Greta Thunberg

Matt42

2 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Does it take the severest climate event, killing a million by starvation or drowning, or 5 million trying to migrate, to spur real change??

Not only that, that’ll need to happen in Western Europe or the US. Think about the floods, natural catastrophes etc that already happen in the developing world. The vast majority of us look at it, say how awful it is, then shrug and carry on with their lifestyle. Until it personally affects them, people won’t change.

Man, I didn’t realise how gloomy I was about all of this till I started to contribute to this thread the other day. As EM Forster said, “How do I know what I think until I see what I say”

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

Man, I didn’t realise how gloomy I was about all of this till I started to contribute to this thread the other day. As EM Forster said, “How do I know what I think until I see what I say”

Ha, to lighten it a little my favourite EM Forster quote is " I'd like a small house with large rooms and plenty of them", I've used it on Neil many times.....no good. :D

Edited by Kizzie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kizzie said:

Ha, to lighten it a little my favourite EM Forster quote is " I'd like a small house with large rooms and plenty of them", I've used it on Neil many times.....no good. :D

haha, that's a great quote, I'm definitely going to steal that

17 hours ago, clasher said:

No, I'm saying long haul flying isn't that big a problem, is necessary and can be as it is until some hyperloop comes along. And it's not like nothing changes, as the new long haul planes such as B787 or A350 require significantly less fuel as the older models. 

it's one of the most-inefficient uses of fossel fuels. That makes it a problem. It's growing. That makes it a problem.

Its place in global emissions is so low because flying is currently out of the price range of much of the rest of the world, but that's changing fast. 

There's been hyperloop designs for over 50 years. Not happened yet.

17 hours ago, clasher said:

My plan would be #maketrainsgreatagain, since that is the only realistical way of diminishing air travel

trains certainly have a part to play.

But the biggest part will be played - or not - by a reduction in me-ism. 

38 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

But the biggest part will be played - or not - by a reduction in me-ism. 

Bang on. The dominant narrative since the second world war is the rise of individualism, in terms of art, music, culture generally, but also in terms of social structures. A decline in organsised religon, trade unionism etc . Everything in modern society is about convincing you that you’re an individual.

It always amazes me that when a scientist discovers a cure for a serious illness or invents something that benefits society they are quite rightly lauded by politicians, media etc and very little or any criticism is directed towards them

but

if the vast majority of distinguished scientists, climatologists and naturalists warn about the devastation we are inflicting on the planet then politicians such as Trump and others refuse to believe them and criticise the warnings.