Future Headliners

Mr. Snrub

2 minutes ago, CJTM said:

Flash in the pan radio hit, they roll around every year.

Should probably wait til he's released another album and see how that goes down. He got to #2 on a collab with Calvin Harris at the start of this year. 

I'm not saying he'll headline but I think it's too early to make your statement with any certainty. 

Saw Post Malone at Pukkelpop. I did not enjoy what he did. The reviews on Humo were hilarious, giving him 2 stars. The review is in Dutch, but you can translate it:  https://www.humo.be/pukkelpop/404411/post-malone-op-pukkelpop-2019-op-zn-best-een-matig-rapper-maar-wel-een-geweldig-post-malone

Highlights include: "Post Malone is a moderate rapper at best, but he is a great Post Malone" and "Post had so much unused space on the main stage that he could rent out most of the Main Stage on Airbnb"

I do think that if he doesn't go over well at Pukkel (who I thought would have been eating out of his hands) then he is a long way from Glastonbury headliner.

45 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

What happened to that Rag and Bone Chap?

The other stage was mobbed for him a couple of years ago, and at that point I'd have put money on him headlining. Since then ... nowt.

I’d say he’s a mediocre radio musician which fills a gap on pop playlists. No one finds him exciting which is why he isn’t considered a top tier booking.

Some acts are born to play afternoon slots and fill a quota and he’s one of them. The quota is providing music for those who don’t do much more than put radio 1 on during their morning commute. 

How about The XX? Worked their way up the stages, if their 4th album continues to grow their sound out they could have a wide repertoire. Their sub slot seemed to go down well in the light, but they are best in the dark, and reckon they'd be able to do a banging job of it.

1 hour ago, matichin said:

How about The XX? Worked their way up the stages, if their 4th album continues to grow their sound out they could have a wide repertoire. Their sub slot seemed to go down well in the light, but they are best in the dark, and reckon they'd be able to do a banging job of it.

Agreed they absolutely nailed the sub spot which is no mean feat. It'll come down to how well album 4 does. 

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

Too early to tell if we're honest, although the speculation's part of the fun.  Based on first albums and early career hype you'd have had people talking Klaxons as surefire future headliners and Radiohead as somewhere in the midcard on JPT.

EDIT: general comment on people like Sam Fender and the like, not a response to The xx or similar. Just to clarify that one.

Edited by Quark

27 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The XX are great and I’d love to see them headline but I feel they are the type of band where if it came between taking a lower slot and not playing they probably would accept a lower slot.

What makes you think that? 

• 1 year later...
19 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Been thinking about this. Surely the below will be headlining at some point?

The Weeknd

Dua Lipa

Dave

Billie Eilish

Ariana Grande

I think Dua will on album #3. Billie probably at some point, unless she burns straight past GF like Gaga did.

The others I don’t see.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think Dua will on album #3. Billie probably at some point, unless she burns straight past GF like Gaga did.

The others I don’t see.

Bookmark me, after videos come out of Dave’s headline set at Parklife this year this forum will talk about him as a headliner.

Ariana is overdue being asked / headlining.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Bookmark me, after videos come out of Dave’s headline set at Parklife this year this forum will talk about him as a headliner.

Ariana is overdue being asked / headlining.

Will they? How many acts have headlined Glastonbury off the back of Parklife exactly? Stormzy was a cultural phenomenon, both on and off the stage, Dave isn’t anywhere near that level yet.

I don’t see Ariana ever being asked. Certainly not to headline at any rate.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Will they? How many acts have headlined Glastonbury off the back of Parklife exactly? Stormzy was a cultural phenomenon, both on and off the stage, Dave isn’t anywhere near that level yet.

I don’t see Ariana ever being asked. Certainly not to headline at any rate.

Think you're underestimating Dave’s popularity. But that’s your opinion!

I reckon Ariana has already been asked.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Think you're underestimating Dave’s popularity. But that’s your opinion!

I reckon Ariana has already been asked.

Maybe I am, but as I said, Stormzy was more than a headline set, it was a cultural moment. I don’t see them going back to the Grime well any time soon.

When would Ariana have been asked exactly? Obviously not last year and with two cancelled festivals there will be a backlog of acts lining up to headline. I could easily name a dozen acts the festival would approach before her.

On 5/11/2021 at 9:55 PM, Hugh Jass said:

Maybe I am, but as I said, Stormzy was more than a headline set, it was a cultural moment. I don’t see them going back to the Grime well any time soon.

When would Ariana have been asked exactly? Obviously not last year and with two cancelled festivals there will be a backlog of acts lining up to headline. I could easily name a dozen acts the festival would approach before her.

