Future Headliners

Mr. Snrub

On 10/30/2019 at 6:21 PM, Matt42 said:

Post is a weird one. I guess we don’t know whether he’s someone who Emily has her eye on. Yeah he plays big shows across the world but I don’t think he puts on enough of a stage show to get Emily’s attention. From what I’ve seen he tends to come on stage with a hoodie and sweat pants and just sing his songs.

Drake is one of those acts that is probably too expensive. However, I imagine he will he asked or seriously asked at some point. If Jay, Kanye, Kendrick, Travis have played by that point it’s probably going to happen eventually. I don’t think Drake will be that great on the night though.

Ariana will happen on the next album I reckon. She’s done a fair few festivals this year so I reckon she’d be open to it.

I don't even know what a Drake does.

15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Guitar based bands will be there but it’ll be Foos, Muse, Coldplay, Arctics and probably Liam fucking Gallagher, all on a five year cycle.

There being more pop acts is to do with how they’re only starting to embrace/be embraced by the festival as attitudes have changed. Not that guitar bands now aren’t big or good enough, they woulda been big enough if it was 2003, just the crowd’s changing.

It definitely is that. It's so hard to write a good guitar track that hasn't been done before, there generally isn't much of a chance to have a rich seam any more, so because radio need something to play, they play whatever, like the fucking shite that we currently endure and will endure in ever decreasing circles of pap. The problem is, the more you listen to something and are told "this is decent" your brain is conditioned to agree. It's a survival mechanism. If anyone is thinking we are currently in a good period for music, I'm made up for you...but...

Festivals are just now looking to the money, which is fair enough, but there is no fucking way George Ezra headlines on merit.

14 hours ago, jparx said:

Nope

Nope - they could have been on the trajectory but it’s gone

Possibly, depending on future albums. Could be a late replacement type deal.

Nope - and judging from their new singles it doesn’t seem like they’re striving for it either (although I do very much rate their new music!)

Nope

Would The 1975 class as a guitar band? They’re the only one I can see  outside the usual suspects. 

Kidding yourself. XX least likely. Royal Blood album a banger. Strokes would be as big (bigger) as a KoL, i.e. clearly big enough. Foals and Wolf Alice have their future in their hands and have the ability to go wherever they want. 

Will I agree the taste of the demographic has generally shifted away from "guitar-band" music I think it's naive that the festival will drop that kinda act from the headliner line-up completely. Taking the last decade as an example, 2020 would've been the first time there was only ONE guitar-headliner, all previous years have had;

• 2019 - 2
  • 2017 - 3
  • 2016  - 2
  • 2015 - 2
  • 2014 - 3
  • 2013 - 3
  • 2011  - 2

I'd be shocked if there isn't at least one for the foreseeable. And if so I'd much rather they gave the 'Stormzy-bump' to the likes of Royal Blood/Wolf Alice/The xx than booking Muse again. 

18 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

No-one's specifically been demanding it over the past couple of pages, but it is a generally recurring theme.

Perfectly reasonable that people want to hear music they enjoy at a festival they love.

8 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Also, when I went to check my numbers for the above post - look who it bloody isn't https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/look-headliners-glastonbury-festival-1970-47265

@crazyfool1

This is partly why this site is so wrong 🙂 they show photos of me rather than the standard publications that show People in Hunter wellies 🙂 

10 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Will I agree the taste of the demographic has generally shifted away from "guitar-band" music I think it's naive that the festival will drop that kinda act from the headliner line-up completely. Taking the last decade as an example, 2020 would've been the first time there was only ONE guitar-headliner, all previous years have had;

• 2019 - 2
  • 2017 - 3
  • 2016  - 2
  • 2015 - 2
  • 2014 - 3
  • 2013 - 3
  • 2011  - 2

I'd be shocked if there isn't at least one for the foreseeable. And if so I'd much rather they gave the 'Stormzy-bump' to the likes of Royal Blood/Wolf Alice/The xx than booking Muse again. 

Which is why I asked about potential guitar based future headliners yesterday. 

The festival will likely have at least 1-2 top The Pyramid each year. 

If they don’t bump someone at some point we’re left with Muse, Coldplay and Arctics et al on rotation forever more.

Even Chris Martin will get bored of that.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Sure. But even if rock music no longer generating acts with the right quality / credibility / popularity balance to top the bill the line-up is still generally stacked with it.

Very true.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Agree its a fine art and all about the balance.  Dua Lipa looks bolted on to headline at some point but they'd seek to balance her out with e.g. an Elton or a Guns & Roses rather than having a top of the bill that's all pop acts getting their first bite at the cherry.

Dua, Reg and Arctic Monkeys for instance would be a pretty balanced trio in terms of something for everyone.

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Like 1