Glastonbury documentaries - recommendations

Fish Bulb

I wouldn't recommend Galstonbury: The Movie.

It was shot at the '93 festival, which was the first one I attended, and sadly, the documentary feels like its from a totally different fest than the one I went to. The musical performances are not shot well, simply handheld cameras from the side of the Other stage (no Pyramid at all), but there's not that much music anyway. The doc mostly focuses on the hippy scene and I think they purposely avoided anyone who might be a bit mainstream (which I am/was) so the overall vibe is very counter-culture and actually quite annoying on places.

18 minutes ago, Fish Bulb said:

Thanks all, I've plonked the recommendations from this and the other aforementioned thread in a YouTube playlist for later viewing here.

Interesting opinions on the "Glastonbury" documentary. I guess I'll give it a try but not get my hopes up.

Beware. Glastonbury: The Movie and Glastonbury (the Julien Temple one) are two totally separate films...

15 hours ago, maelzoid said:

I wouldn't recommend Galstonbury: The Movie.

It was shot at the '93 festival, which was the first one I attended, and sadly, the documentary feels like its from a totally different fest than the one I went to. The musical performances are not shot well, simply handheld cameras from the side of the Other stage (no Pyramid at all), but there's not that much music anyway. The doc mostly focuses on the hippy scene and I think they purposely avoided anyone who might be a bit mainstream (which I am/was) so the overall vibe is very counter-culture and actually quite annoying on places.

This is sums up perfectly how I feel about it.

93 was my second Glastonbury and when I watch it it just feels so different to what I remember.

If there wasn't footage of bands that I watched, I wouldn't recognise it at all

19 hours ago, lukethekid said:

The Julian Temple film is really good I love it, watched it the night before ticket day with the rest of the troops just to make sure everyone’s F5 finger was that little bit more inspired.

There are 2 Julien Temple Glastonbury films, Glastopia is one, this is the other - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_(film) - not sure if it's online, I have it on DVD - you can probably pick a copy up easily and cheaply.

2 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

There are 2 Julien Temple Glastonbury films, Glastopia is one, this is the other - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_(film) - not sure if it's online, I have it on DVD - you can probably pick a copy up easily and cheaply.

I meant the second one you mentioned, haven’t saw Glastopia, didn’t even know it existed, that’ll be being bought next.