Before the lockdown Emily said they had three headliners in mind for 2021 already. Hindsight tells us Ari had an album releasing late 2020 and probably a tour planned for 2021.

Considering they asked Taylor first off the back of reputation (2017), and the same with Kendrick off the back of Damn, and they both promised to headline on their next tours - I can imagine something similar for Ari.

53 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Before the lockdown Emily said they had three headliners in mind for 2021 already. Hindsight tells us Ari had an album releasing late 2020 and probably a tour planned for 2021.

Considering they asked Taylor first off the back of reputation (2017), and the same with Kendrick off the back of Damn, and they both promised to headline on their next tours - I can imagine something similar for Ari.

They say that every year.

Is Grande even that popular in the UK? Would the average Glastonbury punter care? She doesn’t strike as a GF Headliner much in the way 1D and the like never were.

If the festival want to go back for female pop stars I’d imagine them going after Swift, Eilish, Gaga, Dua Lipa and even trying for Madonna before considering Arianna Grande.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They say that every year.

Is Grande even that popular in the UK? Would the average Glastonbury punter care? She doesn’t strike as a GF Headliner much in the way 1D and the like never were.

If the festival want to go back for female pop stars I’d imagine them going after Swift, Eilish, Gaga, Dua Lipa and even trying for Madonna before considering Arianna Grande.

Just my view - Ariana is just as popular, if not more popular, than some of them. She’s a gigantic popstar which has just started playing festivals, I imagine she’d be someone the festival would want to book.

At the time she said that Swift was already booked, Dua was headlining the other stage, and it feels like Gaga and Madonna are weirdly distant from the festival and I bet they’ve been asked many times.

Billie is probably at the top of the list too but I think there is probably a bit of a bottleneck now due to COVID delays.

Obviously I don’t have proof but I feel like Ariana is probably closer to the top of the list than you think. I wouldn’t be surprised if she was asked one year.

Edited by Matt42

Potential future headliners: Rihanna, Ariana Grande, Dua Lipa, Lizzo, Dave, Billie Eilish, The 1975, Biffy Clyro, Foals, Spice Girls, The XX, Lewis Capaldi, AC/DC, Lady Gaga...

I'd really like to see Glastonbury take more risks with headliners. They are definitely in the position to create new festival headliners and it would be great if we could have one obvious 'bump up' each year alongside 2 more safe or established names.

Stormzy was seen as a gamble by many but it absolutely paid off - a cultural moment that brought Glastonbury to so many people who might not have been interested before.

I'd love to see them give a chance to acts like Wolf Alice, Bicep, Bring Me The Horizon.

1 hour ago, FakeEmpire said:

Potential future headliners: Rihanna, Ariana Grande, Dua Lipa, Lizzo, Dave, Billie Eilish, The 1975, Biffy Clyro, Foals, Spice Girls, The XX, Lewis Capaldi, AC/DC, Lady Gaga...

I'd really like to see Glastonbury take more risks with headliners. They are definitely in the position to create new festival headliners and it would be great if we could have one obvious 'bump up' each year alongside 2 more safe or established names.

Stormzy was seen as a gamble by many but it absolutely paid off - a cultural moment that brought Glastonbury to so many people who might not have been interested before.

I'd love to see them give a chance to acts like Wolf Alice, Bicep, Bring Me The Horizon.

I genuinely think Rihanna has quit music. She’s become a billionaire from makeup I don’t think she’s bothered.

I think in the next decade we'll see the following first time headliners:

Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish, George Ezra, Fleetwood Mac, The Weeknd, Depeche Mode,

There are also a few heritage acts out there that COULD do it if circumstances and fees allow - Reg, Madge, GnR...

Then the acts that will be pressed up against the sub/headliner ceiling and may or may not break through - The 1975. Royal Blood, Wolf Alice, Dave

On 10/31/2019 at 10:58 PM, Matt42 said:

I’d say he’s a mediocre radio musician which fills a gap on pop playlists. No one finds him exciting which is why he isn’t considered a top tier booking.

I can’t place the guy at all. A few years back (not at the height of his fame but certainly not a nobody), he was booked to appear in a little marquee just up the road. It wasn’t a festival, it was literally a tiny street event with a small tent that probably held a hundred people or so. Weird. 

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think in the next decade we'll see the following first time headliners:

Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish, George Ezra, Fleetwood Mac, The Weeknd, Depeche Mode,

There are also a few heritage acts out there that COULD do it if circumstances and fees allow - Reg, Madge, GnR...

Then the acts that will be pressed up against the sub/headliner ceiling and may or may not break through - The 1975. Royal Blood, Wolf Alice, Dave

If Lewis Capaldi continues on his current trajectory I wouldn't be surprised to see him headline either.