to give him another shot at winning an election and the policy looks, if anything, more hare-brained than before.

Equally, some of the discourse in the last few months has talked about a Trump win as inevitable, and given that several people's hunches at this stage of the 2016 & 2020 ballots proved to be wide of the mark, and my suspicion is that it's still 50/50, I don't think it is worth jumping to conclusions just yet. Sure, Biden is not exactly in the strongest condition. But the fact the Republican party is still besotted by Trump when he has an insane amount of baggage and where I think another candidate could well be an easier ticket to them winning in November means I'm not embracing a defeatist outlook on Biden just yet.

45 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to fear a Trump encore because the Republican party base is mad enough to give him another shot at winning an election and the policy looks, if anything, more hare-brained than before.

Equally, some of the discourse in the last few months has talked about a Trump win as inevitable, and given that several people's hunches at this stage of the 2016 & 2020 ballots proved to be wide of the mark, and my suspicion is that it's still 50/50, I don't think it is worth jumping to conclusions just yet. Sure, Biden is not exactly in the strongest condition. But the fact the Republican party is still besotted by Trump when he has an insane amount of baggage and where I think another candidate could well be an easier ticket to them winning in November means I'm not embracing a defeatist outlook on Biden just yet.

Yeah well I'm just saying inflation rising and wars breaking out in middle east are not helpful to Biden.

32 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah well I'm just saying inflation rising and wars breaking out in middle east are not helpful to Biden.

Trump is helpful to Boden.

11 hours ago, steviewevie said:

20240413_232815.jpg

10 hours ago, Neil said:

good job that he sorted the Iran and Israel problems when he was president.

Trump ruining a deal Obama signed that reined in Iran's nuclear weapons programme just because he wanted to undo Obama's legacy is not ageing well.

12 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I'm perfectly aware of this. I will note there were ME wars during Reagan's decade (notably Iran-Iraq that raged on for most of the 1980s) but the way this situation has escalated in the last six months culminating in the scenes overnight are really far from ideal. Certainly, it will be an extreme test to get them from going further.

Much as I'd feel less on edge if the rest of the world would stop going on about their wish to de-escalate tensions in the region and actually f**king do something that would keep everyone from jumping over the ledge.